IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should i trade my car in

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 11:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Between an 00 or 2002 NSX and IS350 I'd pick the NSX unless you need the back seat. Someone above asked if the NSX was as fast as the IS350? Well, I'd say the IS350 is as fast as the NA2 97+ NSX which is a 5.0 second flat car and has also dipped as low as 4.8 from some testers. That is about all the IS350 can match in terms of performance though. Obviously interior wise the IS is much more luxurious and much newer. I'd say go test drive the NSX. There really isn't much you can compare with an IS350 though as they are completely different cars. Ones drives and behaves like a mid engine purpose build sports car and the other drives like a fast 4-door sedan.
Old 09-22-06, 11:55 PM
drftsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh i say nsx. i was thinkin about trading in my IS as well for a GS and getting a nsx for a weekend car
Old 09-23-06, 12:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Just do yourself a big favor. Don't lift in the middle of a turn if you think you are going too fast. It's the quickest way yet to face the direction of travel at least once, and maybe a few times depending on your speed.

When I went for my test drive, I'd had a LOT of seat time in an SC MkI MR2, so I already knew how to drive mid-engine cars. If you are not familiar with them you will find yourself either touring the tulips or spinning out very easily before you figure out how to drive them if you are not cautious.
Old 09-23-06, 12:31 AM
flyfl1pguy

Get a NSX , . . .
Old 09-23-06, 01:07 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

LOL - you're a Lexus marketing dept wet dream. Originally buys a IS250, within a year trades in for a IS350, in 2 years will trade in for the IS500, etc, etc. Do yourself a favor, keep the 250 for at least another year and start saving for the IS500 . . .
Old 09-23-06, 02:46 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
LOL - you're a Lexus marketing dept wet dream. Originally buys a IS250, within a year trades in for a IS350, in 2 years will trade in for the IS500, etc, etc. Do yourself a favor, keep the 250 for at least another year and start saving for the IS500 . . .

thanks for the input.. i did test drive nsx many times.. my friends have them.. but i have a feeling it only a good weekend car and not for a daily.. the looks of that car is priceless and def. grabs attention anywhere you go (if thats what you want). as for the IS500 (assuming it comes out) i definatly will not buy it.. i dont' think a car such as the is500 (or any in it's class) is even worth the estimated price tag. on top of that i wouldn't want to have the same car after 3/4 yrs of ownership and then start over w/ the same car again just powerful motor and a face lift. Same reason what keeps me away from the is350 because if i trade my car in now.. i'll probably keep that car for about 3 yrs or so.. but i'l lhave the "same" car for 4 yrs.. haha call me spoiled i don't care but its who i am and i pay fo rmy own cars and support myself. heh

Last edited by ihkskim; 09-23-06 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-23-06, 03:34 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NSX. I would definitely love to own this car because it's just such a blast to drive. It may not be faster than an IS350, but the car is much more about the overall balance than anything. It brakes fantastic, awesome seating position, looks great, great suspension, easy to drive... and I could go on and on. I've been a Honda guy for awhile and S2000 and the NSX are the only two Honda's that I would every consider buying again.

The NSX, as stated before, is one of the only cars that Arton Senna used, and there's a great reason for that. Just the layout of the car is just fantastic. Mid-engine, RWD, N-A, and has a fantastic powerband, is just amazingly fun and sounds great with a nice titanium exhaust.
Old 09-23-06, 03:46 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by cspec
NSX. I would definitely love to own this car because it's just such a blast to drive. It may not be faster than an IS350, but the car is much more about the overall balance than anything. It brakes fantastic, awesome seating position, looks great, great suspension, easy to drive... and I could go on and on. I've been a Honda guy for awhile and S2000 and the NSX are the only two Honda's that I would every consider buying again.

The NSX, as stated before, is one of the only cars that Arton Senna used, and there's a great reason for that. Just the layout of the car is just fantastic. Mid-engine, RWD, N-A, and has a fantastic powerband, is just amazingly fun and sounds great with a nice titanium exhaust.
Ummm, sorry, but if you think Senna happened to be caught driving NSX's just because he liked them so much, you're a little confused. Senna was driving for Honda. They put him in the car to get some feedback, but mainly because he was their main marketing tool at the time. You could find him in commercials for various Hondas of the time.

Every F1 driver of the modern era will tell you the same thing... fast road cars don't do a thing for them. A grand prix car is just on another plane of existence, and once you've been there, trying to extract a thrill from a road car is a lost cause.
Old 09-23-06, 04:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Senna helped in the development of the car. It was well advertised and quoted in many of the popular car rags quite some time ago. To say he drove one for entertainment is pretty unlikely. As you said, when you've been in an F1, especially at his level, there is little else you'll find interesting to drive.
Old 09-23-06, 06:59 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the IS350 man, no question you'll be much happier...
Old 09-23-06, 07:20 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

you might as well throw in a RAV4 in there, I mean they're so completely different.......
Old 09-23-06, 07:29 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would trade it in or sell it. If you can get 26500 for it, and paid 31000, you are in good shape.

I sold my IS350(18s) and have a special order for an 07 with NAV+ML+18s+HIDs which is 40K Flat+tax+tags

If I only care about the Drive, I would get the NSX. Watch out for insurance prices.
Old 09-23-06, 09:47 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

He's talking about a "Used" NSX I'm pretty sure... compare to a new IS350. Hmmm... If it's a New NSX, then I would use that money and get something else... If it's a used one, I'd take the IS350.
Old 09-23-06, 10:14 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

yea its used.. the 2000 is the old flip top version the 2002 i want is the fixed headlight. I dunno i just called my insurance company for quotes on both and.. jesus.. my insurance will double w/ a 350 and i have a CLEAN record ($1240 6mo).. maybe its my age. the NSX was ($2100 6/mo) thats makes my decisions a lot easier..
Old 09-23-06, 10:55 AM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by socalJD
i agree with this guy. maybe even for the BMW M3

Quick Reply: Should i trade my car in