Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07, 07:29 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which would you prefer?

Toyota or Nissan?
Lexus or Infiniti?

You get what you pay for, remember that old saying? You'll pay more for a Lexus than you would for a G35. Why? Because overall it's a BETTER car! I know I know it's not fair but guess what? Some automakers do care and are willing to raise the bar to compete! Lexus (IMO) has become more innovative, stylish and reliable than Mercedes and BMW. For those of you that disagree just talk to some BMW and Mercedes Owners and hear their horror stories yikes! All kinds of electrical issues...I do understand ALL auto makers have their share of car troubles but come on...look at the prices for some of these cars and you'll think they have much more to offer. True story. I kid you not. When I first bought my wife her IS 350 there was a married couple and their kid. I watched the couple trade in their E-Class Mercedes for an IS 250! I was baffled. I asked the couple why in the world you would do that. The Husband looked me dead in the face and said because its a piece of crap car and not worth the money we paid for it....I said ok fair enough...(He got a bad car...that doesn't make them all bad). My next question was so why the IS 250 opposed to the GS or LS which is much roomier for your wife and kid? He said he loved the car from the moment he test drove it...it handles well...yada yada yada and the bottom line was that LEXUS CARE! Their customer service by far was the best. Now, personally I would have gone with a bigger and much roomier car like the GS or the LS but that's just me. Quite honestly the G35 only compares with the Lexus in performance everything else as far as comparison goes is pointless...looks are subjective and that's where the buyer must go with what he/she likes or dislikes. There you have it...my two cents
Old 03-07-07, 08:04 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF
Which would you prefer?

Toyota or Nissan?
Lexus or Infiniti?

You get what you pay for, remember that old saying? You'll pay more for a Lexus than you would for a G35. Why? Because overall it's a BETTER car! I know I know it's not fair but guess what? Some automakers do care and are willing to raise the bar to compete! Lexus (IMO) has become more innovative, stylish and reliable than Mercedes and BMW. For those of you that disagree just talk to some BMW and Mercedes Owners and hear their horror stories yikes! All kinds of electrical issues...I do understand ALL auto makers have their share of car troubles but come on...look at the prices for some of these cars and you'll think they have much more to offer. True story. I kid you not. When I first bought my wife her IS 350 there was a married couple and their kid. I watched the couple trade in their E-Class Mercedes for an IS 250! I was baffled. I asked the couple why in the world you would do that. The Husband looked me dead in the face and said because its a piece of crap car and not worth the money we paid for it....I said ok fair enough...(He got a bad car...that doesn't make them all bad). My next question was so why the IS 250 opposed to the GS or LS which is much roomier for your wife and kid? He said he loved the car from the moment he test drove it...it handles well...yada yada yada and the bottom line was that LEXUS CARE! Their customer service by far was the best. Now, personally I would have gone with a bigger and much roomier car like the GS or the LS but that's just me. Quite honestly the G35 only compares with the Lexus in performance everything else as far as comparison goes is pointless...looks are subjective and that's where the buyer must go with what he/she likes or dislikes. There you have it...my two cents
I completely agree... save for one thing. You pay for what you get. Well, by that notion, BMW and Mercedes would be at the top because they are the most expensive. But, as noted yourself, they are both crap when it comes to reliability.
Old 03-07-07, 09:12 AM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cc16ue
if you really want to do your research, go check out this months car and driver. they have a comparison test between the G35 and the 328 and the 328 won, and we know how ths 350 does to 328, 330, and even the 335. but they have the pros and cons of the new G35.
What exactly does a 350 do to a 328? Beat it in a straight line?

So did the '07 G35 and it still lost.

I also seem to recall the '06 330i getting C&D's nod over the IS350. And, with the 335i out, the 328i seems to match it's engine performance.

For the same reasons they picked the 330i over the IS350, C&D would also likely pick the 328i. If the focus is on luxury, the Lexus has a chance; if it's being a sport sedan, the 3-series will kick the IS350's butt all day long.
Old 03-07-07, 09:18 AM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
I completely agree... save for one thing. You pay for what you get. Well, by that notion, BMW and Mercedes would be at the top because they are the most expensive. But, as noted yourself, they are both crap when it comes to reliability.
Crap? According to both JD Powers Initial Quality Survey (90 days) and JD Powers Vehicle Dependability Study (3 years), BMW's reliability is a nudge ahead of Infiniti and not materially different than Lexus.

