IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bye bye to my IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 08:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Since we've heard all this before, I'm going to politely ask everyone stay on topic. We have owners of many marques on the site. If there is a REAL maintenance/warranty issue with jman's car we'll let him talk about it if he chooses. Anything else is just speculation, BMW bashing, or outright rude.

Congrats on the new ride, and let's stay ON TOPIC!
Old 07-02-07, 01:35 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

haha so funny. all my friends with 335's saw your post on e90post and IM'd me the link and said. OWNED OWNED OWNED. 335i > IS350. well not exactly like that, but in a nutshell
Old 07-02-07, 02:25 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Since we've heard all this before, I'm going to politely ask everyone stay on topic. We have owners of many marques on the site. If there is a REAL maintenance/warranty issue with jman's car we'll let him talk about it if he chooses. Anything else is just speculation, BMW bashing, or outright rude.

Congrats on the new ride, and let's stay ON TOPIC!
Just sold my BMW in favor of an IS350, so not bashing, just honest. My experience with the car was very bad as it suffered several serious problems in the first 2 years. I don't think all BMWs are like this, its just that there tend to be a few bad eggs or so out of every hundred that roll off the line. Nevertheless, it will be a stretch for me to go back to the marque after my experience, especially if the Lexus impresses me in ways the BMW never could (luxury, reliability AND performance). I never thought I would come around, but I am actually willing to compromise somewhat on performance in favor of reliability. If it were a track car, it would be a different story, I'm sure.

Fortunately, there are a few minor mods that can be done to my IS which will put it in the same handling league (if not 'feel')

As jman has said, it's a lease, so he won't have any regrets even if the worst happens.
Old 07-02-07, 04:40 PM
Cliffj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similiar situation between the BMW 335i vs IS 350. It looks like I will be leaving the BMW camp at the end of the month in favor of an 08 IS 350.

I won't bash on BMW, because I have had good luck with all three of the 3 series I have owned (89 325is, 92 325i and 00 328i). All with sport packages and manual transmissions. I have had very little trouble with them, and currently have 166K on my 328i and it is going strong. I suspect it will last well over 200K, but I am going to give it to my son while he finishes high school.

Since I still have 8 yrs of college to fund for my last two children, I looked at what I would like and could afford in the BMW line, and about all I could splurge on new would be a low featured 335i (just spt pkg, upgraded IPOD interface, XM & HD radio). No leather, no automatic, no navigation.

I drove the IS350 one day on a whim. I was impressed with the sport suspension's ride and HANDLING. I was also impressed with the feature content for the money, and was sold by the Lexus reputation of reliablity. I base that opinion on the JD Power surveys, and how few REAL problems people complain about on this website and other Lexus forums.

I need a car that I feel can last 6-8 yrs, and 200K miles. Jury is still out on the 335i. It is already having teething problems, as many first year cars do, but I can't trust that an 08 model 335i will solve all problems. Also, no one has 100K on a 335i, so how well the turbos will last is still unkown. I don't suspect it will be cheap to replace them.

In the end, the BMW does have better "feel", but for me at least, the LEXUS is still fun to drive, has more feature content for the price, and has a better reputation for reliability.

Only time will tell....

Cliffj
Old 07-02-07, 06:08 PM
oliveryo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pmed you but you haven't told me if you are willing to ship to Taiwan. Of course i would pay for the shipping

Will you just part the exhaust?