IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-16, 06:58 AM
hawaz123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello to all any one knows about extended cranck on an 08 gs 350 i cannot figer this out some are saying to do the tsb sb-0009-08 i took the car to the dealer and they performed the ecu calibration and it still does it long cranck any idea please
Old 05-23-17, 04:54 PM
tlaninga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cranking/startup noise

'93 ls400 only 90k miles
Same issue, about every 10th time I start up I get that startup noise sounds like metal on metal clanking sound. So far I've put in a new timing belt, crank shaft sensor, and new starter.
Currently I have 5-30 synthetic mobil oil, the oil dipstick shows its full, I just put in more. I think the next thing I'm going to try is 5-20 regular oil.

Any advice or ideas would be helpful...
Old 07-09-17, 10:22 PM
agracee
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 cranks but doesn't start.

would anyone be able to tell me what's wrong with my is250 2009?

i was driving on a freeway and as I was going the car suddenly turned off, I've checked the fuel pump it working fine, it cranks but won't start
Old 08-01-17, 11:26 PM
delirium
Rookie

Has anyone in the Bay Area, Northern California gotten the dealer to fix the cam gear TSB? My 2012 IS250 has developed the rattling/grinding noise at startup & it seems like its a hit or miss when going to the dealer to get it fixed. I'd really appreciate it if you can help point me in the path of least resistance before my warranty is up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-18, 12:54 PM
markdav801
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boss22
Told ya
You going to see how better and smoother will motor run on Castrol!
Change it every 5k or 6k miles along with Oem oil filter. Why 5k? Just in the case. Castrol is cheap though.
I just used Castrol Edge High Mileage and still heard the rattle
I do have 92kmi on my IS250.
Old 02-05-18, 08:51 PM
arafas
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2008 is250 manual 160k miles starting to rattle pretty bad, i used to get only rattling when would sit overnight, now almost every few hours when the car is parked after a few hours noise. Oil is normal level going to change the oil see if that helps, but I am thinking of taking the car apart and changing the cam gears. #notafraid
Old 02-07-18, 01:07 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by arafas
2008 is250 manual 160k miles starting to rattle pretty bad, i used to get only rattling when would sit overnight, now almost every few hours when the car is parked after a few hours noise. Oil is normal level going to change the oil see if that helps, but I am thinking of taking the car apart and changing the cam gears. #notafraid
What oil specifically do you use. I found that my Mobil 1 full syn nearing the end of my 10k change intervals is when my cam rattle started to happen BEFORE the recall had them replaced.
Old 02-07-18, 01:14 PM
arafas
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
What oil specifically do you use. I found that my Mobil 1 full syn nearing the end of my 10k change intervals is when my cam rattle started to happen BEFORE the recall had them replaced.
I change mine every 5k miles with cast roil synthetic, but you are correct happens more often at the end of the 5k miles. Going to try amsoil see what happens.
Old 04-03-18, 09:40 PM
Crazybrit
Rookie

Default Engine noise when cold atarting

Hello to all I just bought a 2007 ES350 with 120,000 miles on it one cold snowy morning I noticed very brief engine noise on start up I’ve been reading lots of posts with this problem what I can tell you all is oil is a big factor make sure your using the correct grade oil Mobil one oil and filter is the best choise my wife had a 2006 avalon (same engine) we use the same oil over never heard hers car do that and her car runs on regular fuel funny how they rate the avalon 168 hp and the ES350 172 hp I’m running mine on regular and the car has lot of power and runs great however I don’t belive our cars should make that sound on cold starts so my next step is an engine flush and fresh Mobil one I don’t belive fuel is a solution.
Old 08-25-18, 09:58 PM
SudoBailey
Driver School Candidate

This thread is now 66 pages long and spans +decade, I’m looking to go inside and fix the rattle on startup myself like several other people here.

I drive a 2007 IS250 RWD and I’ve got really high miles, surprisingly my car drives, rides and idles... perfectly.

so my plan is to go inside clean up the intake, valves and hopefully fix this rattle issue...
but I still don’t understand what parts I’ll need. The only thing I’ve gathered seems to point out a “VVTI controller” as the culprit. Are there any part numbers that can be provided for reference?
are there any other components that may also need attention in relation to the vvti controller?

if I can get a clear understanding on the parts I’ll be sure to document the installation and post pics and perhaps video also.
Old 08-31-18, 10:28 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have added Ceratec oil additive to quiet the noise 80% since my 07 GS450h is not listed under the recall/ tsb
Old 09-10-18, 03:51 PM
SudoBailey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samsonn25
I have added Ceratec oil additive to quiet the noise 80% since my 07 GS450h is not listed under the recall/ tsb
thanks for the tip sam, I’ll try that too
Old 09-17-18, 01:29 PM
lexgs2008
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with my IS. Dealer said its normal. I add half a quart of extra oil since then I didn't hear any noise at startup. I use Mobil 5w/30 synthetic oil.
Old 01-25-19, 03:45 PM
Dani2373
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Thank goodness someone else is confirming this. I left mine at the dealer for 4 days while they tried to diagnose the noise. It's not very frequent and is sometimes worse than other times. It definitely sounds like some sort of "ratcheting" noice almost as if something turning is rubbing up against the engine cover or something metallic. Mine took a brief hiatus but came back the other day (10K currently). It started well before my 5K maintenace though. Very frustrating as it sounds like I'm starting a hooptie sometimes. Please if someone finds a solution to this post it. The dealer was able to hear it one time but not able to reproduce it. It seems to happen more often from a very cold start (usually after sitting in the garage over a weekend. And it ONLY happens on startup; never any other time. And it only happens once immediately upon startup. Keep bumping this thread until someone finds a reason for this as it sounds as if more people are experiencing this than I imagined.
thank you I have complain and complain about the same thing and you hit the nail right on the head when you said it sounds like you're starting a hooptie because that's what I used to say all the time or I still do when I could use to get it started but my big thing is this car is a luxury car it shouldn't sound like this ever when you start it and I've heard it from the Lexus dealership service guys and other people" oh that's normal....." I don't want a car that sounds like that's when I start it it's embarrassing
Old 11-19-20, 06:10 PM
Ldnbil
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SudoBailey
This thread is now 66 pages long and spans +decade, I’m looking to go inside and fix the rattle on startup myself like several other people here.

I drive a 2007 IS250 RWD and I’ve got really high miles, surprisingly my car drives, rides and idles... perfectly.

so my plan is to go inside clean up the intake, valves and hopefully fix this rattle issue...
but I still don’t understand what parts I’ll need. The only thing I’ve gathered seems to point out a “VVTI controller” as the culprit. Are there any part numbers that can be provided for reference?
are there any other components that may also need attention in relation to the vvti controller?

if I can get a clear understanding on the parts I’ll be sure to document the installation and post pics and perhaps video also.
My 06 IS250 RWD has this rattling sound on cold.start sometimes.

Did you end up making a video of your DIY attempt? It would be very useful

Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)