IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35

Old 03-06-07, 10:29 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
SOLD!! LOL, JK. (was it a new or old G35... if it wasn't the '07 G35 then that's not a fair fight!)

Btw, you like the smokey granite? Any downfalls with it (dirt, swirls, etc). That's my top choice but I've never owned a darker car.
LOL it was fair...it was an 07 and silver. Maybe they just liked my color. but as stated somewhere in this thread, I think the hood line on the G35 is beyond ugly, and honestly looks like they forgot to put thought into it.

As far as SGM downfalls, none yet, but I have only had the car for a month and washed it 3 times at a touchless car wash. Good old New England winters. I am coming from a black maxima, and i will never buy black again. I think the SGM is perfect. its still dark enough to be sexy and light enough not to show every scratch.

The other way i looked at it is, if I can afford a ~40K car, I can afford to have it fully detailed twice a year. other than that, if you wash your car the right way and NEVER take it to an automated car wash, you shouldn't have a problem with swirl marks.

I was considering tungsten pearl, but I am 110% happy i went with SGM. I know I wouldn't have liked it. of course color is all opinion, but swirl marks and getting a bit dirtier shouldnt stop you from getting SGM if thats what you like.
Old 03-06-07, 10:32 AM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The last generation G suffered from a lot of little quality issues and I know that several owners here have switched up from G35s to IS's to escape the rattles, recalls, etc. I've really never read anything major or of huge concern, but mostly just annoying little issues. The Infiniti brand as a whole has had some of the same issues with electronics and rattles, so perhaps they have fixed that stuff with the new car, maybe they haven't. Who knows?
cant stress this enough. the g35 is known to be a great car for its performance, but when it comes down to the interior, the quality is definitely not up to par with lexus. in general, the interiors of most infinitis/nissans are not as sturdy or reliable as those of lexuses. of course, this does not mean that all infinitis and nissans are crap cars, im just saying that many of them tend to have at least a few problems in their early years. for example, i had a 2004 g35 sedan (this was when the g35 sedan was rated as one of the top sedans for i think 3 years straight). unfortunately, only a few months after i got the car, the door panel on the drivers side started to rattle and came a little loose and it sounded like crap. whenever i shut the door it sounded like i was shutting the door of an old ford crown victoria...and honestly stupid little things like that bother me when i pay 40k for a car that i supposed to be luxurious. PLUS the brakes of that model were terrible. i had to get new brakes at 9k miles. infiniti later figured out that there was a problem with all the brakes of the 2004 models...took them long enough. needless to say i just wasnt happy with the quality of the g35. infiniti just doesnt seem to put that much effort into the quality of their cars in my opinion. lexus, on the other hand, seems to be much better about selling quality cars and providing great customer service. im at 22k miles and i havent had a single problem yet. of course this is wat i would expect when i pay 40 grand for a car.

as far as performance goes, the g35 is a great competitor, but imo its not that great for racing. as stated before, the g35's 0-120 is a bit faster than that of the is350. but the is350's 0-60 and 0-100 is faster than that of the g35. to me, 0-60 and 0-100 is much more important to 0-120. i rarely ever have to race such a distance that 0-120 even matters because i typically get to maybe 90-110 by the end of a race (on the road that is). so top-end the g35 MAY be better, but i dont see why that would really matter, especially since the difference is SO slight. 0.3 seconds is probably not a big enough difference to be statistically significant anyhow. therefore that 0.3 seconds probably doesnt mean anything, considering the fact that even slight differences in the way the car was driven could cause such a short time difference

im no genius about cars or anything. but thats my opinion on it
Old 03-06-07, 11:37 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by x2mkx
im no genius about cars or anything. but thats my opinion on it
It doesn't take a genius to know which car gave you the better overall ownership experience, and you conveyed that very well. It's the only thing that matters in the long run.
Old 03-06-07, 11:53 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I would of went with the IS 350 but for 3 reason I would go with the G
1. The oil leak problem a couple of guys at the gym 2006 with less than 20k have told me that there cars are having small oil leaks.
2. The reflectors on the back of the car
3. No room in the back seats(why make a 4 door with that little of room.
That's my opinion for not getting the IS. before you purchase check out the 335 coupe.
Old 03-06-07, 12:27 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
I would of went with the IS 350 but for 3 reason I would go with the G
1. The oil leak problem a couple of guys at the gym 2006 with less than 20k have told me that there cars are having small oil leaks.
2. The reflectors on the back of the car
3. No room in the back seats(why make a 4 door with that little of room.
That's my opinion for not getting the IS. before you purchase check out the 335 coupe.
The G's are still having issues with burning too much oil (more than a quart/K miles) that are having to get their engines replaced.

