IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 05:13 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)

Does anyone know where the GPS antenna hooks up?

I promise to have a complete write up, if the person who helped me installed it doesnt mind.

IT WORKS.

But I dont know where to hook the GPS antenna?

The red circles are the Digital Audio
The Blue Circles are the Regular AM/FM antenna
The Green Circles are the Digital Video

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)-bluetogreyt0169.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
IZA350c (07-07-21)
Old 02-12-07, 09:34 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Bump for the late late crowd. I need some help! No one is interested in the OEM navi install?
Old 02-12-07, 09:44 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know?

What does the end of the GPS connector look like?
Old 02-13-07, 06:11 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Its just a grey square. With a single connector in the middle.
Old 02-13-07, 08:54 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Bump for the late late crowd. I need some help! No one is interested in the OEM navi install?
Where did you get the OEM navi unit, if you don't mind telling us?

Def keep us update. I am really interested in it.

Sorry that I cant help answer your question, but good luck with your install.
Old 02-13-07, 09:15 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

plus one here pls I am having the non-navi system and would like to upgraded to either Navi that could play DVD or a ML head unit replaced...
Old 02-13-07, 09:31 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does your ac work thru the nav screen too? looking forward to your write up...
Old 02-13-07, 09:38 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
Where did you get the OEM navi unit, if you don't mind telling us?

Def keep us update. I am really interested in it.

Sorry that I cant help answer your question, but good luck with your install.

We got it used from the classifieds section. It came with the complete Dash/Engine wiring harness... so that helped out immensly.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-13-07 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-13-07, 01:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

No one is interested in the OEM navi install?
sure lots of people are interested. they just want to ask questions in their own threads that they start without searching lol.
Old 02-13-07, 03:37 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just a grey square. With a single connector in the middle.

Im sure if it does not plug into the Radio Head Unit Directly.

It most likely plugs into somewhere near where the head unit is mounted.

TO BAD i already installed my AVN6600 Eclipse :O ... anyway i would like to do this also
Old 02-13-07, 05:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ISbb
plus one here pls I am having the non-navi system and would like to upgraded to either Navi that could play DVD or a ML head unit replaced...
ML sytem is a lot more than just a head unit, if you really wanted to do both ML and Navi its going to be much less of a hassle and less expensive to trade in the car for one that does
Old 02-13-07, 09:16 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
sure lots of people are interested. they just want to ask questions in their own threads that they start without searching lol.
Hmmm, if thats directed at me... you should read my original Post again.

The Nav is installed and working(controls HVAC, plays movies, controls radio etc), except for the no antenna part(or BT or Back Up camera). I am pretty sure that EddieC and myself are the only ones who have done that... thus far.

Point me to any other thread started by someone other than myself and EddieC, that has an OP with an installed and working OEM NAV console in a factory Non-Nav 2G IS. I just need to know how the GPS antenna hooks into the Nav system

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-13-07 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 10:35 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the antenna plugs into the navigation gps computer gray colored plastic connector. i have the oringinal lexus denso antennas in stock if you need one. they have a metal base the antenna rests on and a plastic frame that attaches to the upper ceiling in the dash. the 5th genration gps computer is the unit with the 4 plugs in a row below the screen and above the 6 disc changer . the first plug on the left you have circled in red is definitely the gray gps antenna connector port. all the blue plastic connectors are all video in connectors. some for computer to screen and some for dvd movie playing changer to the screen............................................................................. i have been retrofitting mail order lexus oem nav systems for years so have lots of experince doing this mod. . the ac connection from non nav to nav is always the hardest part. i am presently working on the plug in and play install for the is350 nav unit with ML dvd player that i have just got in stock. . it can be retrofitted by anyone who can tap a few wires for speed sensor and reverse wire for the rear view camera. the add on harness i have made for retrofits do not require switching the whole dash harness........................................................................... the price is about the same as if you ordered it on a factory option. remember that when you option a nav system lexus is subtracting the cost of the non nav audio system so the option price is always less than the price of the unit alone without trade in after wards. . of course the new price from parts deptpartment for the oem parts always over $10,000 but used units more reflect the option price when new not the new price. lexus usa doesnt even have new parts in stock only refurbs...................................................................on the subject of audio upgrades for the nav retrofit it doesnt mater if you keep your non ml amp and speakers. the digital signal from the ml headunit is picked up just fine by the pioneer amp. if you wanted a mark levinson amp and a center speaker to go from 13 speaker pioneer system to 14 speaker to complete the total switch over. the pioneer and mark levinson amps use the same plugs just have to add the center speaker wiring. the price again would be about the same as if you ordered the ml system when new. so for owners whose area dealers didnt order nav systems for stock can get nav afterall if they desire. aftermarket installs dont look as clean an integrated as the factory install.
picture below is the 5th generation gps computer from the is350 unit it is 1 3rd the size of prevouis gps computers as the voice nav component has moved to the ml and pioneer radio amplifiers .pivtures attached of the plugged in gps antenna
Attached Thumbnails OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)-2006-is350-nav-system-back-005.jpg  

Last edited by lexusaudio; 02-17-07 at 05:43 AM. Reason: different picture.
Old 02-14-07, 02:58 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ML sytem is a lot more than just a head unit, if you really wanted to do both ML and Navi its going to be much less of a hassle and less expensive to trade in the car for one that does
Believing or not here is Macau doesn't have Navi or ML system offer in the IS ser. so I have to replace it with my stock in dash 6CD changer unit to one of those!
Old 02-14-07, 04:29 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

LexusAudio, thanks for the help, unfortunately the connector you have pointed to is connected to my ML head unit. If I diconnect it, I lose the DTS/DD Audio from the ML. So it must be jumping through the ML somehow?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-14-07 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply: OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)