IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can't close moonroof. Malfunctions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 07:39 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on now guys. I also think it's good to test safety features...mine only creased my son's head a little, but he's fine. Nothing that time and a good psychiatrist can't heal.
Old 02-14-07, 08:38 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Hey now guys! Just hold on a minute.

I have the same issue with my MOON-ROOF. That dam thing wont close on its own--AND NO I DID NOT PUT A LAPTOP in to test the safety features.

So what gives? Why did it break all of a sudden. I had done nothing electrical with the car.... Strange, is it not?
I went to the dealership to pick up my car today. It was not fixed at all, and the service consultant keep on telling me the aftermarket alarm is the perpetrator. They told me to bring it back to my installer and have them disable the alarm and bring it back to them. On the way home, I was fiddling with the moonroof again and it seems to be working fine when the car is in motion. I remember reading about reinitializing and re-calibrating the moonroof in the VW forum. I tried what they suggest and that did the trick.

I notice my settings has been reset. I believed the technician must have reset the ECU. On the receipt, it said "unable to reinitialize the setting for the sunroof." I opened and closed it completely a few times to re-calibrate (ECU to learn) the sunroof.

Call me dumb, but as I drove the car home. I was testing the pinch protection again on the moonroof. lolz . This time i applied a little force to the sunroof as it try to close half way with myhand and it went back into reverse instantly. ( PS I did not use a LAPTOP, are you kidding me. ) lolz.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 02-14-07 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 09:21 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how did you recalibrate it... i don't go to the VW forums... maybe you could share over here... good thing you didn't have to go through the hassle of disarming re arming etc etc
Old 02-14-07, 10:00 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by Batmobile
how did you recalibrate it... i don't go to the VW forums... maybe you could share over here... good thing you didn't have to go through the hassle of disarming re arming etc etc
I think I should have use the word re-sync instead of recalibrate to avoid confusion. Although it's two different types of car, I followed the instruction on this page.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2900753 The concept is the same for our car. Basically what I did after the ECU has been reset was to open and close the sunroof fully and repeating the process it 3-4 times to let the ECU learn to re-sync itself. You do the same thing with the windows by pressing and holding the auto mode as it open and close.

You will find similar posts from the Bimmer forum also. A quick Google keyword search " pinch protection + can't close sunroof" is how I found out about it.. It turns out to be a common issue with other makes of cars. In my case, the ECU was reset. I believe this may be the key because the technician indicates the moonroof is not communicating with the computer and believe the wiring for the aftermarket alarm is obstructing the communications.

Last edited by kqt2ktval; 02-14-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 04:05 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
I think I should have use the word re-sync instead of recalibrate to avoid confusion. Although it's two different types of car, I followed the instruction on this page.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2900753 The concept is the same for our car. Basically what I did after the ECU has been reset was to open and close the sunroof fully and repeating the process it 3-4 times to let the ECU learn to re-sync itself. You do the same thing with the windows by pressing and holding the auto mode as it open and close.
I'll try and open the moon-roof manually today, and see if that fixes the problem... IHOPESO
Old 02-15-07, 06:38 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jewel
I hope you don't test your airbags too...

If my kid puts his hand out the window I'm going to yell at him not to then roll the window up... I wouldn't wait/depend on the window to roll up and roll back down after hitting him...

saftey features are there for safetys sake, not to be played/toyed with

I give you a lot of credit to be able to catch every single potential dangerous thing your kids do. I try to be as vigilant as possible, but I'm only human and I don't aways see everything my 3 year old does. I mean, I sure as heck wont roll up the window if I see his hand there, but who knows maybe he will roll up the window himself with his head sticking out the window.

As you said. Safety features are there for safety sake. If we are supposed to catch everything before it happens why even bother with the safety feature in the fist place? The airbag test is really not a practical argument. You very well should know I'm not taking about testing airbags.
Old 02-15-07, 08:26 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, After i started the car, I

Held the Moon-roof button, untill it stoped it self.

Held the Moon-roof button again, until it stoped automatic.

Now it works fine....
Old 02-15-07, 08:30 AM
PinoyBruin
Driver

I'm glad that the problem was resolved without having to have your alarm taken taken out.
Old 02-15-07, 09:03 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by t0e
Ok, After i started the car, I

Held the Moon-roof button, untill it stoped it self.

Held the Moon-roof button again, until it stoped automatic.

Now it works fine....
That's good news. Glad I was able to contribute something useful for a change.
Old 05-13-09, 10:31 PM
D_W_E_85
Rookie

My sunroof got stuck today as well. It would respond to anything and did some wierd clicking noise. I did the 10 sec hold and reset the sunroof. Now it runs new again.
Old 05-13-09, 10:36 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This happened to me once as well. Just hold the button down so it can reset itself
Old 05-14-09, 01:17 PM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
I went to the dealership to pick up my car today. It was not fixed at all, and the service consultant keep on telling me the aftermarket alarm is the perpetrator. They told me to bring it back to my installer and have them disable the alarm and bring it back to them. On the way home, I was fiddling with the moonroof again and it seems to be working fine when the car is in motion. I remember reading about reinitializing and re-calibrating the moonroof in the VW forum. I tried what they suggest and that did the trick.

I notice my settings has been reset. I believed the technician must have reset the ECU. On the receipt, it said "unable to reinitialize the setting for the sunroof." I opened and closed it completely a few times to re-calibrate (ECU to learn) the sunroof.

Call me dumb, but as I drove the car home. I was testing the pinch protection again on the moonroof. lolz . This time i applied a little force to the sunroof as it try to close half way with myhand and it went back into reverse instantly. ( PS I did not use a LAPTOP, are you kidding me. ) lolz.

And the big question is.....................did you call the idiot dealer and explain that you solved it and how you did so!
Old 05-14-09, 06:47 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Mine would not close either the other day, then I read in the manual how to make it close. I believe you turn the **** to the dark dot and press the turn **** up and hold for 30 seconds or something, this re-sets it. Worked great.
Old 05-15-09, 07:10 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

i know its dumb... but i have to say me and my friend actually did the same thing, instead it was with the sleeve of his hoody. i figured if the widows had the safety feature so would the mood roof... wellllll wen i herd a crack/pop i realized it didnt lol damn... gotta try this now lol