IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone feel that the steering wheel is too soft and slippery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 05:21 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone feel that the steering wheel is too soft and slippery?

I test drove one today and it's the right size and shape, but I find that the leather used is real soft and I never had a good grip unless I squeezed harder. I'm coming from an 04 Accord LX which is not leather wrapped but there are small perforated holes that gives me a good grip. I LOVE everything about the IS350 aside from the wheel.

I also liked how it looks matte and flat instead of that shiny glossy look that I see on my friend's Acura (granted he's had it for a year now). He doesn't condition it with a leather product either. Does the IS350's wheel stay matte or will it become glossy also?
Old 05-28-07, 05:31 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tracerit
I test drove one today and it's the right size and shape, but I find that the leather used is real soft and I never had a good grip unless I squeezed harder. I'm coming from an 04 Accord LX which is not leather wrapped but there are small perforated holes that gives me a good grip. I LOVE everything about the IS350 aside from the wheel.

I also liked how it looks matte and flat instead of that shiny glossy look that I see on my friend's Acura (granted he's had it for a year now). He doesn't condition it with a leather product either. Does the IS350's wheel stay matte or will it become glossy also?
Truth be told, I've never really paid attention to that aspect of the steering wheel. Actually, I think it's just right and mine has stayed with the "matte" look.

Have you tried using those "puffed" areas at the 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock positions? I've noticed that they do help with the grip and for a specific reason.

I think you'll get used to it.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 05-28-07, 05:37 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
Truth be told, I've never really paid attention to that aspect of the steering wheel. Actually, I think it's just right and mine has stayed with the "matte" look.

Have you tried using those "puffed" areas at the 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock positions? I've noticed that they do help with the grip and for a specific reason.

I think you'll get used to it.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Yeah, I LOVE those thumb grips. It's just when I turned (the turning diameter is amazing btw), I let go of my 9 and 3 positions and my hands slid slightly.
Old 05-28-07, 05:55 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

......uh.... not going to touch that one....
Old 05-28-07, 05:56 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tracerit
Yeah, I LOVE those thumb grips. It's just when I turned (the turning diameter is amazing btw), I let go of my 9 and 3 positions and my hands slid slightly.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I still think it's a great steering wheel personally though. I like the feel and of it. (That sort of sounds bad.) But really I do like the feel of it personally.

About that turning radious, the IS reminds me of those zero turn riding lawnmowers. It's amazing how tight these things will turn. The only hair raising part about it is when you do turn it to the max, it feels like there is a knife slicing off the outer edge or your front tires. I hope that's just not mine either.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 05-28-07, 06:01 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a side note, is the leather synthetic or is it real?
Old 05-28-07, 06:05 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iskcon
On a side note, is the leather synthetic or is it real?
I believe it's real genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Binding leather. Lexus uses only the best. The steering wheel costs around 30k, the rest of the car is built around it.

No seriously, it's the real deal.
Old 05-28-07, 07:39 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

i think the steering wheel is great. compared to my eclipse and civic, the lexus has the best grip. i've never driven a car with more grip on the steering wheel. the only way i would expect there to be more grip is if there is one of those rubber steering wheel covers on.
Old 05-28-07, 08:20 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No complaints or arguements on the steering wheel at all. The fineness of the leather fits well with the overall luxury. Not an issue at all for me.
Old 05-28-07, 09:07 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Overall the leather in this car is too soft and comfortable. Everytime I get into it and drive it, i feel like falling asleep. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad!
Old 05-28-07, 09:19 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the wheel of this car..its so classy and so clean looking. I think the 2IS wheel is by far the best wheel ive seen except for the new audi wheels..those are also very classy
Old 05-28-07, 10:24 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

I liked how plush the seats were too, I test drove the G35S afterwards and that thing was like a rock compared to IS.
Old 05-29-07, 07:41 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I believe it's real genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Binding leather. Lexus uses only the best.
No seriously, it's the real deal.
Interesting...Saskatchewan, huh. It is amazing how marketers will juice up thier products but they may want to do some more research so their credibility is not jeopardized. Saskatchewen is a landlocked Canadian Province, i.e. no access to seas or oceans. Unless Lexus found freshwater seals (never heard of any in Canada) it would ne interesting to know the genesis of this appelation.

On the matter of will the wheel leather turn shiny. Yes, it will over time and prolonged use...skin oils, cleaners, conditioners, etc. I wish it did not as I like the matt appearance and feel.
Old 05-29-07, 07:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least it isn't wood. It looks great, but feels odd on a sports car...
Old 05-29-07, 09:29 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it is slippery or soft at all....I like it....

Quick Reply: Anyone feel that the steering wheel is too soft and slippery?