IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 02:36 PM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my 3rd Summer in my 07-IS350. My warranty expired in Jan. 2011, and a few months later, the sun came out, and the creaking started. I've lived with it till now, and finally took the time to walk through the windshield stopper pin removal instructions. I did this last night. Took me about 90 minutes total. I was excited to finally have gotten it done.... however it didn't make sense to me how breaking off the tip of a piece of plastic that is not in contact with the glass was going to help. And today is 86 degrees, and indeed, this did not help.

When looking at the diagrams in NV002-05 (attached earlier in this thread), I would suspect that whole Windshield stopper piece needs to come out, not just the tip. The picture shows it is the back of the piece that I removed the tips from that is actually in contact with the glass. Since the creaking happens when the glass heats up, it only makes sense that the noise is coming from something the glass is in contact with. I'm going to open her back up this evening when it cools off a bit and see if there is more I can do.

Anyone else find that simply removing those tips somehow solved your problem? Anyone agree that they had to go back in and remove the whole stopper (Stopper No. 2).

Thanks,

John
Old 07-06-13, 03:39 PM
blubyu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yanefski
This is my 3rd Summer in my 07-IS350. My warranty expired in Jan. 2011, and a few months later, the sun came out, and the creaking started. I've lived with it till now, and finally took the time to walk through the windshield stopper pin removal instructions. I did this last night. Took me about 90 minutes total. I was excited to finally have gotten it done.... however it didn't make sense to me how breaking off the tip of a piece of plastic that is not in contact with the glass was going to help. And today is 86 degrees, and indeed, this did not help.

When looking at the diagrams in NV002-05 (attached earlier in this thread), I would suspect that whole Windshield stopper piece needs to come out, not just the tip. The picture shows it is the back of the piece that I removed the tips from that is actually in contact with the glass. Since the creaking happens when the glass heats up, it only makes sense that the noise is coming from something the glass is in contact with. I'm going to open her back up this evening when it cools off a bit and see if there is more I can do.

Anyone else find that simply removing those tips somehow solved your problem? Anyone agree that they had to go back in and remove the whole stopper (Stopper No. 2).

Thanks,

John
It did not fix my problem either and what I did might not be advised but it worked for me. All my noise was coming from the drivers side stopper and I hung a shop rag and squirted some WD40 right on the spot and haven't had a noise since. When I broke the tab off it made the noise much different what it was still there and very annoying.
Old 07-06-13, 11:53 PM
06i
Driver

Originally Posted by blubyu
It did not fix my problem either and what I did might not be advised but it worked for me. All my noise was coming from the drivers side stopper and I hung a shop rag and squirted some WD40 right on the spot and haven't had a noise since. When I broke the tab off it made the noise much different what it was still there and very annoying.
are you guys talking about the front or the rear? it seems like this thread has ppl with both front and rear windshield noises
Old 07-07-13, 04:28 AM
blubyu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 06i
are you guys talking about the front or the rear? it seems like this thread has ppl with both front and rear windshield noises
Based in the title of the thread I'd say most are talking about the rear, I know I am.
Old 07-08-13, 09:24 AM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

Yes, talking about the rear windshield. And great news, I was able to fix the problem! The NV002-05 TSB for the Lexus GS fails to mention the critical step! Simply cutting that little black tab is just prep for the final step. I figured this out by also reviewing TSB 0142-08 (Toyota). Step 2 in both of these TSB is to cut the tab, but the Toyota TSB lists step 3 on page 8

"Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper".

This made a lot more sense! That metal tab is what is tapping on the windshield, so bending it away from the glass solved the problem.

It was 80+ degrees and sunny yesterday, and it was Sooooo quiet in my car that I began to notice a little tiny clicking/chattering noise coming from left from air vent Should be an easy fix by comparison!
Old 07-08-13, 09:27 AM
06i
Driver

Yes, talking about the rear windshield. And great news, I was able to fix the problem! The NV002-05 TSB for the Lexus GS fails to mention the critical step! Simply cutting that little black tab is just prep for the final step. I figured this out by also reviewing TSB 0142-08 (Toyota). Step 2 in both of these TSB is to cut the tab, but the Toyota TSB lists step 3 on page 8

"Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper".

This made a lot more sense! That metal tab is what is tapping on the windshield, so bending it away from the glass solved the problem.

