IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

08 IS350 transmission issue TechStream?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 09:15 AM
edgar23cb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 IS350 transmission issue TechStream?

Does anyone know if techstream would be able to tell me what the issue is? It won't go into drive but will go into reverse I've been to general mechanic about it but he didn't even bother checking it out he just stated that it needed a new transmission and that he would need to take it to a Lexus dealership to have the transmission program to the car which i don't think that is true according to some people how have changed the transmission on their own. I've been told it might need the solenoid replaced? I'm just wondering if techstream would be able to tell me if it's the transmission or the solenoid being the issue, thanks.
Old 03-07-22, 02:35 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by edgar23cb
Does anyone know if techstream would be able to tell me what the issue is? It won't go into drive but will go into reverse I've been to general mechanic about it but he didn't even bother checking it out he just stated that it needed a new transmission and that he would need to take it to a Lexus dealership to have the transmission program to the car which i don't think that is true according to some people how have changed the transmission on their own. I've been told it might need the solenoid replaced? I'm just wondering if techstream would be able to tell me if it's the transmission or the solenoid being the issue, thanks.
I don't have time for proper answer. Techstream will tell you what the transmission was requested to do and failed at. It knows as it knows the turbine input speed and the driveline output speed.

In short, if drive is selected it engages clutches and bands through the solenoids that select 1st gear. If the solenoids fail for short circuit or open circuit, there is hope of fixing the trans with a part replacement.

Under normal circumstances, the TCU tells the solenoids to do an action and input speed is compared to the output speed and the TCU knows you are rolling in 1st gear. It knows the ratio of the gears.

If it does not detect a speed variance like 1st gear, the TCU throws a code pointing at the solenoids responsible for carrying out the last command issued.

Now you test the solenoids, clutch packs, drum bands, pistons, and check *****, as well as slip rings that could have oil leaks and find which failed if not a combination of many.

So, the solenoid is only the messenger and is not always at fault.

What year, how many miles, was it ever serviced, and what does the fluid look like now?
Old 03-07-22, 02:36 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I don't have time for proper answer. Techstream will tell you what the transmission was requested to do and failed at. It knows as it knows the turbine input speed and the driveline output speed.

In short, if drive is selected it engages clutches and bands through the solenoids that select 1st gear. If the solenoids fail for short circuit or open circuit, there is hope of fixing the trans with a part replacement.

Under normal circumstances, the TCU tells the solenoids to do an action and input speed is compared to the output speed and the TCU knows you are rolling in 1st gear. It knows the ratio of the gears.

If it does not detect a speed variance like 1st gear, the TCU throws a code pointing at the solenoids responsible for carrying out the last command issued.

Now you test the solenoids, clutch packs, drum bands, pistons, and check *****, as well as slip rings that could have oil leaks and find which failed if not a combination of many.

So, the solenoid is only the messenger and is not always at fault.

What year, how many miles, was it ever serviced, and what does the fluid look like now?
#JJD952 #Transmission