IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 09:16 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to Ben the General Sales Manager at Longo and he said its okay they wont do it if I dont want to. WTF?? Elise Fong the girl I have been working with said its required for them to do it and that I cant sign a release form for them not to install it.

I left her a voice mail this morning. I really hope my car is still at the port cuz if my car is at Longo it might be to late.
Old 12-14-06, 09:22 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

ya you should definetly threaten to not take delivery of the car.. tell them you'd rather go to a lexus that lets you choose whether or not you want it.. tell her that it'll cost you an extra $400 to have the bumper sanded down and repainted to cover it up and you dont wantthat so you'd rather go buy elsewhere
Old 12-14-06, 09:43 AM
Soda
Pole Position

When I bought my car from Fresno Lexus it was in the showroom and they never put a plate on it or drilled in the bumper, never signed anything either. Same for my S2000, but it has pre-drilled holes w/plugs but still they never installed a plate. I've gotten a few fix it tickets, I put the plate on w/double sided tape, go down the road, they sign it off and take it off when I get home. They're 10.00 but I don't like the look of a front plate. Or if it's the S I just use the existing holes. (they actually have screw things in them).
Old 12-14-06, 10:01 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in response to some of the above posts, it really is a shame the way lexus does it w/ the drilled holes.

as a consumer you should have the option of installing the plate yourself in a manner that doesn't do permanent damage to the front end. whether that means using double sided tape or inventing a custom bracket that fastens to the car underneath, it should be your choice. what if you sell the car to someone later that doesn't require a front plate and they say WTF i hate those holes... and by the way, for those of you who haven't seen the holes after removing the bracket - they aren't just clean holes, the screw threads and the bolts attaching the bracket cause a pucker in the bumper as well.

O/T - we had an 01 Honda Accord Coupe that had a front plate bracket that was fastened to the car from underneath so that no permanent holes would be drilled. we gave that car to my in laws in PA and took off the thing (no plate required in front) and it looked nice and clean underneath. the Audi comes with plate-required vs. plate-not-required fill plates that are interchangeable depending on the state you live in. Lexus really needs to get on the ball and come up with a better solution to attaching front plates. ever since my first lexus in 98, it's always been drill and attach.
Old 12-14-06, 10:40 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

my old car was delivered without holes. i hate those ugly holes.
Old 12-14-06, 11:01 AM
trant01
Rookie

i'm actually going back to longo this weekend because the plate holders they put on put scratches and other dents on my front bumper. they said thats "typically" happens when they put on the front plate. i think its bs.
Old 12-14-06, 11:05 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

I told my sales rep at Longo not to put the front plate. He said they "Typically" will put the plate on right when they unload the cars off the truck. He said he would be there to insure that they do not put a plate on the car I ordered... In the end, no holes, no front plate. Surprisingly, the rep I worked with got the exact car, exact option, and no front plate that I asked for.

Maybe each rep is different with their policies... they can either help you out and go the extra mile or not.
Old 12-14-06, 11:09 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

Btw, I did sign something stating that I did not want the front plate on.. etc etc and that I didn't hold Longo responsible..etc etc. No biggy, I still don't want a front plate on the car.

Guess the car is still relatively "new" looking, most cops will not hassle with stopping you over for no front plate anyhows. If you go to LAX, I'd suggest using double stick tape and drive through that way... they checked cars the last time I was there at the checkpoint. Especially during the holiday season, double stick tape is your friend.
Old 12-14-06, 11:27 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
double stick tape is your friend.
Yeah. Just make sure that you got it on there pretty good. The last thing you want is for it to fall off at speed...
Old 12-14-06, 11:44 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Amazing, this thread is already 4+ pgs long . . .
To the OP, here's a dose of reality, are you really going to refuse delivery on a brand new car that is equipped exactly the way you want over a front license plate bracket ? True others may have taken delivery of their new IS in CA w/out the bracket, but is it really a deal breaker ? FWIW, I bought my IS from Longo, yes it had the bracket attached, but so did EVERY new car in their underground inventory, so I know it was SOP. I simply took the bracket off, put bumper plugs in the holes, and now drive w/out front plates - simple, painless, life goes on, no drama. If you're like most people, you'll probably get another new car in 3-4 yrs, so when you sell or trade in your IS, how will you handle the front plate issue ? Legally, you will be on the hook for not having a front plate mounted and the new owner can come after you for the consequences . . .
Old 12-14-06, 12:44 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
Amazing, this thread is already 4+ pgs long . . .
To the OP, here's a dose of reality, are you really going to refuse delivery on a brand new car that is equipped exactly the way you want over a front license plate bracket ? True others may have taken delivery of their new IS in CA w/out the bracket, but is it really a deal breaker ? FWIW, I bought my IS from Longo, yes it had the bracket attached, but so did EVERY new car in their underground inventory, so I know it was SOP. I simply took the bracket off, put bumper plugs in the holes, and now drive w/out front plates - simple, painless, life goes on, no drama. If you're like most people, you'll probably get another new car in 3-4 yrs, so when you sell or trade in your IS, how will you handle the front plate issue ? Legally, you will be on the hook for not having a front plate mounted and the new owner can come after you for the consequences . . .
I've never had front plates on any car I've owned. Never had an issue with resale either.

A friend of mine just purchased an IS250, he specifically told the dealer not to put the brackets on, but they did anyway. He called the manager of the dealer and complained, the dealer said they would pay for 50% of the bumper replacement. He called Lexus Corporate and complained, the dealer is now replacing the bumper free of charge.

All this over a couple little holes....
Old 12-14-06, 01:31 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

in washington... the front plate is usually all that cops pull people over for =( no modifications, no tint, no exhaust.. just front plates and the fine is not a fixit ticket anymore and its now a real traffic violation ticket of at least $200... i guess the front plate isnt TOO bad...? =)

hope u got ur car the way u wanted though <3
Old 12-14-06, 02:10 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Good news: my car is still at the port so she has time to notify the techs not to drill the holes.

Bad news: She said she will try her best for them not to do it but there is a 10% chance they might do it anyway because she cant be at the dealership at 7am when they do the prep work.

Yes I will refuse the car if they drill holes in the bumper. This is such a simple request and it just amazes me why they are making a big deal with it. I'm paying $30k+ on a new car and I want it to be perfect. If they do drill holes in the bumper then i'm NEVER doing business or recommending Longo again.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 12-14-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-14-06, 02:27 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

That's bullcrap. I showed up at 6:45 am the day I sold rominl his car. That's my handwriting on the painters tape I stuck on there to prevent drilling. Then I went out to breakfast and waited for rominl to show up:

Old 12-14-06, 02:33 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really care, you will go there yourself... at 7AM... That's the only way to make 100% sure they don't drill...

"If you want something done right, do it yourself..."

Quick Reply: Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????