IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what's going to void the warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 10:54 AM
LEWIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's going to void the warrenty

i just bought a 07 .. should have asked the dealer but i just have this feeling that they would bs me.. anyways i want to put in a system ... amp, wires, and 2 subs... now i asked the dude at bbuy and he said to check with the dealer. now i've seen some people here on cl has put in systems .. can you tell me would it void my warrenty??
Old 02-17-07, 01:24 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only if what you did caused the failure and they can prove it.
Old 02-17-07, 02:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
Only if what you did caused the failure and they can prove it.
Therein lies the rub, because it is not if THEY can prove it, it is if YOU can prove that it didn't cause the failure. Once you mod it sets up an adversarial relationship between you and the dealer if something goes wrong. As long as you are aware of that and can accept a big 'NYET' from the dealer if something goes wrong, all is cool. Some dealers are more forgiving than others. Remember, Lexus's are owned by older drivers and they don't mod as a rule. So someone who comes in with a hotted up IS is something out of the ordinary.
Old 02-17-07, 04:19 PM
Argentum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Therein lies the rub, because it is not if THEY can prove it, it is if YOU can prove that it didn't cause the failure. Once you mod it sets up an adversarial relationship between you and the dealer if something goes wrong. As long as you are aware of that and can accept a big 'NYET' from the dealer if something goes wrong, all is cool.
In short, at the dealer service department I work at; it's only if a certain modification causes a part to fail. If there's any gray area, it's not going likely to be in your favor. Of course, any decent Lexus dealer's service department will honor the warranty for a part that fails that not related to any modification.

Eaxmple: If you have installed a turbocharger or aftermarket stereo, it isn't going to affect the portion of your warranty that deals with say, a faulty power seat motor, or the air conditioning, unless some sort of hack-up of the wiring harness can be pinpointed as the culprit.
Old 02-17-07, 04:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Evitzee is right. The mechanism by which warranty coverage for a specific failure is confirmed or denied is specified in the manufacturer's warranty documents, not by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 02-17-07, 06:51 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

everyone should understand that regardless of the situation, an auto warranty is subject to mediation. it is at the mediation where EVERYONE will try to prove their point. so if you are dealer, don't bet on just denying claims and waiting for customer to act and if you are the customer, don't expect the force the dealer to do the warranty work unless he can prove anything. good grief.
Old 02-17-07, 06:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

meant to say there are provisions for arbitration and mediation.
Old 02-17-07, 08:18 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
meant to say there are provisions for arbitration and mediation.
woo, big words! way to go kensteele.
Old 02-18-07, 12:50 AM
305Cane
Driver School Candidate

if the dealer installs it you're cool...if an aftermarket shop installs it and whatever they install causes a booboo then its subject to the shop's warranty...just make sure u get lifetime warranties from the aftermarket and you should be covered...unless theres a lawyer out there on CL that has something else to say...
Old 02-18-07, 01:21 AM
krookid
Driver

I have a big system in my IS350(06) and everytime I have brought it by the dealership, I have the sales manager all oohing and ahhhing how nice it is. Of course like mentioned above it is most likely because a "done up" Lexus is not the norm, especially around here where they only sell around 90 units a year for the whole province, majority being ES's and RX's, actually my dealership has only sold 2 IS350's thus far and I own them both, but that's off topic sorry. Being that it is a very small volume dealership, they pretty much overlook any mods and service the car no questions asked, in fact they replaced my nav when it screwed up, and it was determined that it was a loose wire from the hack, so they soldered it all up tight so I wouldn't have any more problems . I guess it very much depends on the dealership.
Old 02-18-07, 02:21 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by krookid
they pretty much overlook any mods and service the car no questions asked, in fact they replaced my nav when it screwed up, and it was determined that it was a loose wire from the hack, so they soldered it all up tight so I wouldn't have any more problems . I guess it very much depends on the dealership.
Dude man...your dealership is crazy! I wish mine did stuff like that lol. They won't even touch my car because they see that it's modded. If I ever bring my car in for something, they always tell me there's gonna be a $100 diagnostics fee upfront. I never take my car up there for anything now. I even do all my own oil/fluid changes and maintenance. On another note, when my car was stock. They did pretty much anything with no questions. I guess they just don't like fixed up cars.