IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

250 blacked out tails....take a look!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 10:26 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black out the reflectors too..I think there was another IS who had tails and reflectors blacked out and also had a vvti badge lol
Old 02-04-07, 01:45 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks sick wished i had a black car now i think smoke tail lights only look good on a black car my .02
Old 02-04-07, 04:09 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

thats the way it should look when you smoke your tails. nice and dark. if you are having visiblity problems you can always switch to LEDs for the oem lights.
Old 02-04-07, 07:40 AM
neova
Pole Position

Not my cup of tea. Now your rear lenses don't reflect light as it was originally designed to. Just don't park on a dark street at night because cars won't see your IS in time to avoid hitting it.
Old 02-04-07, 09:45 AM
isgrrl
Driver

Show some photos or videos of the lights lighting up! I love the look, it'd be nice to see how much light output you still get with those.
Old 02-04-07, 10:07 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

I like the blacked out theme.
Old 02-04-07, 11:56 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISbb
can you see the brake light at all? however it look so cool especially the backup light setup...
I’m glad someone finally asked that question. As we discussed in another thread, doing this in Florida is illegal and potentially dangerous due to the lessened brake light output, especially in bright daylight.

But no one seems to care about the law or safety. After all, it looks so cool.

Of course it may not look so great after you're rear-ended, knocking out the entire rear end, causing $10,000 in damage that your insurance company won't pay because of owner installed illegal tail lights.
Old 02-04-07, 12:01 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’m glad someone finally asked that question. As we discussed in another thread, doing this in Florida is illegal and potentially dangerous due to the lessened brake light output, especially in bright daylight.

But no one seems to care about the law or safety. After all, it looks so cool.

Of course it may not look so great after you're rear-ended, knocking out the entire rear end, causing $10,000 in damage that your insurance company won't pay because of owner installed illegal tail lights.
heres some pics of the tails on and its very sunny out

and about the law talked to many cops and my cousins a lawyer and says its perfectly fine......dont forget florida is very diffrenet from cali
later i will post night pics
Old 02-04-07, 12:15 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus250
and about the law talked to many cops and my cousins a lawyer and says its perfectly fine......dont forget florida is very diffrenet from cali
later i will post night pics
Well, for me, I can’t tell by those pictures. Certainly I don’t see any distinct shadows that would indicate a sunny day. But it seems to make sense that the light output has to be less than an unaltered tail light. To what degree is up to the driver coming up behind you.

And I don’t understand what your cousin-lawyer is saying to you. Either it’s legal or not. In that regard, Florida is no different than California.

Now if you were going to say that the cops in Florida don’t bother with this sort of thing, I was not going there. I was addressing the safety issue and the purpose for the law in the first place.

Hey, at any rate, I wish you well and hope you enjoy your car intact for many years.
Old 02-04-07, 12:31 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
Well, for me, I can’t tell by those pictures. Certainly I don’t see any distinct shadows that would indicate a sunny day. But it seems to make sense that the light output has to be less than an unaltered tail light. To what degree is up to the driver coming up behind you.

And I don’t understand what your cousin-lawyer is saying to you. Either it’s legal or not. In that regard, Florida is no different than California.

Now if you were going to say that the cops in Florida don’t bother with this sort of thing, I was not going there. I was addressing the safety issue and the purpose for the law in the first place.

Hey, at any rate, I wish you well and hope you enjoy your car intact for many years.
thanks, the light out put is a bit less but the law in florida states thet it must be visible from 1000 feet away and the visability is more then that i made sure when i did it.......its more like 2500 feet visible.
Old 02-04-07, 02:45 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

from the looks of the last picture it seems that you got a blk spray paint and painted over... i don't think you got the transparent black one... it's obvious that a lot of the light is blocked out...
Old 02-04-07, 02:49 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

What is the vvti badge for??
Old 02-04-07, 05:08 PM
tennistodd
Driver

Variable Valve Timing with Intellegence250 blacked out tails....take a look!-is-250-2.jpg
Old 02-04-07, 09:48 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

tint those reflectors.. doesnt really match with them being red.

but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-04-07, 10:14 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FinanceGuy
Got my taillights and reflectors painted last week. I'll try to post pics tomorrow. The tails should be visible at night. The question is, how visible is it on a sunny day...
You could be setting yourself up for a ticket and/or get sued if someone can't see your stop light.......day or night. Looks good......but is it safe? A whole different animal....

Quick Reply: 250 blacked out tails....take a look!