IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!

Old 04-23-07, 02:13 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider this scenario:

Husband need to catch a morning flight.
He put the keyfob in his pocket, walked to his new Corvette Z06.
At the same time, wife found out her car wouldnt start (dead battery), so she decided to drive the husband's Z06 and told the husband that she will drop him off at the terminal.
Husband agreed.
They drove in his new Z06 to the airport. The wife was on the passanger seat. Reached the terminal, the husband kissed her goodbye and make the switch: wife became the driver now. Husband went into the terminal, checked in for his flight and went to the gate.
Wife was stucked in traffic for an hour+ and she finally arrived at her workplace late.
She was going to turn off the engine, uh-oh..... where is the key?
"Oh Shoot, I forget to get the keyfob from my husband when I dropped him off!", she told herself.
All she saw was the start button. No keys.
Husband's cellphone was turned off; he is on the air for the next 5 hours.
End of her workshift, she asked her friend to driver her all the way home to get the spare keyfob and then the same person need to driver her back to the office so that she can driver her corvette home.
What a day!

This is a true story.
It happened to my friend and his wife.

Last edited by SugarRush; 04-23-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 05:51 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something like this actually happened to me.

I was driving my Grandmother around in her 06 GS350. She just leaves her key in her purse. Since she is 80, its hard for her to walk and all the Handicap spaces were taken so I had to park farther away. I dropped her off at the curb and then proceeded to park the car. I completly forgot about the key fob being in her purse. The car kept beeping at me and it kept reminding me that the key was not in the car. Needeless to say, I parked the car as quick as I could. I am thankful that the car did not turn off in the middle of the shopping complex.

If the car turned off on me, I would have had a mess on my hands.

Last edited by pingu; 04-24-07 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-23-07, 06:28 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SugarRush
Consider this scenario:

At the same time, wife found out her car wouldnt start (dead battery), so she decided to drive the husband's Z06 and told the husband that she will drop him off at the terminal.
Husband agreed.
They drove in his new Z06 to the airport. The wife was on the passanger seat. Reached the terminal, the husband kissed her goodbye and make the switch: wife became the driver now. Husband went into the terminal, checked in for his flight and went to the gate.
Wife was stucked in traffic for an hour+ and she finally arrived at her workplace late.
"Oh Shoot, I forget to get the keyfob from my husband when I dropped him off!", she told herself.
End of her workshift, she asked her friend to driver her all the way home to get the spare keyfob and then the same person need to driver her back to the office so that she can driver her corvette home.
What a day!

This is a true story.
And this is a bad design on Lexus's part? What, exactly, could Lexus have done to prevent this?
Old 04-23-07, 07:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SugarRush
Consider this scenario:

Husband agreed.
What a day!

This is a true story.
that is nothing more than a mere incovenience over silly forgetfulness that only happens to less than 1% of us. hardly something i need to factor into my design.

5 hour airplane + no visual warning of keys afar + cellphone off + two adults forget about the keys + driving yourself to the airport while having someone else drive the car back + a dead battery?

ok wait, i have the answer for them. put a third and a fourth spare key fob at each of their workplaces. and a fifth spare key fob permanently in her purse. problem solved for adults who tend to forget and/or can't stand to be slightly put off. me? i don't need it.
Old 04-23-07, 09:46 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

What should have been done was if the car was started and you walk away and key is not detected and the car gets shift out of park it will shut down. Thats what BMW does with their Comfort Access Cars...

You can start the car leave it in park or Neutral on SMG cars and walk away with the key and if someone else jumps in and tries to put it in gear it will shut off if the key is not detected.
Old 04-24-07, 09:22 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^either way, not a big deal. both have pros and cons.
Old 04-24-07, 11:10 AM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
iirc.

so you can start the car, leave a remote in the car, get out the car while it is still running and close the door, and lock the car with a second remote in your pocket while you go inside your house.
It would not work, because i left my key inside the cabin and tried to lock the car with the 2nd key and the IS will beep - it's indicating that you've left your keys inside the car.

If you live in a very hot/cold region and need to cool down/warm up your car before driving, then get the heated/ventilated seat options! Even without this option, the Lexus A/C/Heat unit is very efficient and the cabin temperature usually warms up/cools down within a few minutes.

Anyways, I'm glad remote start isn't offered in the Lexus. Idling the car to warm up/cool down pollutes the environment more than actually driving the car. For the guy who starts his car in the garage I hope you're not leaving a running car with the garage door closed - nothing more lethal than exposing your 10-month old baby to a room full of deadly exhaust fumes!

Last edited by neova; 04-24-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 11:11 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Yeah Yeah Yeah Let's move onto something informative. Also. HiHi410 i really like the common sense remark LOL!
Old 04-24-07, 03:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neova
It would not work, because i left my key inside the cabin and tried to lock the car with the 2nd key and the IS will beep - it's indicating that you've left your keys inside the car.

when then something is wrong with either your car or mine.
Old 04-24-07, 05:26 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
What should have been done was if the car was started and you walk away and key is not detected and the car gets shift out of park it will shut down. Thats what BMW does with their Comfort Access Cars...

You can start the car leave it in park or Neutral on SMG cars and walk away with the key and if someone else jumps in and tries to put it in gear it will shut off if the key is not detected.
That could potentially really suck if the battery in the remote dies.
Old 04-24-07, 07:43 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
That could potentially really suck if the battery in the remote dies.
Haha it doenst shut off if the car is already moving... its only if it was initially started with the car in P or N and then gets shifted to D without the key... thats when it gets shut off...
Old 11-18-07, 04:50 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

well my thought on this topic is that it is a good one and brings up questions for me actually.... cuz on my dad's sienna he was able to get a oem auto starter... and what happens is that the car once u press the brakes and the keys are not in the keyhole... the engine turns itself off... it would be nice if the IS X50 had something like that.... turn on the car walk away with the key and some one tries to put it in Drive and the car turns off.... just my thought since toyota was able to do it Lexus should be able to too
Old 11-18-07, 04:52 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

get a gated house... more privacy.... problem solved...
Old 11-18-07, 05:02 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

What's with dragging up old threads recently?
Old 11-18-07, 07:23 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

only uprade to the keyless system i've found are, that if ur keys are IN UR CAR, AND SOMEHOW THE DOORS LOCK, the area that the door handles unlock at (your key has to be like 3 feet from the doors or something, the radius is shown in the manual), should include INSIDE the car. My car was locked once, i walked to it, put my hand the door, it unlocked, i tossed the keys in the driver seat, popped the trunk, closed the door to put some stuff in the trunk, and turn to talk to my friend... moments later i hear a click, as my doors lock themselves up, and the keys in the car >_<, that was a pain in the ***

also, while the car is running u should be able to lock it with the keyfob, otherwise i love the system, and hate that cars selling for like 20k have the same thing lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!