IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 08:10 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just emailed her.. tried to call her but she already left.

She better agree.
Old 12-13-06, 08:13 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I just emailed her.. tried to call her but she already left.

She better agree.
Call the sales manager on duty tonight - like right now before 9 pm when they close. If they don't catch your car before 7 am when techs come in you're screwed, literally!
Good luck.
Old 12-13-06, 08:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You need a sort of contract...

There is a way, but you have sign a contract stating that you will (a) put a license plate on by yourself and (b) release liability of any such action from the dealership.

Where to find that legally-binding contract? I don't know. I've seen it, but it may differ depending on the dealership and the amount of lawyers they have on their *****...
Old 12-13-06, 08:27 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Each dealership has their own version. I signed one at Glendale.

FYI, the reason dealers crack down is because when I worked for a large unnamed dealer, whom I now refer to as the "slave ship", a customer tried to sue the dealer. From the gossip I heard trickle down was that the lawsuit got ugly. Prior to that we had never put front plates on and afterwards because of that stupid one person the GM ordered plates on EVERY car. Us salespeople were pissed cos it was a huge PITA for us to stop the techs. I didnt mind too much as I'm a car fan but some salespeople did use the "I'm required by law" schtick due to laziness.
Old 12-13-06, 08:32 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Call the sales manager on duty tonight - like right now before 9 pm when they close. If they don't catch your car before 7 am when techs come in you're screwed, literally!
Good luck.
Car is still at the Port so I still have some time. Should be at the dealer tomorrow.

I tried to call the General Manager right now and he already left its 8:30pm here right now.

I really hope they do this.. Can anyone find me the required form so maybe I can fax it over tomorrow for them not to drill holes in my bumper??

If they do drill holes I'll probably NOT take delivery and never get my IS. Been waiting since 10/05 to get one.
Old 12-13-06, 08:34 PM
The Chad
Driver

Front license plate brackets can scratch the paint, even if the holes are pre-drilled for the bracket and the car comes with plugs (I have an S2000).

I don't see why they would just drill into the car without consulting the owner first? I mean I understand that it's a law, but the law is that the owner must have a front plate, not the dealer install the bracket. I would think the dealer would just include the bracket, offer to install it, and if not oh well.

When I took delivery of my S, I just said "please don't install the bracket, and don't let anyone drive the car except for you to fill it with gas and the 4-5 miles for the PDI." Dude knew where I was coming from, and even though it was an "odd" request for him, it was no problem.
Old 12-13-06, 08:34 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Can anyone find me the required form so maybe I can fax it over tomorrow for them not to drill holes in my bumper??
Old 12-13-06, 08:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone find me the required form so maybe I can fax it over tomorrow for them not to drill holes in my bumper??
You have to get in touch with Longo (and get in touch with the Toyota and Scion sides as well).

They'll have their own form that was written by Longo lawyers.
Old 12-13-06, 09:00 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You have to get in touch with Longo (and get in touch with the Toyota and Scion sides as well).

They'll have their own form that was written by Longo lawyers.
I asked Elise Fong the person that im working with she said they dont have such form and all cars are required a front license plate installation by the dealer per their guidelines.

Tomorrow im getting to the bottom of this. Cuz this is bull. Shouldnt be this difficult for them not to drill holes in the front bumper.
Old 12-13-06, 09:12 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, longo sucks. they lost a deal from me on the SC430 b/c of this exact issue and their horrible salesman's attitude about it. i just said screw you and went to glendale instead.

if they are too lazy to write up a release for you, and you really don't want the holes, you can refuse delivery. we don't have front plates on the GS or Audi and all the dealers required was a release form signed.
Old 12-13-06, 09:12 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I live in CA and I signed a liabilty release at close of deal. No front plate for me.

Old 12-13-06, 09:51 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I got mine from Lexus of Westminster and asked them not to drill for the plates. They said no problem, but had me sign a waiver.
Old 12-13-06, 10:00 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
Call the sales manager on duty tonight - like right now before 9 pm when they close.
Car is still at the Port so I still have some time. Should be at the dealer tomorrow.
I tried to call the General Manager right now and he already left its 8:30pm here right now.
Not the General Manager, a SALES manager who closes the store at 9 pm. If your car is supposed to come in tomorrow, it means it will arrive at midnight tonight. Techs come in at 7 am to do pre delivery inspection AND drill holes.

Like Philip said each dealer has their own legal version and don't ask me how I know this but I know for a FACT Longo does indeed have this form.
Unfortunately you won't catch it unless Elise comes in at 7 am to stop the techs.

The main problem right now is catching the techs, form can come later. Even if you got a form tonight it won't stop them from drilling holes in the morning.

It's too late now, sorry man.
Old 12-13-06, 10:36 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

You have not signed a contract yet? Don't buy the car! That will show them how serious you are about the holes.
Old 12-13-06, 10:47 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh my god I didnt know that getting the car without the front license plate were
such a problem I think I just got lucky becuase when I picked my car in mission viejo lexus, I didnt notice until I got home that my car didnt have any holes and no front license plate, and I didnt sign any papers regarding not having the license plate

Quick Reply: Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????