IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where is the Best Place to Buy and Install Factory Rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 09:48 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Best Place to Buy and Install Factory Rear spoiler?

Carson Toyota has them listed at 299 but the parts store on MyIS.com has them listed for 200. Does anyone know if the one listed at the MyIS store is legitimate? Also is Lexus service the best place to install the rear spoiler correctly -- I think they would charge about 100 -- is this too much?
Old 05-06-06, 11:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Carson Toyota has them listed at 299 but the parts store on MyIS.com has them listed for 200. Does anyone know if the one listed at the MyIS store is legitimate? Also is Lexus service the best place to install the rear spoiler correctly -- I think they would charge about 100 -- is this too much?

I bought it form MyIS store and it's OEM. Lexus charges about 250$ to install if i remember correctly. I would install it at other places.
Old 05-06-06, 11:59 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i purchased mine from my.is store. have a friend help with the install. this is not that difficult. drill out 3 holes and install. just like that.
Old 05-06-06, 05:12 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

MyIS store is definitely legitimate. They have good stuff at great prices.
Old 05-07-06, 01:06 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whats OEM?
Old 05-07-06, 01:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
whats OEM?
Original Equipment Manufacturer are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html

I always thought an OEM spoiler would be a Lexus-branded Lexus-manufactured spoiler but I guess Lexus manufacturers and assembles cars, not the spoiler itself.
Old 05-07-06, 02:36 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kensteele
Original Equipment Manufacturer are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html

I always thought an OEM spoiler would be a Lexus-branded Lexus-manufactured spoiler but I guess Lexus manufacturers and assembles cars, not the spoiler itself.
oh... so when you say MYis sells oem parts, does that mean it sells lexus parts under its own name? or does lexus sells the spoiler at the sealership under its own name when infact lexus doesnt make them at all?

i hope u understand what im asking. i dont think i even do
Old 05-07-06, 02:52 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh... so when you say MYis sells oem parts, does that mean it sells lexus parts under its own name? or does lexus sells the spoiler at the sealership under its own name when infact lexus doesnt make them at all?

i hope u understand what im asking. i dont think i even do
I think I understand what you're asking. If you sell OEM parts you are either a reseller or a retailer or maybe even a wholesaler. These OEM spoilers are Lexus branded....but I'm pretty sure Lexus didn't create the mold and actually make these. They probably had some spoiler company do it. This spoiler company will make this particular spoiler for you and only you and allow you to put your brand name on it. As opposed to an aftermarket spoiler where some company will get the car, the part, the plans, or the details and create their own spoiler for the car and sell it to you probably cheaper.

This is what the definition says: "Short for original equipment manufacturer, which is a misleading term for a company that has a special relationship with computer producers. OEMs are manufacturers who resell another company's product under their own name and branding. While an OEM is similar to a VAR (value-added reseller), it refers specifically to the act of a company rebranding a product to its own name and offering its own warranty, support and licensing of the product. The term is really a misnomer because OEMs are not the original manufacturers; they are the customizers"
Old 05-07-06, 03:34 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

sorry. i hope i dont get flamed for posting this link but i got a question.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/index.php?id=1993

it says "** chmsl is included . Available Dec. 2005 **" what is "chmsl"? that wouldnt be the brake light cover would it? cus i believe thats something you need in order to install the spoiler
Old 05-07-06, 04:34 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

has anyone tried ordering from MyIS store by phone instead of their website? I don't see any ssl encryption on their order form/page.
Old 05-24-06, 11:48 PM
ggzoa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Got mine from the dealer for $235 and the install was $85. Was done at Coliseum Lexus in Oakland. That will be the last time I ever set foot in that service department. The price was right but the installers damaged the spoiler on install. Between me waiting for the new seatbelts that were being rowed over from Japan and the new spoiler to come in, they had my car for 10 days. Of course, my service advisor kept telling me that the car would be ready tomorrow and then not call me for two days. Luckily they gave me the RX loaner and I racked up 1800 miles on it. I was gonna put those miles on the IS but they saved me a few miles on my new car.
Old 05-25-06, 12:05 AM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

sorry. i hope i dont get flamed for posting this link but i got a question.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/index.php?id=1993

it says "** chmsl is included . Available Dec. 2005 **" what is "chmsl"? that wouldnt be the brake light cover would it? cus i believe thats something you need in order to install the spoiler
center high mounted stop light
Old 07-13-06, 09:13 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

does the myis one come with the chmsl too?
Old 07-13-06, 09:39 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
does the myis one come with the chmsl too?
nope. (10characters)
Old 07-13-06, 11:17 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anybody have a pic of the chmsl? i wonder how much higher it is than the original?

Quick Reply: Where is the Best Place to Buy and Install Factory Rear spoiler?