IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Poll removed - discussion thread only
xxx
0%
yyy
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Mother of all "Should I get IS250 or IS350?" threads (merged into one steaming pile)

Old 04-01-09, 06:39 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my IS350 back in Feb. '06 without ever test driving the 250. I was coming off a turbo car and didn't want a huge loss in power. I only recently drove a 250 as it was the loaner they gave me when I took my 350 in for the fuel rail recall. Driving that for 2 days, made me very glad I got the 350. The 250 is very smooth and drives well, but the acceleration was hugely disappointing. Once it got up to speed, it was fine, but during that process I kept thinking "there has to be more power" it's not even that I drive full throttle much. This was just during routine driving that I noticed the lack of power.

I have the nav, but I don't use it much because the it's just not that good. The only reason I have it is because the wife wanted the back up camera. But I do prefer the dash with the nav in it to those without.
Old 04-01-09, 07:15 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i think it's an easy decision, if you want speed+luxury go with 350, if you don't care about speed, and want luxury, go 250. other than that, there's not much difference

i'd get the nav, it's very well worth it, it's not just nav, it's like a computer for your car that monitors everything, and also has a backup camera.
Old 04-01-09, 10:15 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
As well as available, much cheaper, with an aftermarket nav unit.
I would like to see a good aftermarket in dash nav unit that can fit in our IS350 perfectly. Many people has tried but has failed. Garmin and other brands don't have DVD capability, rear view camera, bluetooth. Well they have bluetooth but it sucks.
Old 04-01-09, 10:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I would like to see a good aftermarket in dash nav unit that can fit in our IS350 perfectly. Many people has tried but has failed. Garmin and other brands don't have DVD capability, rear view camera, bluetooth. Well they have bluetooth but it sucks.
Sucks how?

Bluetooth is specification developed 15 years ago, and works reliably on my garmin just like nearly every other BT capable device in the world.

There's any number of folks who've put an in-dash DVD unit in their 2IS, do a search and you'll find any number of threads. There's no "kit" so it'll be custom work, therefore "perfectly" will be in the eye of the beholder. I've seen some that looked factory, some that looked like crap. All cheaper and FAR more capable than the unit Lexus sells.

Regardless of which, we weren't even discussing in-dash units, we were discussing the kind that fits on top of the dash. (that nice flat spot above the center stack works ideally for a garmin nuvi on a friction mount of example).

It's true the Garmin won't play DVD movies... neither will yours in motion unless you hack up the wiring... but why would it? it's a GPS, not a stereo.

Garmin (and other vendors) do make plenty of units that'll support bluetooth and a backup camera though... many of them will take a DVD input if you want to also put a DVD player in the car (and still for tons less than the Lexus nav)...

Plus it'll add a slew of other features the outdated OEM nav can't offer (realtime traffic, weather, local gas prices, movie times, lane assist, 3D building views, pedestrian navigation, and a lot more)
Old 04-01-09, 11:01 AM
*wishlist*
Driver

i thought the minor steering/handling recalibration was done on the 09s???
Old 04-01-09, 11:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by *wishlist*
i thought the minor steering/handling recalibration was done on the 09s???
Improved steering feel appeared on the "what's new for 08s" sheet the dealers got shortly before 08 models were available... but nobody could ever explain what changed.
(and some folks who got 08 loaners while their 06/07s were being serviced observed the steering did feel better)

"Improved steering and handling" are listed on the 09 improvements but, again, nobody has been able to explain what actually was changed.
Old 04-01-09, 11:49 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

IS350 FTW!!! you won't regret it!
Old 04-01-09, 01:03 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PMok
what are your plans with the car?

drive it everyday to work and that's it ... IS250
drive it everyday and go lots of places ... IS250 with Nav
pimp it out for SHOW with body kit, wheels, lower it, audio ICE upgrades ... IS250

drive it everyday like you stole it ... IS350
drive it like you stole it and go lots of places ... IS350 with Nav
pimp it out for GO with exhaust, intake, suspension, light wheels... IS350

pimp it out for SHOW and GO with all the above, and have some money ... IS-F with Nav
I think the above is pretty fair, in general.

When buying any car, you'll have a mix of objective and subjective criteria to meet your wishes, so you (the OP) will need to decide what combination will strike that balance for you. Most people I know would get along more than fine with a 250 without the Navi.

For me, I wanted more bells and whistles to accomodate my daily driving habits, along with good power so as not to be detached from my more performance oriented interest. The IS 350 w/ Navi was a pretty simple choice.
Old 04-01-09, 01:32 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I've yet to see a Lexus dealer who magically gives you a $2500 option for a couple hundred bucks.

In this environment you should certainly be able to get a car close to invoice, but nav still adds over $2000 to -invoice- pricing.

