IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250AWD Snow Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 08:37 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile IS 250AWD Snow Performance

I purchased my IS250 AWD at the end of February last year, so I had to wait nearly a whole year to see how the car performed in the snow.

Earlier this week a snow and ice storm dumped 2-6 inches of snow in southern nj and in Eastern PA. In the Pocono area the situation was worse, as whole sections of I-80 were shut down and cars and trucks were stranded for hours.

My drive to work in the Valley Forge area takes me over two lane roads with many hills. A scenic drive, but no fun with rear wheel drive in the winter.

What can I say. The IS absolutely rocks in the snow! I could pull away from a dead stop without any slipping. The only time I felt slipping, which was very minor, was when I hit the gas hard, or if I was starting in more than 3 inches of snow. I stopped on several snow covered, 20+degree uphill inclines and accelerated without any noticable slipping--the car just pulled up the hill.

At night, I wanted to compare the traction of the IS to my son's rear wheel drive BMW 3 series and to my wife's BMW 530XI. Even on relatively flat roads, it was almost impossible to start the 3 series without some slipping. The traction control was constantly working. On the other hand both the IS AWD and the 530XI performed admirably in the snow.

On Friday, my son and I went skiing in the Poconos. He was meeting friends, so he took his car. Because sections of I80 were shut down, we had to take to take a detour on rt 209, parts of which were never plowed. We had to stop and then go about a 1/4 mile up a steep hill. The IS accelerated up the hill with no problem--meanwhile I'm looking in my rear view mirror, watching my son's car struggle to gain traction. I could tell he was having problems when the car began fish tailing. I'm laughing my a** off, and after he finally makes it up the hill I call him on my cell phone and ask--"are you having fun yet". He laughed and said he didn't think he was going to make it--and yes he had to turn off the traction control--that's why he was fishtailing. I then said, I guess you'll want AWD on your next car.

Anyway, for anyone considering the IS 250AWD, the car is absolutely fantastic in the snow.
Old 02-17-07, 09:56 PM
TheLexSter
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I purchased my IS250 AWD at the end of February last year, so I had to wait nearly a whole year to see how the car performed in the snow.

Earlier this week a snow and ice storm dumped 2-6 inches of snow in southern nj and in Eastern PA. In the Pocono area the situation was worse, as whole sections of I-80 were shut down and cars and trucks were stranded for hours.

My drive to work in the Valley Forge area takes me over two lane roads with many hills. A scenic drive, but no fun with rear wheel drive in the winter.

What can I say. The IS absolutely rocks in the snow! I could pull away from a dead stop without any slipping. The only time I felt slipping, which was very minor, was when I hit the gas hard, or if I was starting in more than 3 inches of snow. I stopped on several snow covered, 20+degree uphill inclines and accelerated without any noticable slipping--the car just pulled up the hill.

At night, I wanted to compare the traction of the IS to my son's rear wheel drive BMW 3 series and to my wife's BMW 530XI. Even on relatively flat roads, it was almost impossible to start the 3 series without some slipping. The traction control was constantly working. On the other hand both the IS AWD and the 530XI performed admirably in the snow.

On Friday, my son and I went skiing in the Poconos. He was meeting friends, so he took his car. Because sections of I80 were shut down, we had to take to take a detour on rt 209, parts of which were never plowed. We had to stop and then go about a 1/4 mile up a steep hill. The IS accelerated up the hill with no problem--meanwhile I'm looking in my rear view mirror, watching my son's car struggle to gain traction. I could tell he was having problems when the car began fish tailing. I'm laughing my a** off, and after he finally makes it up the hill I call him on my cell phone and ask--"are you having fun yet". He laughed and said he didn't think he was going to make it--and yes he had to turn off the traction control--that's why he was fishtailing. I then said, I guess you'll want AWD on your next car.

Anyway, for anyone considering the IS 250AWD, the car is absolutely fantastic in the snow.
I can agree on the snow performance! Chicago had a good storm last tuesday. I still hadn't bought the car as I was debating a G35 or a TL. anyway I went to the dealer to do a "snow" test drive..
I drove one off the lot and drove all over that night watching others fish tale ... in ditches, etc...
Old 02-17-07, 11:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
The IS accelerated up the hill with no problem--meanwhile I'm looking in my rear view mirror, watching my son's car struggle to gain traction. I could tell he was having problems when the car began fish tailing. I'm laughing my a** off, and after he finally makes it up the hill I call him on my cell phone and ask--"are you having fun yet". He laughed and said he didn't think he was going to make it--and yes he had to turn off the traction control--that's why he was fishtailing. I then said, I guess you'll want AWD on your next car.
What kind of tires does your son have on his 3 series? Summer tires, all seasons, or snows?
Old 02-18-07, 03:19 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
What kind of tires does your son have on his 3 series? Summer tires, all seasons, or snows?
Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z 225-45 ZR-17

Tire Rack calls them Grand Touring All Season Tires. Actually, they are pretty decent tires, except when you're trying to go up an ice/snow covered hill.
Old 02-18-07, 03:57 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

My loaner was a IS 250 AWD and I really enjoyed driving it - especially since VA had just been hit with a few inches of snow. It was nice timing!
Old 02-18-07, 07:02 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Life, what kind of tires are on your IS250? I put snow tires on ours and it handles great and gets very good traction.
Old 02-18-07, 07:06 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

great story! makes me appreciate socal weather with rwd on dry pavement =D
Old 02-19-07, 12:46 PM
Nvalenti20
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree....I am extremely happy with the IS's AWD system....thing is a freakin tank. Granted my last 4 cars have been awd but the IS is the most technilogically advanced of them all...obviously. However...the only thing I don't like is when going around a turn from a dead stop or very slow roll I like to get the car sideways sometimes in an awd car....the IS will NOT allow me to do this so the fun factor is slightly reduced but hey, its a Lexus...I probably shouldn't be trying to do that anyways
Old 02-19-07, 08:36 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Yeah. Snow mode works great. You need no skill to drive in the snow except to force yourself to drive slow. It does take the fun out of it.