IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Yet Another DIY Oil Change for IS350 (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 08:03 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Where did you get that Wrench from?
From here: http://www.toolsource.com/advanced_s...toy640&x=0&y=0
Old 07-07-08, 09:15 PM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you cheat! I wish i had floor ramps.

I use a jack and safety stands.
Old 07-08-08, 08:16 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped using jack stands when I moved to CA... figured they are probably not too safe if there is a quake... I built my own ramps out of 2x12 lumber. My old car was too low to use on most ramps, so I built my own and they work great. Plus, there is no chance of them collapsing as one member has suggested.
Old 07-08-08, 09:46 AM
wkw84
Driver

great writeup!
Old 07-08-08, 12:48 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Where did you get that Wrench from?

Was the SST worth it? Did you ever try any other wrenches prior to the SST?
It was worth it the first time I had to remove the filter housing. I have tried other wrenches and they either suck, scratch the filter housing, or both.

Javier
Old 07-08-08, 01:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It was worth it the first time I had to remove the filter housing. I have tried other wrenches and they either suck, scratch the filter housing, or both.

Javier
Have you tried the Assenmacher TOY640 wrench I mentioned above? It neither sucks nor does it scratch the filter housing. It's a fraction of the cost of the SST wrench, and seems to work just as well.
Old 07-08-08, 04:26 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, but it's a moot point for me for two reasons:

1) I don't need the filter wrench anymore, since I can hand-loosen it, and
2) I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP for my Lexus SST.

Javier
Old 07-13-08, 09:22 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Thanks, but it's a moot point for me for two reasons:

1) I don't need the filter wrench anymore, since I can hand-loosen it, and
2) I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP for my Lexus SST.

Javier
How did you get it to be only hand tight? Did you just not put it on that tight after getting it off initially? If I ever get it off, I was thinking of doing the same, like a normal filter, but wasn't sure if it would leak.

I went to the Toyota dealer on Monday or Tuesday to buy an SST and the guy said that since hardly anyone is willing to spend the "$50 or whatever it costs" its not worth it for them to stock them. So I asked what they did have and he showed me these other two, one my by Imperial and the other "RiteFit" so I bought both hoping one would work. The Imperial one was crowned in the middle so it did not fit on the filter housing, the RiteFit one, however, fit perfectly. So I was happy about that, then today I thought my problems were over and I was going to get this one, right? haha Well I got the car up on the ramps, removed the piece that covers the housing, took out the filter wrench and attached the extension, tapped it onto the filter housing so it was snug, gave it a tug and SNAP(!) the freaking filter wrench broke!!! The welded piece that accepts the 3/8" extension snapped off at the welds...

So tomorrow I am going back to the Toyota dealer, returning the Imperial wrench and having them replace the one that broke. The saga continues...

So much headache for this POS - all for the sake of "going green" or so the guy in parts department tells me...

Update (again) -
I once paid $3.99 for a RiteFit wrench, then went to Toyota to buy another (on that fit properly) for $6.99, and today when I had to buy one at the Lexus dealer they wanted $15.99 for it but I was able to get it for $10 (such a bargain!) - amazing the price differences for the SAME EXACT wrench. The Toyota dealer I went to originally had sold out of the one that fit so the Lexus dealer was my only option. The Lexus dealer also does not carry the SST (too much $$$ they claim as well).

Anyway, long story short, it broke once again - so needless to say I'm pretty frustrated at this point and refuse to take it to the dealer just because it has been such a PITA so I WILL prevail (at least I really hope!). I've never had so much headache or trying to change some freakin' oil!

Last edited by 92 SC400; 07-15-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-16-08, 06:26 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Ok, 5 wrenches later, two of which broke, about a week and a half of driving to and from auto stores (1 trip to Kragen, 2 to PepBoys, 2 to AutoZone, 2 each to Lexus and Toyota) and I finally got the filter housing and oil changed last night!

The RiteFit A265 is the proper (albeit a POS) aftermarket filter wrench in case anyone is wondering/interested. I broke one, returned it, broke another and said "f#$@ it," had my dad take it to get the center piece welded a bit better than the crappy spot welds that broke, not once, but twice. Maybe I'll post a pic of it later...

RiteFit A265 wrenches...
at Lexus = $15.99 (did get mine for $10 though)
at Toyota = $6.99
at PepBoys = $3.99

Unfortunately for me, Toyota ran out after I broke the first one and PepBoys doesnt stock that size yet, but should soon... Hope this helps at least one of you out there!
Old 07-16-08, 10:53 PM
MicaIS
Driver School Candidate

Ok, 5 wrenches later, two of which broke, about a week and a half of driving to and from auto stores (1 trip to Kragen, 2 to PepBoys, 2 to AutoZone, 2 each to Lexus and Toyota) and I finally got the filter housing and oil changed last night!

The RiteFit A265 is the proper (albeit a POS) aftermarket filter wrench in case anyone is wondering/interested. I broke one, returned it, broke another and said "f#$@ it," had my dad take it to get the center piece welded a bit better than the crappy spot welds that broke, not once, but twice. Maybe I'll post a pic of it later...

RiteFit A265 wrenches...
at Lexus = $15.99 (did get mine for $10 though)
at Toyota = $6.99
at PepBoys = $3.99

Unfortunately for me, Toyota ran out after I broke the first one and PepBoys doesnt stock that size yet, but should soon... Hope this helps at least one of you out there!

That'll help me! thanks man, all your pain and sweat payed off. now we all know what NOT to use.. you'd prevented hundreds of needless fustrating moments for us all, all that choose to read this thread that is.
Anthony
Old 07-17-08, 01:01 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^ I'll post a pic of the welded filter wrench later when I can get a pic of it. I would advise doing this as I mentioned that I broke two of these wrenches before finally getting a stronger weld on it.
Old 07-17-08, 08:57 AM
Eddiebx
Driver

i think if you are breaking the weld on the nut, the cap is probably on too tight.

and if anyone was curious, the factory honda filter tool for their standard filter thats on most of their vehicles fit the toyota canister cap perfectly too.
Old 07-17-08, 11:51 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^ If was definitely on too tight. WAAAAY more than the 19lbs +/- 4lbs recommended on the filter box... I think someone else mentioned that their mechanic broke a wrench trying to get it off too. I dont know if maybe the dealers (first oil change was complementary of the dealer at 5k) do this on purpose or what but its a PITA.

Anyway, as mentioned before the wrench diameter is 65mm so I'm sure some other Japanese manufacturers are using the same sizes.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 07-17-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-26-08, 09:21 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think any one mention this before but does some of the oil stay in since the car is on the rhino ramps?
Old 11-27-08, 02:23 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

awsome write up just finished doing my first oil change at 15k with mobil one ..5w 20...got some 8000lb rhino ramps for 30 bucks at pepboys...this should be a sticky...

Quick Reply: Yet Another DIY Oil Change for IS350 (w/pics)