And nav is _bad_ for resale value.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ale-usat_N.htm

(plus, as far as controls- most of the things I actually do on the car take -longer- with nav controls, since you have to switch screens to do them, versus directly pressing a physical button on a non-nav car)
I can only speak to my experience. Of the 12 dealerships I called and obtained pricing from, all of the differences between NAV were $45-$400 hundred bucks (including the dealership I purchased through, which gave me bottom line difference of $75 and that was literally the only difference). (Quick editorial: If you are even paying invoice in this market considering Lexus just had some incentives, then you are overpaying).

You are right, some things do take longer to do with the NAV screen. However, many people like visual feedback. There is a reason that every make and model of vehicle is moving towards this technology and NAV integration in vehicles is increasing.

Nav is *not* bad for re-sale value. The article you quote (which is now almost 2 years old *cough*) just shows that you don't get your full value out of it. The cost of those two exact vehicles in your example still show the Nav going for more than the non-nav version. It's kind of a silly article. They also mention that adaptive cruise control and seats with cooling depreciate fast. lol. Uh, hello USAToday...most technology depreciates very very quickly.

I acknowledge that the Lexus Nav is sub-par and Garmin is better. However, unless you are getting an amazing deal on a non-nav unit I would definitely get the Nav. They are people on here putting OEM NAV in their vehicles...don't see too many people taking it out ;-)

Also regarding the 250 vs 350 debate - I would get the 350. I drove both, and I can't imagine living with a 250 unless you need the AWD (which I considered), or unless you know you will be happy with that much (or little) power for the long haul (which was less than my Honda Accord had).

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 04-01-09, 04:40 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This nav/no nav is an old discussion. I’ve never understood why anyone would want a portable stick-on unit that usually lacks many OEM features and that they must hide every time the leave their car in public.

I sometimes suspect they’re secretly sorry they didn’t get factory nav themselves, and are trying to rationalize that decision to us as well as to themselves.

For my two cents, navigation systems will soon be standard equipment in most cars, certainly in upscale autos, and the resale value of a Lexus without it will be proportionately lessened.
Old 04-01-09, 04:44 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

if you wanna get spanked by minivans then get the 250.
Old 04-01-09, 05:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the IS350 w/nav. Ready to go. I think nav improves resale value and demand for a premium car like Lexus and Benz.
Old 04-01-09, 06:20 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat

- It gives you Rear Camera function. On top of that, it gives you Park-Assist.
I don't know how this rumor all of a sudden got started on CL, but simply put: Backup camera and Park Assist are TWO SEPARATE AND INDEPENDENT OPTIONS!!!

Originally Posted by Magellan
This nav/no nav is an old discussion. I’ve never understood why anyone would want a portable stick-on unit that usually lacks many OEM features and that they must hide every time the leave their car in public.

I sometimes suspect they’re secretly sorry they didn’t get factory nav themselves, and are trying to rationalize that decision to us as well as to themselves.

For my two cents, navigation systems will soon be standard equipment in most cars, certainly in upscale autos, and the resale value of a Lexus without it will be proportionately lessened.
Although it would be nice to have the factory nav, I'm honestly not upset that I don't have it. Factory HID, on the other hand, I definitely wish I had.

The stick-on thing may look kinda, well, stuck on. But, I don't leave mine in my car. I leave mine in my house unless I know I'm going somewhere unknown.

And, I think you may be right to a degree, that nav systems are becoming the norm, and that vehicles without it may depreciate moreso than those with it.

But, the same way that Kurtz and others don't necessarily require them, so are others that will feel the same way when they're looking at our used vehicles down the road. Although, there will likely also be others that say: "a lexus without nav....I'm not interested", so who's to say what's right
Old 04-01-09, 06:39 PM
mikes rx

I can see why you got so touchy....
I'm chill. I'm just saying that 3 different posts in 2 days have stated that PA is not available without nav, which is inaccurate. I know that it's inaccurate cause I have it without nav.

BTW, nice job with the quote, but I never said that

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-01-09 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 07:03 PM
mikes rx

That brings me a question. Park-Assist not available without the NAVI is completely inaccurate???? Don't you need the NAVI screen to see this function? I need some explanation here.
If you don't have nav, PA is displayed on the info center screen (between the speedo and the tach) once an object is within range

It shows a bird's eye view of the car (like what shows what door you have open), and uses bars (in addition to beep frequency) to indicate distance from object. It goes from 3 bars to 2 bars to 1 bar, with 3 meaning further away (and a slow beep) and 1 meaning close (and a constant beep). And, it shows this information for each particular "region", meaning it will show the "radar" for the front two corners and the one rear area

Last edited by mikes rx; 04-01-09 at 07:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mother of all "Should I get IS250 or IS350?" threads (merged into one steaming pile)