The reflectors are not a concern either way for me but that doesn't lessen the fact that you have an issue with them.

In terms of the rear seats, no argument there. If you need to carry adults back there on a regular basis, the IS is not for you.
Old 03-06-07, 01:09 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
The G's are still having issues with burning too much oil (more than a quart/K miles) that are having to get their engines replaced.

The reflectors are not a concern either way for me but that doesn't lessen the fact that you have an issue with them.

In terms of the rear seats, no argument there. If you need to carry adults back there on a regular basis, the IS is not for you.
I haven't heard anything about G35 burning oil but I know for a fact my boy's IS 350 was leaking oil I didn't believe him until he showed me. My 1998 with over 125k doesn't leak oil and his car with less than 20k is leaking. He got it fixed but he said he is going to get rid of it for either the G35 coupe or the 335 coupe
Maybe I should tell to check up on the g about burning oil.
Old 03-06-07, 01:24 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

I haven't heard anything about G35 burning oil but I know for a fact my boy's IS 350 was leaking oil I didn't believe him until he showed me. My 1998 with over 125k doesn't leak oil and his car with less than 20k is leaking. He got it fixed but he said he is going to get rid of it for either the G35 coupe or the 335 coupe
I think he just misread your original message thinking that you were saying the G35 burned oil when in fact you were saying that the IS was burning the oil.

Fact is, ALL cars are going to have bad apples. The question is how often do those bad apples occur - and it is proven statistically that Nissan / Infiniti has more problems (big and little) than Toyota / Lexus. So, while I understand your friend's frustration with his problems on his IS, just because he jumps over to BMW (who has a TERRIBLE track record) or Infiniti doesn't mean something won't happen there too. Plus, if it was just this one problem and now it is fixed and there have been NO other problems, I think that's pretty good. I used to have a BMW and had tons of problems. But, our Lexus has had none (only had it one year, though). you've got to look at overall reliability in these things. Not just one person's bad experience.
Old 03-06-07, 01:27 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Just curious, but where was the oil leaking from? I've never heard of an IS350 with this issue.
Old 03-06-07, 01:36 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

G35....I like the coupe not sedan....BUT I DON'T LIKE THE G35 DRIVER...when ever they see any car that have a little mod, they would do something stupid, like gun their car so they can go faster, (may be they want to prove that their car is faster with 250 something horse...)etc. most of the G35 that I saw on the road do that....
Old 03-06-07, 01:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Guys let's not make sweeping stereotypes. There are jerk Lexus drivers just like there are jerk drivers of every make and model.

Both the G35 and 2IS are fine cars.
Old 03-06-07, 01:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand what technical advantage there is in having a higher redline as long as your Power RPM is below redline.

Is it just so it's harder to accidentally over-rev?
Old 03-06-07, 02:39 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys let's not make sweeping stereotypes. There are jerk Lexus drivers just like there are jerk drivers of every make and model.

Both the G35 and 2IS are fine cars.
Yes sir...But 9 out of 10 it happened like that....
Old 03-06-07, 04:05 PM
ambientFLI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by al503

The '07's aren't having any issues with that. The whole engine in brand new, with something like 80% new parts, and I'm sure the oil consumption was part of the reason for the redesign. They must be confident in it, since they pushed the redline even higher.

Some of the earlier G/350Z cars had a problem with their 300hp rev-up motors, the ones that revved till 7000, it seemed that the oil was somehow getting past the piston rings at higher engine speeds and was burned.

Last edited by ambientFLI; 03-06-07 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 04:06 PM
ambientFLI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I don't understand what technical advantage there is in having a higher redline as long as your Power RPM is below redline.

Is it just so it's harder to accidentally over-rev?

There really isn't a technical "advantage", but it's just fun.
Old 03-06-07, 05:49 PM
FlyBri
Driver School Candidate

Lets just put it this way, I had a G35S on order at 2 different dealerships (both didn't go through b/c they thought they could get the car and they both ended up not being available.) I didn't consider the IS 350 b/c I thought it was out of my price range. I decided to call up some dealerships anyway to see if I could get a good deal, and I happen to find a dealer by me who had what I wanted in stock, and I was able to bargin for a good price. I still paid more than I would have for a G35S, but the extra cost was well worth it. I don't regret getting a G35 in the least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35