Before you tell us how unreliable the studies are, keep in mind that JDP's methodology is widely used within the car industry, is the only statistically accurate study out there--and most importantly, also ranks Lexus highly.
Old 03-07-07, 10:36 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

For all BMW lovers,

What you and other bias BMW lovers fail to realize is that Lexus is giving BMW a run for their money. Although, BMW has always been the bench mark for performance vehicles, I for one think that Lexus has made some significant changes to their lines of sports sedans to compete with BMW. Look at the overly priced M3. For many years it has owned this market share for sports coupe but guess what? Here comes the ISF wooo...and its a sedan! Lexus has finally committed to CHALLENGING the M3 I just hope Lexus don't screw it up. It seems that when ever legit competitions comes around car analyst and such are sooo gung ho on European vehicles. By the way, I thought we were talking about the G35 vs the IS 350???? That just furthermore lets me know how well respected Lexus has become! LOL I would rather own any Lexus brand vehicle at an affordable price than an overly priced BMW or Mercedes. Don't get me wrong, I do like BMW and Mercedes...they just cost too much and don't look all that great to me. This is just my opinion. I love the CL series Mercedes and also the old body 5 series BMW but would I buy one? No. I had to vent a little because we have imposters in here posing as Lexus owners LOL
Old 03-07-07, 10:44 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you have to fully drive all cars hard to fully understand how good the cars actually are. jut driving it around the block will not get the full feeling. if you want to talk handling the bmw335 or 328i still handle better then the is350/is250 by a long shot, which is the point of this category right? power wise the is350 is closely matched with the 335i and 07 g35, if you really want to talk power the 335i has more untapped power which could be freed up by some less restrictive air flow. luxury wise many people consider audis to have the best interior appointments hence the a4 might have the best build besides lexus here same with the TL s-type. alll the other cars in the class have more total usuable pasneger volume so the IS loses out there again. the one thing the IS might have is better relaiability or resale then the others but not by much. Remember lexus is not perfect things happen. and on the flip side the other manufacturers are close in terms of reliability wave the european manufacturers. you cannot IMO make a fair judgement without fully testing all options in this class in depth.
Old 03-07-07, 12:01 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveortega
Crap? According to both JD Powers Initial Quality Survey (90 days) and JD Powers Vehicle Dependability Study (3 years), BMW's reliability is a nudge ahead of Infiniti and not materially different than Lexus.

Before you tell us how unreliable the studies are, keep in mind that JDP's methodology is widely used within the car industry, is the only statistically accurate study out there--and most importantly, also ranks Lexus highly.
I don't know what JD power survey you were looking at but the one I see Shows Porsche as number one followed by:

Lexus
Hyundai
Toyota
Jaguar
Honda
Cadillac
Infiniti
GMC
Acura
Chrysler
Lincoln
Nissan
Chevrolet
Ford
Mercury
Saturn
Audi
Dodge
Pontiac
Volvo
Buick
Mitsubishi
Kia
Mercedes Benz
Scion
BMW
Mazda
Mini
Jeep
Saab
Subaru
Hummer
Volkswagen
Isuzu
Land Rover

This is the 2006 JD Power & Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS).
Here’s the link.
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...asp?ID=2006082
Old 03-07-07, 12:10 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

We're all voicing are opinions....not necessarily facts. I leave the car testing/comparisons etc to the Car Pros for their so called factual data...you know Car & Driver, Road & Track & Motortrend. I like seeing what they have to say when comparing cars..the only problem I have is that they seem to be somewhat bias or overly judgemental when comparing other cars to the "Prima Donna" BMW.
Old 03-07-07, 12:19 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

IS350jet,

THANK YOU!! lol That's exactly what we needed to see. REAL PROOF!
Old 03-07-07, 12:25 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF
IS350jet,

THANK YOU!! lol That's exactly what we needed to see. REAL PROOF!
I do believe lexus fell from 1st to 5th in one of those rankings. There are several, not just the one posted above.

On the flipside, I think that speaks volumes on Lexus quality as they have recently introduced 2 hybrids (RX & GS) an 8 speed tranny, and the LS with more computers, gadgets, etc., than you can shake a stick at.
Old 03-07-07, 12:33 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by al503
I do believe lexus fell from 1st to 5th in one of those rankings. There are several, not just the one posted above.

On the flipside, I think that speaks volumes on Lexus quality as they have recently introduced 2 hybrids (RX & GS) an 8 speed tranny, and the LS with more computers, gadgets, etc., than you can shake a stick at.
Any car ranked in the top 10 for quality is a plus I mean Ford is even ranked higher than BMW!!! Maybe that's because the expectations are higher for the price? Why do you think that is so?
Old 03-07-07, 01:07 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't know what JD power survey you were looking at but the one I see Shows Porsche as number one followed by:

Lexus
..Pawn takes Queen
Old 03-07-07, 02:15 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MLevinson
..Pawn takes Queen
HAHAHAHAHA - oh, it's been a crappy day at work. I needed that.
Old 03-07-07, 02:29 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Predicted reliability ratings as reported in the Feb 2007 issue of Consumer Reports:

Old 03-07-07, 03:43 PM
faymouslex
Driver School Candidate

Talking Two Words

Exterior Styling!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35