IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Transponder Scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 06:02 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt get a leather case from my dealer well now mines got little straches on it from being in my pockey with my phone sometimes and droping it
Old 07-13-07, 07:51 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
EXACTLY what I did! I dont think it looks that bad. Most people that have seen it are impressed that Lexus keys come with their own leather case! Heres what mine looks like:
Now cut off the nylon lining to show the Lexus LOGO
Attached Thumbnails Key Transponder Scratches?-is-001-small-.jpg  
Old 07-13-07, 08:06 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chaotix382
I would like to take that little leather wrap off the key transponder to reduce bulk, but I'm worried about it getting all scratched up (life as an ipod owner changes you in ways you wouldnt expect!). Am i being completely OCD about this? Does anyone know if they are prone to scratches?

OMG I would take that case off immediately, just think of the irreversible damage you are doing to your back and legs by carrying all of that excess bulk in and out of starbucks, plus without it you could carry at least 2-3 more tic tacs....
Old 07-13-07, 08:52 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^classic.

Or maybe a day's supply of dental floss if not tic tacs.
Old 07-13-07, 09:04 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Poor little cow gave it's life so we could have the key case cover. Sniffle.
Old 07-13-07, 10:09 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by andoy
i never got those =(
Just grab them for the glove box next time your in a loaner.
Old 07-13-07, 11:40 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Poor little cow gave it's life so we could have the key case cover. Sniffle.
No, no, no.

Look at it from a brighter side.

Poor little cow gave it's life so we could have leather seats.

And we show respect for the cow's sacrifice by using its gift to the fullest and making key gloves out of leftovers .

Also, steak is awesome.

Thank you cow, we love you.
Old 07-14-07, 09:31 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

I keep the leather on and a picture of my daghter in it, aside from that its just a key fob that resides in my pocket...I say get a chip imbedded in your thumb then you'll just have to worry about keeping your hands clean.
Old 07-14-07, 11:57 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4fsr

This is what I did to mine too.
Old 07-14-07, 02:41 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Default Transponder/transmitter is too bulky

Why do these units have to be so bulky and heavy. Place them in your pocket and they bulge and weigh the pocket down uneccessarily. Surely Lexus has the technology to produce a smaller/flatter unit with the same capabilities. I have a pocket calculator that came in the sleeve of the inside cover of a pocket diary. It is about 3 mm thick and is 25 YEARS old!
Also I seem to remember seeing a recent pic of some high-end car (not sure which) with the transponder sitting on the centre console and it appeared to be smaller than a credit card. Come on Lexus, this is not rocket science.
Old 07-15-07, 08:57 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NGG
Why do these units have to be so bulky and heavy. Place them in your pocket and they bulge and weigh the pocket down uneccessarily. Surely Lexus has the technology to produce a smaller/flatter unit with the same capabilities. I have a pocket calculator that came in the sleeve of the inside cover of a pocket diary. It is about 3 mm thick and is 25 YEARS old!
Also I seem to remember seeing a recent pic of some high-end car (not sure which) with the transponder sitting on the centre console and it appeared to be smaller than a credit card. Come on Lexus, this is not rocket science.
I/m sure if they wanted to that they could make it about the size of 2 quarters stacked together, however the buttons would be very hard to push due to being so small (people would complain about that) it would be easier to lose (people would complain about that) battery life would be drastically reduced (people would complain about that) and it wouldn't be able to put up with daily abuses such as people throwing them on the table when they come in the door or god knows what it gets thrown against in the wifes purse (and people would complain about that also). So I guess if people just didn't complain so much about functionality and cost to replace then they would probably make a smaller key fob.
Old 07-15-07, 09:25 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
I/m sure if they wanted to that they could make it about the size of 2 quarters stacked together,
Don't forget that the fob also contains the mechanical key needed to gain entry to the vehicle in the event that the fob battery or vehicle battery dies.
Old 07-15-07, 09:52 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by l1tech
battery life would be drastically reduced (people would complain about that)
Good analysis. My skinny calculator, referred to in my earlier post, is light powered (solar powered?) therfore no need for batteries. Also the buttons are membrane type....many more than the 3-4 required for a transponder thus allowing for increased size "buttons". Material could be tough enough to withstand daily abuse, but if small enough could fit in wallet/purse no different than a credit card. Challenge is the mechanical key...size, shape, storage...maybe no need for key? Quite sure Lexus has the resources to make this happen economically.
Old 07-15-07, 10:56 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Nice I never thought of doing that! The only thing that kinda bugs be about that was is that now the logo on the leather glove is upside down from the logo on the key. I kinda liked how they both faced the same direction with the back of the cardboard logo. I still might do this though, its kinda nice looking. Maybe Ill do it to my spare key and have one of each! lol
Old 07-15-07, 10:52 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I actually use this lether case... ya its a little bulker but I dont mind I got deep pockets
Attached Thumbnails Key Transponder Scratches?-img_6308.jpg  

Quick Reply: Key Transponder Scratches?