IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto-x'ng the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 08:08 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-x'ng the IS350

I have not auto-x in sometime, I was a bit rusty in all honesty, still took first place in my class, but I was pretty sloppy. Not happy at all with my performance.

This was my first time out with the new tires, the RE-050 Pole position. I struggled a bit with tire pressure, first I had to much, then too little, the fronts were buckling over a bit in the hairpin at the back of the track.

As compared to the Dunlop Sport Maxx, I was a bit dissapointed with the feel and communication for one, and second withe the overall grip. The car tended to oversteer quite a bit more than before, and it did not feel as planted as it did with the Sport Maxx.
The Sport Maxx is definitely a superior tire in my opinion. It inspired quite a bit more confidence.

Also, when the RE's got some heat in them, they lost all grip, in my last run, which happened to be at the hottest time of the day, I did a 360 coming out of the hairpin. Tons of fun to be honest, I stayed on the gas the entire time thru, and as soon as I was pointing in the right direction, I gunned it and kept on going to finish my lap. Impressive amounts of smoke, and huge tire marks!!

Anyhow, here are some pics the local photographer took.

This is coming out of the hairpin, notice that I am full power, sliding and countersteering.
I struggled thru this hairpin with tons of understeer, I had to powersteer the car thru it

Going for a ride!!! full 360!

On the gas coming out of the spin

Full speed thru a slalom

Understeering like mad thru the hairpin

High Speed switch back, shifted to third shortly before hitting the brakes hard.

Pushing hard!!! Full lean!
I got a bunch of comments after my runs, how I hussle the car around the course. Everyone gets a big surprise to see, first a lexus out there, and second going that fast!!!!!!

Who says that racing is not a sport!!! I am wrestling with the wheel here to keep the car going straight! Serious, what a workout!
Old 09-20-06, 08:14 PM
gassman
Pole Position

I agree...tons of fun. Watch out for them there cones, your IS might like eating them.
Old 09-20-06, 08:49 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, I love the pictures of you pushing your IS
Old 09-20-06, 08:50 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

sexy.. but do you have any videos... pictures are worth 1000 words.. but videos are worth a million
Old 09-20-06, 09:05 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
sexy.. but do you have any videos... pictures are worth 1000 words.. but videos are worth a million
I totally disagree. The pictures are awesome, and capture much more detail than you'll ever get in video (at least in any format accessible via the web). Even though those are "only" stills, they certainly capture the moment that would be lost on video.
Old 09-20-06, 09:09 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Looks like a lot of fun. Where in FL did you auto-x?
Old 09-20-06, 09:17 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

YOU R D-MAN!
If I do that on wify's car, I am sure I will not be able to sleep on the bed for the rest of my life!
Good Spirit!
Old 09-20-06, 09:23 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I totally disagree. The pictures are awesome, and capture much more detail than you'll ever get in video (at least in any format accessible via the web). Even though those are "only" stills, they certainly capture the moment that would be lost on video.
This reminds me of the drive by disagreements you find in England
"ohhhh Reginald.... I disagree"

With newer video cameras, you can capture video in HD. a 3 minute video wouldnt be tooo big.

Anyway, Great pics... what type of camera was used?

Last edited by tqlla3k; 09-20-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-20-06, 09:49 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TimboIS
With pictures, YOU control your imagination. Your imagination could be more exciting than what really happened.
Old 09-20-06, 10:55 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

looks like its hella fun..
Old 09-21-06, 12:49 AM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

Did you turn VDIM and all of your traction controll off?
I turn VDIM off and my car keeps beeping at me every time i lose traction.

Last edited by ExKoukiS14; 09-21-06 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 01:06 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Meteoro, how did you like the cars balance and weight distribution? I have not had a chance to Auto-X or take it to the track for a few runs, but I have noticed that, (or maybe it's just me), for me, I find that the steering, braking is a bit numb to my liking. Did you find that maybe hindering the control in anyway. But since you took home the gold, you must've found it to be nothing for your skills.
Old 09-21-06, 04:31 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ExKoukiS14
Did you turn VDIM and all of your traction controll off?
I turn VDIM off and my car keeps beeping at me every time i lose traction.
VDIM was off on all my runs. The first time I auto-x'ssed it back in March, I kept it on, it was horrible. Ever since, I race with it off.

Originally Posted by cspec
Meteoro, how did you like the cars balance and weight distribution? I have not had a chance to Auto-X or take it to the track for a few runs, but I have noticed that, (or maybe it's just me), for me, I find that the steering, braking is a bit numb to my liking. Did you find that maybe hindering the control in anyway. But since you took home the gold, you must've found it to be nothing for your skills.
With the old tires, the Sport Maxx, the car was very balanced, and very light on its feet. Also, the car progressively broke loose, nice controllable slides, and all the time communicating to you.

Now with the RE's, totally different, i suffered from understeer, oversteer, and the car felt a bit nervous. I still need to dial the tire pressures better. This was my first time out with these tires. Lexus changed my tires due to the weak sidewall issues with a batch of tires.

As far as the controls, I find them to communicate fine. Yes, comparing them to the becnhmark, the 3-series, they may be a bit numb.
Old 09-21-06, 04:33 AM
meteoro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
Looks like a lot of fun. Where in FL did you auto-x?
The local SCCA sponsored club here in South Florida. Its called Equipe Rapide.

Out in the west coast, there is one in Fort Myers. I am not sure if there is one around the Tampa area.
Old 09-21-06, 05:34 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I love the photos! Split second moments caught with cones fliying, tires smoking is just sweet!!

Quick Reply: Auto-x'ng the IS350