IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Adjustment Success!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 02:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I'm still pretty sure you can do this without a lot of gyrations just by changing the AFS sensor position on the rear suspension. I'm going to play with it a little to be sure, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't raise and lower the headlights without any other adjustments at all.
Old 08-05-07, 02:53 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

fwiw i just adjusted mine, compared to my TSX they are way too low, i found that the screw driver must make 5 full revolutions to turn the gear 1 tull turn, so i adjusted mine using the screw driver and with 2 full revolutions of the adjuster wheel the lights were better but not high enough, i read the owners manuel and followed the directions verbatim, if you havnt turned the 2nd adjustment on each light you will find the lights criss cross and too far to the left, you have to adjust both adjusters on each light the same amount to maintain the correct beam pattern.
i turned mine a total of 4 turns to get the lights where they actually hit just below street signs on a flat road. nobody flashed me while passing and now i can finally drive with the low beams on 100% improvement
Old 08-05-07, 01:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing it back
Old 08-06-07, 05:55 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
fwiw i just adjusted mine, compared to my TSX they are way too low, i found that the screw driver must make 5 full revolutions to turn the gear 1 tull turn, so i adjusted mine using the screw driver and with 2 full revolutions of the adjuster wheel the lights were better but not high enough, i read the owners manuel and followed the directions verbatim, if you havnt turned the 2nd adjustment on each light you will find the lights criss cross and too far to the left, you have to adjust both adjusters on each light the same amount to maintain the correct beam pattern.
i turned mine a total of 4 turns to get the lights where they actually hit just below street signs on a flat road. nobody flashed me while passing and now i can finally drive with the low beams on 100% improvement
Good post, clear instructions
Old 09-06-07, 06:03 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

just fix my hid...i used 44 counter clock wise... to raise up my beams..
Old 09-06-07, 09:44 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nehal51086
im about to have a 10k done....does anyone think the dealership would do this for me.....
I just had my 10,000 and they did it for me, but I have a good relationship with my service advisor. They are not supposed to and eventhough they did do the paper work says otherwise...You have nothing to loose by asking.
Old 09-07-07, 01:39 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Default ...and DO NOT do this:

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Bringing it back
Thanks for the post, Bass Mech. I finally got around to raising mine up a little. To add to what others said, you need a medium sized phillips head - I had one too large, and one too small, but I had a "ratchet" type the right size. Well, that wasn't a good idea, but I was too lazy to go get the correct tool (then, anyway). It worked in the vertical slots okay, but the extension piece and head are now stuck in the right side horizontal slot! If I develop a rattle over there, I'll know what it is. Then, I bothered to go get the right tool to do the left side. It's amazing how long it takes to do a job with the wrong $^%# tools!

Take note of the number of turns (5) of the screwdriver to turn the adjustment screw wheel 1 turn, as Bass Mech pointed out above, because you can't see the horizontal wheel while turning it.

I just raised mine 2 turns of the wheel (10 screwdriver turns) - I'll see how that looks next time I'm out at night.

Last edited by CWS; 09-07-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-07-07, 06:23 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CWS
Thanks for the post, Bass Mech. I finally got around to raising mine up a little. To add to what others said, you need a medium sized phillips head - I had one too large, and one too small, but I had a "ratchet" type the right size. Well, that wasn't a good idea, but I was too lazy to go get the correct tool (then, anyway). It worked in the vertical slots okay, but the extension piece and head are now stuck in the right side horizontal slot! If I develop a rattle over there, I'll know what it is. Then, I bothered to go get the right tool to do the left side. It's amazing how long it takes to do a job with the wrong $^%# tools!

Take note of the number of turns (5) of the screwdriver to turn the adjustment screw wheel 1 turn, as Bass Mech pointed out above, because you can't see the horizontal wheel while turning it.

I just raised mine 2 turns of the wheel (10 screwdriver turns) - I'll see how that looks next time I'm out at night.
Are you telling me you adjusted vertically and horizontally? Cause from the looks of it everyone else is only going vertically. Dude Im so lost...
Old 09-07-07, 06:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you telling me you adjusted vertically and horizontally? Cause from the looks of it everyone else is only going vertically. Dude Im so lost...
You can adjust it vertically with a wall but you wont know the horizontal untill you drive around and see the beam pattern on the ground. *i assume* I have a bunch of crap infront my garage wall so i haven't done this yet...
Old 09-07-07, 06:38 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

How off will it be if you only do vertical?
Old 09-07-07, 06:48 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Yes, from all the posts here, I deduced that you should turn the horizontals the same number of turns as the vertical. Not "everyone" did only the vertical, based on reading all the posts. I may have made an incorrect deduction, though, so I think I'll go out right now, and drive down a dark road and see if I can tell the difference.
Also, I'll be able to see the pattern on the wall in front of my parking area, which I couldn't see well during the daytime.

...OK, just got back. I could see MUCH better on the country roads - well enough to say to myself "what's that hopping (thump, thump) in the road - frogs?". Yep, sorry, frogs. Two turns worked out perfectly; now I can see road signs much better, although it's just peripheral lighting - they don't point high enough to bother other drivers, city or country, either. Glad I finally got around to doing that!

Last edited by CWS; 09-07-07 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add results of test-drive...
Old 09-12-07, 03:52 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Can someone take a pic over the Horizontal one, I can't seem to find it I look all around it and the manual but still can't find it. HELP!@!@! I need the horizontal one now I did my vertical 50 turns..
Old 09-12-07, 04:06 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

For those that are unsure of what they are doing, why are you doing it? I just took mine to the dealer and told them I think they're low. They determined it was via some actual machine and data, and adjusted it while I had a cup or three of coffee... no charge, and it's much better.

The problem with doing it yourself to your satisfaction is that you are very likely to make it too high, blinding oncoming traffic because we all wish we could see as if our high beams were on.
Old 09-12-07, 04:42 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
For those that are unsure of what they are doing, why are you doing it? I just took mine to the dealer and told them I think they're low. They determined it was via some actual machine and data, and adjusted it while I had a cup or three of coffee... no charge, and it's much better.

The problem with doing it yourself to your satisfaction is that you are very likely to make it too high, blinding oncoming traffic because we all wish we could see as if our high beams were on.
i can tell you quite simply that it would take a lot to even come close to blinding anyone. the easist way to tell is if you can drive a freeway at night alongside a concrete barrier to your left you will easily see the beam pattern following the wall from about midway down to the ground. i think untill you reach the point of your beams actually staying level along the wall or pointed above that your not getting too close to blinding people.

just make sure you adjust the horizontal adjuster as described above because the stock beam pattern should have 2 ^ ^ looking points at almost equal distance from the center to left and right. if you have AFS they should be easy to see moving as you turn.
mine are adjusted high enough that on a flat road it is difficult to see where the light stops and starts. meaning its hard to see the ^ ^ points on a flat road.

i guess to more clearly express my point, if your lights cutoff point can be seen on the road ahead of you there is no way in hell they are pointed even remotly close to the rearview mirror of any car or oncomming traffic.
Old 09-12-07, 04:58 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

alright well ive looked for 20 minutes and i really cant find where the hell this horizontal thing is :S

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment Success!