IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't close moonroof. Malfunctions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 02:17 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't close moonroof. Malfunctions.

This is not a defect, but I think I may have casuse this. I was testing out the safety feature (Pinch protection ) for the windows using auto. Put your hand in the windows as it rows up. The window will automatically row back down to avoid crushing anything in the way. I tried this with the windows and it works great. I decided to do this with the moonroof. Instead of my hand, I used a notebook. The notebook got crushed a little before the moonroof opens up again. After the incident, the moonroof refuse to close. It will try to close, but once it reach a certain point (3/4 the way) it goes back into reverse. I read the manual and force it to close by holding the auto close button for 10 seconds. As it was closing, you can hear a sound that seems like it went off the pulley system or rail.

Yesterday, no matter what I do, open or close, the moonroof will just tilt up and down. Sometimes it will open and close fine. I brought it to the dealers and they said it has something to do with my aftermarket alarm systems interferring with the computer. I find this hard to believe. I had the alarm for 2 months and everythign works fine.

Have anyone experience anything similar.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 02-14-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 02:24 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you explain to the dealership the exact steps you were testing out your moonroof with?
Old 02-14-07, 02:32 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
did you explain to the dealership the exact steps you were testing out your moonroof with?
Yes, I did explained it to the service advisor. He confirmed what's in the manual that the moonroof should have the same safety feature like the windows. He told me, his best technician took a look at it and came to the conclusion that my aftermarket alarm system was causing the malfunction. I told him it was working fine until the day I was messing around with the car. The lamest excuse he gave me. The computer finally caught up to the possible bad wiring of the alarm system. If this is the case, I'm going to ask them to reset the CPU.
Old 02-14-07, 02:33 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

are you sure you didn't test the windows with your head? That's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard of
Old 02-14-07, 02:35 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jewel
are you sure you didn't test the windows with your head? That's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard of
You Should Have!..*
Old 02-14-07, 02:44 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

I didn't know about this safety feature until my brother mentioned it to me. Always find something new about this car. Now I feel really bad for to causing harm to my IS. Even though this works, I didn't dare to use my hand. The windows on auto rolls up very fast, if this doesnt' work, there's won't be enough time to pull your hand out.

Even though it's more of a child safety feature, I also think this will be bad, if you are being car jack.
Old 02-14-07, 02:55 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the techician blamed it on your aftermarket alarm so they won't need to fix it through warranty. I don't have the handbook in front of me but i'm sure somewhere in there states that if you do anything to the car and causes something else to break or fail because of that add on.... that problem will not be covered under warranty and you will have to pay out of pocket.
Old 02-14-07, 03:16 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

God I hope not. If the pinch protection did not work in the first place, then it's a defect. Now that I did more reading on this. It seems the pinch protection is kicking in. I read a lot of similar posts with the VW forum I found through Google. Perhaps a reset is in order. How to do this is beyond me. I dont; have the manual in front of me, but is there a reset for the windows and sunroof such as removing fuses.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 02-14-07 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 03:30 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Maybe you could try opening all the windows and the moonroof by holding the unlock button on the remote until they are all fully open. Can't hurt, I reckon.
Old 02-14-07, 03:36 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you sure you didn't test the windows with your head? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of
I don't think it is dumb at all. If you have kids you know one of the first things you do is test the safety features of things like this. When we installed our new garage door opener, I tested the safety feature to see if it will or will not crush my kid. When we got the RX330 with electronic lift gate I tested it out to see how much force it needed before it will reverse. I mean, how else will you know if you the safety feature is working properly to protect your kids? I sure as hell am not going to wait until an accident actually happens.
Old 02-14-07, 03:39 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by CWS
Maybe you could try opening all the windows and the moonroof by holding the unlock button on the remote until they are all fully open. Can't hurt, I reckon.
I will give this a shot when I get my car back. My car is still at the dealer, it may be there for a few more days. They are waiting for delivery for a new NAvigation lcd display. I found one bad pixel. It's hardly noticeable, and I wasn't expecting them to change it, but they did. I know for computer monitors, you have to have at least 4 or more bad pixel before it can be consider a defect.
Old 02-14-07, 03:41 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

I hope you don't test your airbags too...

If my kid puts his hand out the window I'm going to yell at him not to then roll the window up... I wouldn't wait/depend on the window to roll up and roll back down after hitting him...

saftey features are there for safetys sake, not to be played/toyed with
Old 02-14-07, 06:48 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so it's ok to test features if they can be tested or it is cost feasible. it's not likely that you can test the airbag jewel, there's no way to do that so you can't expect it. not only is it expensive to replace the airbags but also you have to provide some sort of collision...doesn't make sense to test at all.
Old 02-14-07, 07:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what if you just disconnected the negative post on the battery for a couple of hours to reset everything? its worth a shot...

note - you'd have to re-sync the windows after doing this.
Old 02-14-07, 07:26 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey now guys! Just hold on a minute.

I have the same issue with my MOON-ROOF. That dam thing wont close on its own--AND NO I DID NOT PUT A LAPTOP in to test the safety features.

So what gives? Why did it break all of a sudden. I had done nothing electrical with the car.... Strange, is it not?

Quick Reply: Can't close moonroof. Malfunctions.