It was 80+ degrees and sunny yesterday, and it was Sooooo quiet in my car that I began to notice a little tiny clicking/chattering noise coming from left from air vent Should be an easy fix by comparison!
can you elaborate on this? is this between the tab and the upper part of the roof? not the headliner right

thanks
Old 07-08-13, 11:55 PM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

Sure. The little black tab you cut is sticking through a silver metal bracket that is mostly flat but folds up toward the windshield glass at the end. That folded piece gets very close to the glass. What I did is put a flathead screw driver horizontally in between the metal bracket and the glass and very gently twisted the screwdriver to a vertical position, which created a larger gap between the bracket and the glass. That's it!

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

John
Old 07-09-13, 02:09 PM
06i
Driver

Sure. The little black tab you cut is sticking through a silver metal bracket that is mostly flat but folds up toward the windshield glass at the end. That folded piece gets very close to the glass. What I did is put a flathead screw driver horizontally in between the metal bracket and the glass and very gently twisted the screwdriver to a vertical position, which created a larger gap between the bracket and the glass. That's it!

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

John
THANKS! i'm gonna go try this
Old 07-10-13, 11:30 PM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

cool. Let me know how it turns out!
Old 02-13-14, 04:22 PM
rollinout
Driver School Candidate

Default Grrrr?!?!

This sound is driving me nuts! It used to be temporary, but now after 5 years its permanent. Anyone know if there is a step by step with pictures? Or anyone who knows someone or a shop in Southern California than can help?
Old 04-21-15, 09:53 AM
06i
Driver

Originally Posted by rollinout
This sound is driving me nuts! It used to be temporary, but now after 5 years its permanent. Anyone know if there is a step by step with pictures? Or anyone who knows someone or a shop in Southern California than can help?
yeah, i've tried everything in the post but nothing has worked, i'm out of ideas....
Old 04-27-15, 10:20 AM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

did you see my posts and "bend" the metal bracket with a flathead screwdriver away from the windshield. This is what made the difference for me. Simply breaking off the black plastic tips was not enough to resolve the issue. I reference manufacturer documents in my post, and they have the step by step instructions with pictures.

"Yes, talking about the rear windshield. And great news, I was able to fix the problem! The NV002-05 TSB for the Lexus GS fails to mention the critical step! Simply cutting that little black tab is just prep for the final step. I figured this out by also reviewing TSB 0142-08 (Toyota). Step 2 in both of these TSB is to cut the tab, but the Toyota TSB lists step 3 on page 8

It was 80+ degrees and sunny yesterday, and it was Sooooo quiet in my car that I began to notice a little tiny clicking/chattering noise coming from left from air vent Should be an easy fix by comparison!"
Old 04-29-15, 10:47 AM
06i
Driver

i did and i thought i did it correctly but maybe i didn't. if you could help out with a pic of the exact thing you are talking about that would be AWESOME

thanks

did you see my posts and "bend" the metal bracket with a flathead screwdriver away from the windshield. This is what made the difference for me. Simply breaking off the black plastic tips was not enough to resolve the issue. I reference manufacturer documents in my post, and they have the step by step instructions with pictures.

"Yes, talking about the rear windshield. And great news, I was able to fix the problem! The NV002-05 TSB for the Lexus GS fails to mention the critical step! Simply cutting that little black tab is just prep for the final step. I figured this out by also reviewing TSB 0142-08 (Toyota). Step 2 in both of these TSB is to cut the tab, but the Toyota TSB lists step 3 on page 8

It was 80+ degrees and sunny yesterday, and it was Sooooo quiet in my car that I began to notice a little tiny clicking/chattering noise coming from left from air vent Should be an easy fix by comparison!"
Old 05-04-15, 08:03 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic pleasee!
Old 05-11-15, 07:11 AM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I don't have pics. I did this repair 2 years ago and sold the car not long afterwards. The instructions from the referenced toyota/lexus guides are sufficient to get you the right part, and you will see the black plastic tabs whose tips need to be broken off. The pics in there are accurate. Just don't forget the magic (essential!) last step of using a flat head screw driver to now bend the metal bracket gently away from the glass. That's what's hitting the glass! The silence is blissful! Get up in there and you will see it and be so happy when you are done! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it