IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front license plate mounting alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 11:41 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate mounting alternatives?

I got my first front plate ticket at LAX Friday while picking up my parents... parked in the lot. I should have parked towards the wall, but instead I parked on the end of a row and received a $25 ticket.

I had the car since 10/01/2006 and no problems, even when I got pulled over for another reason (which I didn't receive a ticket for either), but I heard a lot of people getting tickets at LAX from other forums as well. Anyway...

This was recommended to me, a Stillen Front License Plate Mount, but it's for the G and 350z only. Our bumpers are slanted, so it won't work (gonna call them anyway), so I'm wondering if there's other alternatives.

I've decided I'll allow 3 tickets for the front (knock on wood), but I rather comply with the law anyway while not having holes and the ugly plastic bracket stuck on the front of the car.
Old 02-19-07, 01:55 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gyung
I got my first front plate ticket at LAX Friday while picking up my parents... parked in the lot. I should have parked towards the wall, but instead I parked on the end of a row and received a $25 ticket.

I had the car since 10/01/2006 and no problems, even when I got pulled over for another reason (which I didn't receive a ticket for either), but I heard a lot of people getting tickets at LAX from other forums as well. Anyway...

This was recommended to me, a Stillen Front License Plate Mount, but it's for the G and 350z only. Our bumpers are slanted, so it won't work (gonna call them anyway), so I'm wondering if there's other alternatives.

I've decided I'll allow 3 tickets for the front (knock on wood), but I rather comply with the law anyway while not having holes and the ugly plastic bracket stuck on the front of the car.
if you get a front license ticket in city of SF, it will cost u $1XX and it's NOT a FIX-IT ticket.....that's why I'd rather drill the holes to get the bracket....sigh
Old 02-19-07, 08:19 AM
bobjackson
Driver School Candidate

i'd be interested to know as well. got pulled over the other day specifically for no front plate.
Old 02-19-07, 08:51 AM
lexem
Pole Position

I have the bracket from my old G35 and it didn't work. The threads are different and the post to not long enough. I thought about this idea because the plate wouldn’t be in the center of the car. More towards the outside of the car but it didn’t work. I’m sure you could find something or maybe make something.
Old 02-19-07, 08:53 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lax is notorious for giving out tickets for not having a front plate. thats why if i had to park at LAX i would do it a private lot.
Old 02-19-07, 02:47 PM
neova
Pole Position

Not sure if this will work with our IS but in a pervious vehicle I owned I bought some L-brackets from home depot and drilled holes on the underside of the lower grill and attached the L-brackets there, then the license plates directly. You would still have to drill holes in your front bumper but it's on the underside and can't be seen.
Old 02-19-07, 04:18 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

LAX gives you tickets for "safety" reasons... if they have an active checkpoint, be sure to double stick your license plate when you have to go pick someone up or drop someone off. The cameras are actively looking at the plates to verify people.
Old 02-19-07, 04:59 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Get the bracket painted... I had my front plate bracket and a frame painted the same color of my car. Looks alright now.
Old 02-19-07, 09:24 PM
Sundance
Driver

Some or all of you may not want to here what my solution to no plates is but here goes. When I bought my Nissan SER with no front plates I ordered and paid for a license plate mounting bracket and kept the invoice in the glove box. I was pulled over on 3 seperate occassions for no front plate. I told the officer the that I have oedered a mounting bracket and showed him the invoice. 3 warnings and no tickets in 2 years. Guess what I just ordered from Lexus ?

Again, I know most of u don't want to be deceptive ( nor do i ) and I have to say my desire to have no front plate on the face of this killer car out weighed my want to conform, Sorry.

just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Sundance
Old 02-20-07, 07:49 AM
gyung
Pole Position

I keep my plate and mounting in the trunk now, but do you just screw it on? Because I was thinking about just telling them I'm waiting to take it to Lexus to get it fixed on. I was planning on doing it, but it's just so damn ugly.

Hopefully someone would come up with a tow hitch plate thingy soon... I'm gonna try calling Stillen today again.
Old 02-21-07, 09:10 AM
Blahzay
Driver School Candidate

Anybody ever used anything like this?

I bought one to keep in my trunk with the plate, but haven't actually tried to mount it...
Old 02-21-07, 06:17 PM
Cleric
Driver

The least invasive option I can think of would be to tape the plate to the bumper cover using 3M emblem adhesive tape. My state does not require front plates but if I did not want to drill into my bumper I would go this route. I've used this tape before and it is strong stuff.

My only concern with this would be the potential for the tape to rip off the paint during removal at a future time. My solution to this concern would be to apply clear protective film first.
Old 02-21-07, 06:21 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I thought about gluing some magnets into the inside of my bumper, then fabbing a magnetic plate bracket so I could pull it on and off at will .
Old 02-21-07, 09:48 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blahzay
Anybody ever used anything like this?

I bought one to keep in my trunk with the plate, but haven't actually tried to mount it...
That's kinda what I was looking for. Anything that mounts to a grill basically is ok for me, but I'm wondering if there is enough clearance. I have black OEM 3M tape which is very strong, but if the plate falls it's it's a liability so I don't want to take the risk.

If you have time would you might trying to see if it fits? The site says it's for Scions, so which one did you choose? Thanks!!

EDIT: After checking out the Scion forums, it seems just as easy to make my own. The idea is simple, i'm just unsure of the durability =P If I ever get around to it i'll be sure to post some pictures!

Last edited by gyung; 02-21-07 at 10:07 PM.