IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For those who have taken off your front wheels, how did you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 01:10 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default For those who have taken off your front wheels, how did you do it?

Okay, so I'm having issues taking off my front wheels on my IS350. The lugs come off but I think the wheel is rusted onto the rotor or hub. I tried kicking it, spraying WD-40 and PB Blaster, using a rubber mallet, and even loosening my lugs and driving through my ally. That all didn't work so I brought it into my Auto Tech class to take it off. My teacher said kicking it would be the best solution so he and people in my class did so but didn't work. My friend even asked his Weight Training teacher to come and help. He attempted to pull the wheel off, almost pulled my car off the floor jack and turned my steering wheel from pulling my wheel at an angle! It still didn't work and my teacher said it may be stuck on mechanically somehow since the rears easily come off but the front doesn't while the hubs are sized differently. My next class started so I ran out of time to try anything else.

So for those who took off your front IS350 wheels for any reason, is it simply taking off the lugs and pulling the wheel off or no? It's too hard to believe rust can be that stubborn.
Old 03-05-11, 01:16 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

I have never had an issue like that with my 2IS.

I'd take it to the Lexus dealership and ask them "WTH?"
Old 03-05-11, 01:27 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed!!
Old 03-05-11, 01:29 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes taking the lugs off the wheel should come off. Could possibly seized to the rotor. Take it to the lexus dealership or any tire place and get a tire rotation. The $20 it costs you is worth the stress and hassle you been dealing with. They will get it off. It happens, not often but it can happen.
Old 03-05-11, 01:33 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
Yes taking the lugs off the wheel should come off. Could possibly seized to the rotor. Take it to the lexus dealership or any tire place and get a tire rotation. The $20 it costs you is worth the stress and hassle you been dealing with. They will get it off. It happens, not often but it can happen.
Sadly, I can't rotate my tires. They are staggered and my Blizzaks have one direction rotation. I don't want to get new tires either since I'm upgrading to 19" LC818's sometime when I start college.
Old 03-05-11, 01:43 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
I have never had an issue like that with my 2IS.

I'd take it to the Lexus dealership and ask them "WTH?"
^ This
Old 03-05-11, 03:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say try to give it a good controlled kicks on the tire and it would eventually would break loose from what is keeping the tire from comming off.

A group of us people came ot help out friend of ours since her tires couldn't come off tried shaking, pulling then eventually came to just kicking it then it started to move - a few more kicks then it came off.

Last edited by Sango; 03-05-11 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 03:55 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
X2 on this! And if you try to take it off using more harsh methods yourself you'll probably end up damaging the wheel in some way.
Old 03-05-11, 05:25 PM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

My friend had a flat one time and we tried to change the tire out and had the same problem of gettin the tire off cuz it was stuck to the rotor... we used the other tire and hit it against the tire with a controlled amount of force ... and it came loose.... obviously the best approach would be to go to the dealer/shop, but im just suggesting something that i've experienced that worked.... just be careful if you end up doing this.....
Old 03-05-11, 05:30 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Hmm, RWD that makes it harder to get the rotation.....

Thinking......
Old 03-05-11, 05:35 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chi123
Okay, so I'm having issues taking off my front wheels on my IS350. The lugs come off but I think the wheel is rusted onto the rotor or hub. I tried kicking it, spraying WD-40 and PB Blaster, using a rubber mallet, and even loosening my lugs and driving through my ally. That all didn't work so I brought it into my Auto Tech class to take it off. My teacher said kicking it would be the best solution so he and people in my class did so but didn't work. My friend even asked his Weight Training teacher to come and help. He attempted to pull the wheel off, almost pulled my car off the floor jack and turned my steering wheel from pulling my wheel at an angle! It still didn't work and my teacher said it may be stuck on mechanically somehow since the rears easily come off but the front doesn't while the hubs are sized differently. My next class started so I ran out of time to try anything else.

So for those who took off your front IS350 wheels for any reason, is it simply taking off the lugs and pulling the wheel off or no? It's too hard to believe rust can be that stubborn.
pshhh. get a guy that knows muay thai and he can kick it off....
Old 03-05-11, 05:39 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I'm amazed no one has used the easiest method, but be careful, lower the car a small small amount with lugs off and let the weight of the vehicle break the bond free. When I mean lower the car lower is very very small amount. this was a method i was told by a very wealthy exotic car mechanic.
Old 03-05-11, 05:55 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

he already tried to loosening the lugs and driving a bit..
Old 03-05-11, 05:56 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Your not kicking hard enough. I had issues like this all the time when I was working in the shop.

Had the car on the hoist and drop it a bit, Raised my Power Level up to over 9000, Got under the car and gave it one super kick.

Remember to leave 1 lug on it. I had a tire fly into another car one time.
Old 03-05-11, 07:12 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redline.gT
Your not kicking hard enough. I had issues like this all the time when I was working in the shop.

Had the car on the hoist and drop it a bit, Raised my Power Level up to over 9000, Got under the car and gave it one super kick.

Remember to leave 1 lug on it. I had a tire fly into another car one time.
Haha that's hilarious!

Quick Reply: For those who have taken off your front wheels, how did you do it?