Installing parking sensors aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 02:39 PM
djrobsd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing parking sensors aftermarket

Hi guys,

I want to put parking sensors on my IS350. I scraped my bumper today. 2nd time having an issue with the car. It's been really hard for me to get used to parking this vehicle after driving an SUV for the past 6 years. So I think I need to protect myself and get parking sensors!

How difficult are they to install? Do all the sensors have to have wires, or are they wireless back to a receiver? Can you paint them body color so they aren't that black plastic that fades in the sun?

I'm assuming there are a lot of them out there, so I would be curious to hear which ones people are using and how they like them. I'm also wondering if I can put them on both the front and the back

Thanks!
Old 07-23-09, 03:19 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

An idea I had was to put a small wireless security camera in the lower grill. Then you can have it relay the images onto your nav/portable DVD player/laptop/etc
Old 07-23-09, 03:31 PM
leescape
Driver

I have the factory parking sensors and I leave the system on even though I had never had an opportunity to use them. Most of the time they would just be annoying me when I pull out of my drive way or when people are crossing the street when I'm stopped at an intersection. Well today I found myself using them twice. Once to pull out of a parking spot where there was a van parked behind me, and the second time to parallel park. The backup camera helped too, but I can definitely see myself using the parking sensors again. I don't know anything about aftermarket sensors, so what's the moral of this story? Well I guess to let you know that you should definitely try getting them for your car if possible. Sure there was a time before parking sensors and 90% of the cars out there still don't have them. But I now know how helpful they really are, especially in tight spots where you would need a friend to guide you out safely. Plus if you've already damaged your bumper twice, then I think it's a good idea to at least look into it.
Old 07-23-09, 04:32 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With aftermarket parking sensors, I would be concerned about the appearance on the car. However, a quick Google search reveals several options. Good luck!
Old 07-24-09, 07:07 AM
AS~IS
Lead Lap

Keep us posted on what you do!

I'm also from the same boat, and parking is a hell of a lot different in the IS as compared to the old Tahoe. (To make sure I don't scratch the front bumper when I park, I sometimes use the rear view camera to take a peak at the back to gauge how much distance I have left.)

As Giantsfan stated, the wireless camera might be a good idea, too. I was thinking about doing that earlier, but I haven't jumped on it yet.

Good luck bro!
Old 07-24-09, 07:56 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't butcher your car with aftermarket sensors, get cameras front and back. The new hybrid Lexus will have a front view camera.

Koz
Old 07-24-09, 10:12 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Well if you're scrapping the bottom of your bumper over curbs when parking then the sensors won't sense that..unless you mount them low like on your lip, but that probably won't look good..i have the factory sensors f & r with backup camera and it comes in handy sometimes, but it won't let you know if you're about to scrape the bottom of your bumper..