IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cooling Seats, Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 06:46 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling Seats, Any good?

I test Drive the IS300 a week ago, and the cooling seats werent that good, couldnt feel that its cooling, maybe I was in hurry, so is it useful, does it really cool?

thanks, im curious
Old 10-28-06, 07:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Do a search, this topic has been covered pretty comprehensively.

Some people love them, but I'm in the camp that has found them absolutely worthless, even with the A/C directed to the floor vents.
Old 10-28-06, 07:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If you're running a 103F fever, they feel good. Otherwise I'm with Bichon. Pretty useless.
Old 10-28-06, 07:51 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default They are NOT cooling seats, they are ventilated seats ....

A common misperception is that these seats cool the air before blowing it through the holes. They don't. All they do is blow the same air temp that is in the cabin, so you won't feel a great temperature difference. The usefulness of them depends on where you live. This August, in Texas, they were a useful feature when I drove when the outside temp was a humid 97 deg. Wearing shorts the seats provided a nice flow of air that I could feel. And it kept one from getting clammy, especially on the back.

In the winter they will specifically HEAT the air and that is why they seem more useful in the winter; you can actually feel the difference in temp between seat and cabin.
Old 10-28-06, 08:04 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that the most out of my IS features... I think it is a good feature after all you could feel it when you wearing Jeans or cottons pants! Cool!! Even my female friend feel it too!! Hahaha
Old 10-28-06, 01:10 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoever the hell said you could not feel the cold air is on crack!!

I live in Houston where most of the year the temperature is above 85 degress, not only are the seats AIR cooled meaning colder air does blow through them even when the air in the car is not, they keep your back and butt cold. My only complaint is that they only blow air through the top of the back of the seat and the part closest to your knees on the bottom of the seat. I wish it blew cold air throughout the entire seat but it still works VERY well!! When I drive my dads suburban I sweat like a pig in the heat and in my car I have yet to have a drip of sweat on my back!! It was one of the biggest reason for choosing this car over the G35/325i

So in my opinion its AMAZING especially for entry-lux class!
Old 10-28-06, 03:24 PM
Wish
Pole Position

I thought there is only a heating seats.. but yet it's can only tell by ppl who lives in humid/hot areas
Old 10-28-06, 04:09 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

The big question is has anybody looked into replacing the fan? If the fan blew harder it'd be more worthwhile!
Old 10-28-06, 06:41 PM
BlueOnyx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I find this one of the best features. In particular, it is an excellent feature to stop the air conditioning wars with your passenger. Although the car has dual climate control, on a long trip the cabin temperature tends to equalize. With heated and cooled seats, I find that the driver and passenger can be comfortable at different temperatures.
Old 10-28-06, 06:47 PM
Jatt
Driver

Hi guys,

It also depends on the material your wearing, you will most likely not feel any difference at all if you wearing jeans/denim vs something lighter, I notice when I'm in my dress pants I can really feel it, and when I'm in my sweats I could never tell.
Old 10-28-06, 07:47 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

I agree, wearing jeans negates any feeling. However, if you are resting the left leg so that there is a gap between the seat and your leg, you can feel the air. I think the problem is that when you're sitting on the seat, your *** and legs block the holes. The effect is strong when you're close to the seat and not blocking the holes.

Now, I think this feature is best suited for when your back or legs are a bit sweaty in warm weather. It really does dry your shirt a bit.
Old 10-28-06, 07:51 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jatt
Hi guys,

It also depends on the material your wearing, you will most likely not feel any difference at all if you wearing jeans/denim vs something lighter, I notice when I'm in my dress pants I can really feel it, and when I'm in my sweats I could never tell.
I agree. Here in HI about all I wear is light weight shorts and tank tops. I can really feel the cool air.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 10-29-06, 09:43 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The air coming through my seats feels very cold, much more than the static air in the car. Takes about five minutes before I can feel it even through my jeans....
I leave the control set on 0 unless I need it.
Old 10-29-06, 10:04 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I love the VENTILLATED seats, they are not COOLED seats. It is physically impossible for the air to be cooler than the cabin temps, there is no cooling element in the seats. They work best with the AC on and cool cabin temps. If you're wearing denim you likely will not feel them, or won't feel them do much. If you're wearing shorts, slacks or pretty much any thinner material then you can definatly feel them working. They work nice when you're wearing a thin button up shirt so that you dont sweat through it!
Old 10-29-06, 10:13 PM
SupraTico
Driver School Candidate

I used mine tonight for the first time purposely since I just picked up the car yesterday.. Driving back home from the girl's house I opened all 4 windows and the moon roof and it was kinda chilly out.. turned up the heater and the heater on the seats and I was VERY PLEASANTLY toasty in no time..

I'm falling in love with this car already!

Quick Reply: Cooling Seats, Any good?