IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Test Drove the New IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 05:38 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Test Drove the New IS 350

Have not posted here in a while. Could really use some help. I finally got around to testing the new IS 350 at JM Lexus a while ago. (Had not tested the car when it first appeared cause I was not really ready to buy yet) I'm now ready to purchase a new vehicle but have a slight problem.

I really enjoyed test driving the new IS350, I have been watching it since it first appeared here on the web and have read so many article and posters experience that I finally know what it is like to drive it.

First off JM Lexus is one great dealer, very friendly and very professional, make you feel like you are very important and really care about you and getting what YOU want. That is important. I got to play around with the Nav system which I was REALLY impressed with, I have never owned a NAV so I knew little about it but it seemed so "user friendly" and I could see myself really enjoying it. My test car did not have ML but it was an option I really must have, so I got a chance to listen to one in the showroom and I was really impressed for myself an audiophile it is a must have option.

The drive was great it felt controlled and actually felt good in the curves something that kinda suprised me cause I thought it would have more body roll but it was actually quite fun to take it fast in the curves. I could really hear the engine more than my SC. Since my SC has the older LS V8 engine, it is butter smooth and quite. The IS was a nice sporty change.

So here is my problem, the rear seating is pretty tight. I do have passangers travel with me from time to time so I will use the rear seats somewhat, my father went with me that day cause he wanted to see what was new in the showroom, so he sat in back, he is 6'0 and he mentioned how it was not really comfortable with rear leg room, so this has me concerned, I sat back then but not while driving and it was kinda small but I would be driving mostly so.

I thought then I would check out the new GS but I don't like the thin steering wheel and don't like wood on steering wheel too much, the IS has a nice thicker wheel and felt really good. The GS is nicer inside leather and feels roomier but wasn't sporty like the IS not sure I could live with the GS wood thinner wheel.

I don't know what to do. I thought about BMW but I really want a Nav and their Nav is not that good comparted to Lexus. Ive heard from other BMW owner of the current Nav that their is lag time and slow processor and then idrive is love or hate it. I like the touchscreen of the Lexus.

I also though about the new G35 sedan but saw a 40 min video from an owner of a G35 website that tested the car with saleman in video inside car and he said there were too many rattles and fit and finish was not up to par.

I'm sorta stuck about what to do. May test the Mercedes 350 sport sedan but I heard their Nav is behind times just like BMW.

Still not ruling out the new IS since there is alot I like about it except the rear legroom and space. Would appreciate your opinions.

Last edited by Xanadu350; 11-13-06 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 05:57 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you have to weigh how much you really need a backseat. I looked at the G35, BMW 330i and the IS350. The IS350 rear seat is tight but it is usable. I have a family of 5 and I have got two of my kids in the back with carseats with no problems. I am 6'4 220lbs and rode in tha back with no problem on our test drive.

Personally I would not let a passenger based "complaint" rule out a car. The car is (I assume) for you to drive. A passenger must deal with the means of transportation you provide. Unless you are in a business where the rear seat is a must (realtor..etc) then in my opinion this should not really be part of your decision. If you need it it is there...may not be comfortable (I think it is) but beggers can not be choosers in my opinion.

The IS350 is one heck of a car. Maybe not as nimble as the BMW but for the average user it is more than you will ever need. Add to that the silky smooth yet powerfull V6 and all of that luxury and you have a combination you just cannot beat.

I would go and drive an IS350 again but this time without anyone else or if you do go with someone make them drive and you ride in the back if you have not done so yet.

In the end the choice is yours but driving anything else will push you right back to the IS350. That I can assure you! Good luck!
Old 11-13-06, 06:21 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with Crazy Yoda, unless you absolutely, positively need a backseat your first concern is yourself. Many people complain about the back seat, but this is a sports sedan and frankly, I'd rather have the extra space up front where I'm seated. Only you can answer how important the back seat is to you. To me it's insignificant as I don't tote people in the back, but maybe you do. If you need the back seat then you may have to reconsider.

I was out on Sunday prowling around the car lots. I was looking at the new G35's and frankly the overall design did nothing for me. Looks too much like the old one (can't blame Infiniti, they don't want to goof up a good thing), but I still thought the inside was several cuts below the IS. It still looks cheap.

I also stopped at an Acura dealer and was looking at the new TL Type S. Nicely done with a sharp looking interior. Loaded up it's less than $40k. It is a front wheel drive car, but a well done one. I'd prefer to have the 286 hp TL than the G35. Just a thought.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-13-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 07:35 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

My vote is for the IS350. Good bang for your bucks.

I visited a local Infiniti here over the weekend and I can get a 06 G35 fully loaded w/MSRP at ~41xxx. I approached them with a lease deal of $398.xx/month for 12 months w/$2500 down and ~31K residual and my friend ended up with the car at that deal.
Old 11-13-06, 07:38 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Seems like your in a tight bind.

Just buy what you TRULY want. Not if someone is going to be comfortable.

Try and picture this: Lets say you bought a car other than the IS. Are you going to wish you bought something else? If your driving and thinking to yourself, "I really wish I had bought the IS." Then you made the wrong choice.

Unless you absolutely need ample room in the backseat, I think you should get what you really what.

A new car is meant to be enjoyed, not spent on regretful thinking.
Old 11-13-06, 09:58 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both the GS350 and IS350, I have to agree with you that I don't like the GS350 steering wheel either, it feels like my mom's ES lol. I don't know if you have test drive the GS yet but keep in mind the car feels slow but it really not. For some reasons the GS feels very slow and the handling on the GS nowhere close to the IS. I ran the GS a couple of weeks ago and it did a 14.1 effortless with the stock 225 tires. One thing I don't like about the GS is that the trunk is pretty small consider the size of that car, you can't really fit much in there.