IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

step 1: Always know where my 2IS is located

Old 05-22-06, 10:04 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
BMW doesnt have this. you can not go on the web and track your car. What BMW assist offers is basically the same as lo jack. If the car gets stolen they will turn on the system and track your car.
Ok but why else would you want to track your car other than if it were stolen? I would hope you'd know where your car was unless you lent it to someone or a family member is driving it which leads us back to the real us of the Sprint Family locater. I was simply stating that the other 2 cars have the ability to be tracked if stolen, ok let's say you car is stolen you track it on the web, what is the next step? You sure can't leave the house and go to the location of the car becasue by the time you get there it may not be there and I doubt you will be able to take that internet access with you I would rather let the police do the work for me. Who knows what your going to be up against when you do find the car.

I love good debate!

Last edited by Style2k6; 05-22-06 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 10:04 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Heres more info on BMW Assist.

It comes standard for 4 years now the brochure link is old. Not bad... everything for 4 years including concierge service. I really like the collision notification. If your airbags go off someone will be calling you right then and there thru the car and your location will be sent to BMW Assist so they will call the police / ambulance if its needed.

http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/B...ochure_Web.pdf

Last edited by EBMCS03; 05-22-06 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 10:11 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Style2k6
Ok but why else would you want to track your car other than if it were stolen? I would hope you'd know where your car was unless you lent it to someone or a family member is driving it which leads us back to the real us of the Sprint Family locater. I was simply stating that the other 2 cars have the ability to be tracked if stolen, ok let's say you car is stolen you track it on the web, what is the next step? You sure can't leave the house and go to the location of the car becasue by the time you get there it may not be there and I doubt you will be able to take that internet access with you I would rather let the police do the work for me. Who know what your going o be up against when you do find the car.

I love good debate!

Huh? what debate? I'm not debating... I was mearly saying that BMW Assist doesnt do all that. The GPS is only used to track your car if its stolen. you cant do it yourself. Oh and its used to show your location if you press the button and need help. or if your airbags go off. But not ment for owners to randomly track their car.

Oh and Mercedes has this too.
Old 05-22-06, 10:17 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Ok wrong choice of words a good discussion would be better. I'm sure it also offers some type of insurance discount also.

Last edited by Style2k6; 05-23-06 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 10:35 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ya. 20% off comprehensive portion... which is $18 a year for me. Big Whoopie Dooo
Old 05-23-06, 05:08 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Style2k6
Ok but why else would you want to track your car other than if it were stolen? I would hope you'd know where your car was unless you lent it to someone or a family member is driving it which leads us back to the real us of the Sprint Family locater. I was simply stating that the other 2 cars have the ability to be tracked if stolen, ok let's say you car is stolen you track it on the web, what is the next step? You sure can't leave the house and go to the location of the car becasue by the time you get there it may not be there and I doubt you will be able to take that internet access with you I would rather let the police do the work for me. Who knows what your going to be up against when you do find the car.

I love good debate!
Sprint Family Locator can be used to minimize the time it takes to discover your vehicle is missing. If you can get it down to a few hours, I think you stand a better chance of recovering the vehicle undamaged, intact, or before your tactics can be thwarted. My understanding of the BMW assist is that it is strictly for vehicle recovery, not for vehicle tracking. Before you call BMW, you needed to have first called the police, file a stolen vehicle report, etc. To me that sounds more like a salvage operation.

If I came out of the mall after 2 hours and I went to my parking space and my vehicle was gone, I could start the Sprint Family Location application on my phone and on the small screen it would show me exactly where my car was located. From there I would call the police and they could be near my car within minutes. If I were at home, I could travel to the scene using a second car, friend's car, anyway I could get there. If the car is moving, I get updates on the road using my mobile phone and provide new data to police. These activities increase the likelihood of recovery substantially.
Old 05-23-06, 11:16 AM
RCPiercy
Driver

I just need to find a way to get a Sprint phone into the car I ordered. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-06, 11:26 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
I just need to find a way to get a Sprint phone into the car I ordered. Any ideas?
Any Sprint phone with Bluetooth capability will work with the basic functions of the 2IS bluetooth system.
Old 05-23-06, 01:31 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Using this service from Sprint called family locator, it uses GPS to pinpoint the location of your PCS phone. Since I leave one phone in my car at all times, always on, hooked up to the car power adapter, the battery should last for a week easily if unattended and will ALWAYS provide the exact GPS coordinates to the network. All I have to do is go online on my laptop and perform a quick locate and a map appears (see below for both types of map examples) showing you exactly where your car is located.

