IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official Hijack your Rear Camera Input HOW TO DIY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 05:00 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow seem like everything is scattered. post the progress back in the other thread.
Old 12-03-06, 10:27 PM
sepukku
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yoonatic
Well, this is a page from the ISX50 ML DVD changer service manual.
It shows you what the back of the DVD changer looks like.
I've also done quite a bit of study to DIY an external video input, so here's how far I've come...

The bottom middle connector (8 pins) is where the DVD image signal is sent to the Display Monitor. Of course, it only uses pin#'s 7,5,3 only to send DVD image signal, as you can see in the repair manual. But if you look at the connector pin#'s 8,6,4,2 , they are not used, while they're described as "NTS1, GND1, SLD1", which hints that there's an extra output from this DVD changer.
THen where does the input come from?
If you look at the bottom left connector (it looks exactly same as the connector P52 on Display Monitor), it is used for the audio AUX in, unlike the Non-ML CD-changer.
What's more, since ISX50 provides audio AUX IN only, it just uses Pin#'s 2,3,5,6, leaving 1 & 2 out.
1 & 2 are described as "VV+ & VV-". This is reserved for some kind of external video input. So I did hook up an external video source to it, but nothing happend.

From reading your threads and replies, I've come to one possible conculsion.
Yes, the back-up camera hijack works but you know it's still a hack.
What I need to figure out is how to trigger the AVC-LAN so that it opens up the monitor for external composite video connection.
Sorry I'm not an electro wiz, so maybe someone can read the schematics on this DVD-changer manual and find a solution for it.
If you guys want it i can scan the DVD changer service manual and upload it.
I'm sure it does have enough resource to get this thing going!

ciao for now
it would be nice if i could get the diagram ro the back of the nav screen.
looks liek the diagram that you posted is only for the back of the receiver part.

post a pic of the diagram for the back of the nav screen also please.

ans that is what i am working on right now.
once i have all this info i think i will have enough to figure out how to trigger the screen to come up for our own input into the j52 connector.
Old 12-04-06, 11:06 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

i posted this thread audio/electronics section of the forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251771) but anyone have an idea of where to get a dc/dc converter for the slim ps2 (8.5v) and OEM looking switches?

i have a ps2 ready to go!
Old 02-01-07, 07:21 AM
iexpress
Pole Position

hmm im still a little confused with this installation. Audio does work ? and are u able to see the backup-cam ? can u switch off the hack when not in use?
Old 02-01-07, 08:13 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iexpress
hmm im still a little confused with this installation. Audio does work ? and are u able to see the backup-cam ? can u switch off the hack when not in use?
i thought this thread was to hack the backup camera? yes you can see the backup camera. the logic is to hook it up to a relay and a button/switch (that can be placed next to trunk/fuel door for example) so you can turn it on and off at will.
Old 02-01-07, 09:25 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This hack must be for the iPod generation who continusly have their eyes glued to their cell phones and MP3 players. What is the sense of watching your backside through a distorted image on the Nav screen when you can see the REAL DEAL in true color, with the proper distance perspective, just by glancing into the rearview mirror and the two side mirrors???? Other than the novelty sake this looks like an answer to a question nobody asked.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-01-07 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 10:13 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This hack must be for the iPod generation who continusly have their eyes glued to their cell phones and MP3 players. What is the sense of watching your backside through a distorted image on the Nav screen when you can see the REAL DEAL in true color, with the proper distance perspective, just by glancing into the rearview mirror and the two side mirrors???? Other than the novelty sake this looks an answer to a question nobody asked.
i asked it to myself and figured its not worth it cause the vents are a PITA to remove to take the HU out. not really much of a need for it. but i figure, if i ever take out the HU again, i might do this hack just for the heck of it.
Old 02-01-07, 11:22 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

there is no point of looking at the backup camera while driving, it's actually hard to see since its meant more for up close things then things far away.

but the whole point of this mod is first to be able to activate the rear camera and then tap into the rear camera feed and input another video feed. so with this mod you can hook up a video input source and watch it whenever you want.

regarding audio you have to use your aux input. right now when you're in reverse you can still listen to the radio, cd, aux. so with this mod you activate the rear camera, activate your video input, select aux as the audio and you can be driving and watching a dvd or have passengers play ps2

i have two switches, when both are off everything works like it's stock. one switch is to activate the rear camera while driving and the other switch is to switch between ps2 or rear camera video feed.
Old 02-01-07, 12:42 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by teejnut
there is no point of looking at the backup camera while driving, it's actually hard to see since its meant more for up close things then things far away.

but the whole point of this mod is first to be able to activate the rear camera and then tap into the rear camera feed and input another video feed. so with this mod you can hook up a video input source and watch it whenever you want.

regarding audio you have to use your aux input. right now when you're in reverse you can still listen to the radio, cd, aux. so with this mod you activate the rear camera, activate your video input, select aux as the audio and you can be driving and watching a dvd or have passengers play ps2

i have two switches, when both are off everything works like it's stock. one switch is to activate the rear camera while driving and the other switch is to switch between ps2 or rear camera video feed.

When u activate this. Doesn't the "check surrounding" thing pop up. If so, how could you disable that?
Old 02-01-07, 02:56 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by danger4o5
When u activate this. Doesn't the "check surrounding" thing pop up. If so, how could you disable that?
it doesn't "pop up" it just seems to be embedded in the screen when it thinks its the rear camera feed. no one has found a way to get rid of it. i don't think it's that annoying and you'll just get use to it.

Old 02-02-07, 08:44 AM
HotrodRob
Driver School Candidate

what does hijacking the camera mean?
Old 02-02-07, 04:25 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

teejnut- can you post exactally what YOU did to do the ps2 hack? I want to attempt this tonight but theres not really a diagram for how to actually plug the ps2 in, etc. thanks
Old 02-03-07, 05:20 AM
Tuxlex
Driver

The only problem with hi-jacking this input is that the navigation
unit will be confused. When you are watching video through
the camera input and moving at the same time, the navigation
unit will try to do dead reconing in reverse between GPS readings.
It will take the navigation unit several seconds after you stop
using this input to realize that you are not traveling in reverse.
Untill then you will find yourself traveling in fields.

There is a fix for this problem, but it involves cutting another
wire to bypass the real reverse signal that goes through the
multidisplay unit and pass it on directly to the navigation unit.
Old 02-03-07, 09:18 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Tuxlex- you're saying the navigation thinks you're going backwards when the rear camera is activated? i never noticed this but i'll take a look when i take my car out.
Old 02-03-07, 01:43 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

does it register where you are as soon as you flip the switch to revert back to stock? what about if you drove 500 miles watching tv and then when you got to your desitination you went back to navigation, would it find where you are through gps?

Quick Reply: Official Hijack your Rear Camera Input HOW TO DIY!!!