ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Remaining miles does not include last 2 gals. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/264334-remaining-miles-does-not-include-last-2-gals.html)

CWS 02-07-07 11:16 PM

Remaining miles does not include last 2 gals.

Some of you may already know this, but I didn't. I assumed that the remaining miles number was for the last drop of gas, but today I drove it down to 1 mile remaining, filled up, and it took only 15.24 gallons. So, there were still 2 gallons in "reserve". The 'low fuel' light was on for a while, but I'm not sure for how many of the last miles.

sirkfc 02-07-07 11:20 PM

We had a discussion on this recently. Your assessment is what most of us are seeing, except for a few instances. Better to play it safe and fill up before 0.

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259538

SerKevin 02-08-07 06:05 AM

I'd need heart paddles if I let my car get down to 1 or 2 miles, LOL!

Anyway good to know that the mileage computer is relatively accurate. ;)

RyanDe680 02-08-07 08:03 AM

Shoot, I never let my tank go that low, especially in the winter....

RoRo 02-08-07 09:08 AM

I learned this on my trip out to Cali. I was in the middle of Arizona and there were no signs about how many more miles until there would be a fueling station. I was cruising at about 50 for a good 10 miles trying to conserve fuel. The remaining miles went to 0 and the next exit was 5 miles away. Then to kick me even more when I was down, I made the next exit and there wasn't a town around. So I drove about another 15 miles and finally found some small town that had 1 gas station and filled it up. I can't remember how many gallons of gas it took, but I was panicking that I was going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere for quite a few miles and doing 30 mph the whole time on the back roads.

kensteele 02-08-07 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by RoRo (Post 2410126)
I learned this on my trip out to Cali. I was in the middle of Arizona and there were no signs about how many more miles until there would be a fueling station. I was cruising at about 50 for a good 10 miles trying to conserve fuel. The remaining miles went to 0 and the next exit was 5 miles away. Then to kick me even more when I was down, I made the next exit and there wasn't a town around. So I drove about another 15 miles and finally found some small town that had 1 gas station and filled it up. I can't remember how many gallons of gas it took, but I was panicking that I was going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere for quite a few miles and doing 30 mph the whole time on the back roads.

i take it you don't have that worthless $2,000 nav option lol. :cry:

gsrthomas 02-08-07 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kensteele (Post 2410153)

With his garage who cares about a nav.

Foxberry 02-08-07 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by kensteele (Post 2410153)

You mean that worthless $2,500 nav option :D

IS_NIICE 02-08-07 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by SerKevin (Post 2409806)
I'd need heart paddles if I let my car get down to 1 or 2 miles, LOL!

Anyway good to know that the mileage computer is relatively accurate. ;)

haha, heart paddles lol. it took me awhile to realize that you meant a defibrillator.

haha, anyways i do think that the tank clock is off by a fractional margin. one time when i had 13 miles left to empty. i went into the gas station and put in about 1 gallon because i didnt have any cash. i got back into the car and the clock did not change one bit. it remained at 13 and continued down to 12 and kept goin down.

diablo1 02-09-07 11:36 AM

I also have concluded that it generally takes the last 2 gallons as margin of error. This is extremely annoying to me - there is no reason you can't build a very accurate fuel tank gauge in this day and age, and even if you want to build in a margin of error, 2 gallons out of 17 = 12% = pretty high. Someone wrote earier that on his Audi, 0 miles left means the tank is empty. I really wish our cars did that too.

Ramon 02-09-07 11:39 AM

I for one am grateful for that margin

combfilter 02-09-07 11:42 AM

hmmm that means next time i go to the track intead of running it with 1/4 tank of gas, i'll get it even lower to where the gas light comes on. that should give me some really good runs, and enough gas to make it home :)