Recently when I was out of town in North Carolina, my car was parked at the airport for 4 days and three times a day everyday I checked online to make sure it was still parked at the airport. If the map suddenly showed my car elsewhere, I would simply dial the police in Missouri/Kansas and tell them my car is at the intersection of 5th and Main and it shouldn't be there, go check it out.
How come you always leave one cell phone in your car? Wouldn't you want to have it with you when you aren't in your car?
Old 05-23-06, 04:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
How come you always leave one cell phone in your car? Wouldn't you want to have it with you when you aren't in your car?
I only keep my primary phone with me at all times in my pocket. If you take your phone with you when you go inside and someone steals your car, how are you going to track it (a phone that is in your pocket).

So I leave a second phone in the car, hooked up to power, and paired to bluetooth. That phone serves as a [semi]permanent gps locator beacon who only purpose it to use in the car for gps and for calling out using bluetooth. no one knows the phone number so it doesn't get incoming calls unless i forward the calls from my primary first phone.
Old 05-23-06, 05:02 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by diablo1
He's rich enough to afford 2 phones. While I cant... I need that extra $10 to go twards the car payment.
Old 05-23-06, 05:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

He's rich enough to afford 2 phones. While I cant... I need that extra $10 to go twards the car payment.

hehe, no i work at sprint and part of my responsibility is to test alot of this. anything phone related. but there are really inexpensive sprint phones that you can add for this...plus the $10. it's better than an onstar fee or a useless gps device or lojack imo.

here's the recent pr: http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=11280
Old 05-23-06, 05:23 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

hehe, no i work at sprint and part of my responsibility is to test alot of this. anything phone related. but there are really inexpensive sprint phones that you can add for this...plus the $10. it's better than an onstar fee or a useless gps device or lojack imo.

here's the recent pr: http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=11280
Awesome! Can I help you test those things? Wonder if T-Mobile will have somthing like this soon.
Old 05-23-06, 05:52 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Awesome! Can I help you test those things? Wonder if T-Mobile will have somthing like this soon.
hehe, already have lot of testers in Calif as you can imagine. But all major carriers should have this if not soon since most newer phones are GPS capable.

This would be the beginning to other location-based services. Imagine one day your phone reports your location, speed, direction, etc to a master database and since nearly everyone is reporting, you get realtime traffic on your cellphone. Hit a button and your screen split four ways showing you all the cameras at the next intersection. Hit another button and that screen transfers to your Lexus nav screen using bluetooth. since you paid the hefty "premium highway services" fee, traffic lights are trained to hold longer on yellow just for you to allow you thru and police radar (in rural areas where gps can be more precisely assigned to a car) also tied into the network, flash "exemption" on the speed display unless you are 30 or better over. LOL

it is remarkable that nearly every urban taxi cab in japan and korea has gps with maps for directions both in the cellphone and in the dash. in south korea, law enforcement use fixed cameras and photo radar to catch speeders and they are practically everywhere. i never saw a patrol unit much less traffic radar. drivers use their cellphones and gps radar detectors to alert them when they approach a camera. the service provider has gathered the gps coordinates of all the known cameras and flashed them into the devices, i saw it working (very well) several dozens times.
Old 05-23-06, 08:48 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

Any Sprint phone with Bluetooth capability will work with the basic functions of the 2IS bluetooth system.
It was a joke. I haven't received my car yet, it's being built soon though. Just wanted to see where it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: step 1: Always know where my 2IS is located