IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I got my 5k service and TSB on the brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 08:09 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got my 5k service and TSB on the brakes...

Went to the dealer today to get my 5k oil change and TBS on my brakes. Got kinda mad that they made me wait so long for a loaner when I told them that I had to take care of other stuffs. An hour to be exact. After waiting he then gave me a 07 RX 350 with 17k miles on it..is that a lot of miles for an 07? Well anyways, he called me close to closing time when my car was done. He also proceeded and told me how much it cost on my VM if the service wasn't cover..blah blah blah.Oh yea! the TSB covered for BRAKES and ROTORS. That's what the Service guy said. But I will let you know how it is as soon as I get the car back. maybe this should be with the brake TSB thread.
Old 03-28-07, 08:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brakes AND rotors?

I think someone may get in trouble for changing the rotors too. Are you gonna call it?
Old 03-28-07, 08:43 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

they resurface the rotors as part of the TSB (they don't replace them).
Old 03-29-07, 06:12 AM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Thats unfortunate. When my car goes in for service at Westide, they bring the loaner car to your home and then drive yours to the dealership. When yours is done they bring it back to your home and you give them the loaner back! They can do it at work or other places also! Its so nice, one of the things I love about Westside in Houston!
Old 03-29-07, 06:19 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
Thats unfortunate. When my car goes in for service at Westide, they bring the loaner car to your home and then drive yours to the dealership. When yours is done they bring it back to your home and you give them the loaner back! They can do it at work or other places also! Its so nice, one of the things I love about Westside in Houston!

I'd rather drive an hour and pick up my own loaner than let some tech drive my car.

When I get a loaner/rental, I beat the crap out of it. Do you really think the tech or whoever picks up your car treats it like gold? HAH!

I'll pass....thanks
Old 03-29-07, 06:36 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Brakes AND rotors?

I think someone may get in trouble for changing the rotors too. Are you gonna call it?
The brake pads AND rotors are updated and both get replaced, we do not resurface the rotors. It is a kit that Lexus has us installing as part of the TSIB.
Old 03-29-07, 08:29 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
The brake pads AND rotors are updated and both get replaced, we do not resurface the rotors. It is a kit that Lexus has us installing as part of the TSIB.
You speak as if you represent Lexus. What are the part #'s used for the TSB. Reading the TSB (BR002-06) it only mentions remove and replace front disc brake pads, nothing about rotors. Also, the allocated 36 minute service time specified by the TSB, is no where near long enough to change rotors as well.
Old 03-29-07, 09:47 AM
lexem
Pole Position

When I got mine done, the service guy said they resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads.
It sounds like the dealer can do what it wants to do. Doesn't seem like there is any "kit". Please let us know.
Old 03-29-07, 09:57 AM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

When my dealer did the TSB they told me it only covered the pads and there was no labor covered to resurface the rotors or replace them. Can you please clarify what Lexus states in the TSB as the scope of work covered?? I would very much appreciate this info so I can get the new rotors I have been asking them for. Their reply to my request was that if my rotors warped then they would replace under the 36k warranty.

Thanks
Old 03-29-07, 12:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Sorry, have to raise the BS flag on the replacing the rotors. They also do not necessarily resurface the rotors, and it's not a good idea unless there is unusual wear.

Here's the kit. If you look up this part number it is nothing but a set of pads. You are not authorised new rotors, and it is extremely unlikely they are warped unless you got them glowing hot and sprayed them with water.
Attached Thumbnails So I got my 5k service and TSB on the brakes...-is350-brake-tsib-parts-list.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-29-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-29-07, 12:29 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

how do the new brakes feel? I like how my current brakes bite so i dunno if i want to give up the bite for less brake dust... I can live with the dust for better braking.
Old 03-29-07, 01:19 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You speak as if you represent Lexus. What are the part #'s used for the TSB. Reading the TSB (BR002-06) it only mentions remove and replace front disc brake pads, nothing about rotors. Also, the allocated 36 minute service time specified by the TSB, is no where near long enough to change rotors as well.
I work for a Lexus dealer, 6yrs +.

But after reading more and talking to my techs I guess I have spoken too soon. Lexus had an update on the ES with what we called brakes in a box, it was the rotors and pads, all updated. That paid .9 tenths to replaced. This update for the IS is only the pads and shims.

As a master tech I didn't expect Lexus of all cars to just replace the pads.

So I humbly retract my previous statements.
Old 03-29-07, 01:32 PM
is350WHT
Rookie

I just had mine replaced last Friday, didn't get to check it out until today after having "detailed" my car on Saturday.
So far so good, the chrome rims are still shiny, couldn't say
that before. Also, the brake feel seems better for me, no longer is it too sensitive (abrupt).

My invoice didn't mention surfacing of the rotors, but then
I only have less than 4K on them.
Old 03-30-07, 04:22 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is this for front brakes only?

I just read the TSB and it looks like the parts are just the front brake pads and shims. Is that what the deal is?
Old 03-30-07, 07:57 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

I work for a Lexus dealer, 6yrs +.

But after reading more and talking to my techs I guess I have spoken too soon. Lexus had an update on the ES with what we called brakes in a box, it was the rotors and pads, all updated. That paid .9 tenths to replaced. This update for the IS is only the pads and shims.

As a master tech I didn't expect Lexus of all cars to just replace the pads.

So I humbly retract my previous statements.
Hey BILL,

Yea, I was going to tell you that the rotors were NOT replaced. I checked it once i got home and noticed there was a lip on the outside of the rotors, PLUS rust on the rotors like they were old. So they did not resurfaced my rotors either.

DANG

Quick Reply: So I got my 5k service and TSB on the brakes...