ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Poor quality windshield?? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/276848-poor-quality-windshield.html)

gassman 04-17-07 02:22 PM

Poor quality windshield??

Has anyone disscussed the fact that the front windshield sucks in this 2nd gen IS? Looking at it last night all I could see is thousands of tiny chips with a few big ones. I am not sure what to do about it other than throw a rock at it and get it fixed:uh: . Have any members here talked to thier respective dealers about the this issue? If you have please PM what the result was.

lobuxracer 04-17-07 03:07 PM

It's not unique to the 2IS. Scion tC owners complain about the same thing.

AZ IS350 04-17-07 03:07 PM

I hear ya! I've only put 4k miles on my IS in 10 months yet I've had to get the windshield fixed twice due to spider cracks from rock chips, and I still have probably a dozen more surface chips all over the windshield. The original windshield in my 9 year Tacoma looks better. I'm sure Lexus will say the glass is not any different (or it is better) than in any other vehicle but it seems awful susceptible to damage. I wish somebody offered a clearbra type protectant for the windshield.

pisaykotik 04-17-07 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by AZ IS350 (Post 2558545)
I wish somebody offered a clearbra type protectant for the windshield.

Same here. I got the clear bra on my bumper/hood/headlights/fender and those areas still look perfect. The windshield however is a different story. It has many many small chips when I look closely. I doubt the dealer would do anything about this but I'd be happy to be proven wrong here.

ihkskim 04-17-07 05:03 PM

yes it is weak.. my windshiled cracked up N to S. on the wya to vegas... and i did'n't even hear anything. my 7 yr old accord hasn't cracked since i got it.. it's just pitted

Dj_AmtraX 04-17-07 05:08 PM

I have 3,600 miles on mine and the windsheild looks like it's been sand blasted. I just found out that AAA insurance will repair the windsheild free for members.

MIAMIGS3 04-17-07 05:13 PM

I thought it was just mine. 2 months after buying mine brand new I started noticing :sad:

VikH 04-17-07 05:27 PM

Mine is perfect after 6k miles with 70% HW miles. My front bumper, on the other hand, is screwed with at least 10 rock chips.

ATLIS350 04-17-07 05:27 PM

Mine is ridiculous when driving into the sun. Almost looks like it's fogged up. I would love a new windshield.

BoSS250 04-17-07 05:30 PM

they have a coating for your windsheild its called diamond coat or something the people who did the clear bra ant my old shop did that too they said it works but only last a year. I smaked(light force back hand) my girls 05 A4 and it shatterd i was like omg thats a thin whind sheild. I think its a scam from high end auto makers to get more money from us but idk.

ben_r_ 04-17-07 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX (Post 2558821)
I have 3,600 miles on mine and the windsheild looks like it's been sand blasted. I just found out that AAA insurance will repair the windsheild free for members.

Really? Whats the criteria for that? How did you find out and what did you ask?

Batmobile 04-17-07 08:42 PM

yeah my windshield sucks dude... :thumbdn:

shrka 04-17-07 09:52 PM

hey i was wondering about this issue the other day.
i wonder if the speckles get worst because of calcification from the water.
has anyone ever used that 3m stuff that is safe for paint. i guess it's like acetone.....any comments?

SParker1tx 04-17-07 09:52 PM

Ive got 6000 miles on mine and absolutely no cracks or rock chips at all... Guess I can consider myself lucky?

flipside909 04-17-07 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX (Post 2558821)

That is not the case for those insured with AAA here in Southern California. Small windshield repairs are no longer covered for free. If the damages are under your stated deductible, like with any other comprehensive or collision claim, there is no claim. If the damages are the amount or above your deductible, you can file the claim. This is my daily grind. ;)