IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**PICS- Rear of NON-Nav/ NON-ML Head Unit***

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 06:39 AM
^saint
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **PICS- Rear of NON-Nav/ NON-ML Head Unit*** New Pics Added - We be screwed!!!***

Well I got bored this morning and decided to take apart my dash to see how the non-Nav/ non-ML head units were put together.

Well my fear I think was finally realized. In no was shape or form unless you have a large amount of cash will you be able to put the stock Nav in to the car ot at least from what I can tell.

Worst is the fact that it does not look like it will be easy to put an aftermarket system/headunit in to the dash. From what I gather, but I have not taken the whole thing apart is that the AC controls, Display, and Radio and Display are all integrated on one board. Once again I have not taken it apart, but I have a feel that is how it may be setup. The only easy location to put an aftermarket would be in the location of the CD changer.

Well here are the Pics:

I followed the instructions from the NAV hack thread and took apart everything very carefully:

Rear inside the interior

The back of the Radio/AC controls and LCD's. As you can see the yellow piece is all one part, but I do not know what is inside it. It could very well be two parts, but I did not have time to take the whole thing apart:

The only interesting thing I did discover is that the CD changer looks like it uses RCA's may be something that comes in handy when having the aftermarket as you can connect the CD changer as a Aux connections.

Last edited by ^saint; 04-13-06 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 08:09 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ^saint
Well I got bored this morning and decided to take apart my dash to see how the non-Nav/ non-ML head units were put together.

Well my fear I think was finally realized. In no was shape or form unless you have a large amount of cash will you be able to put the stock Nav in to the car ot at least from what I can tell.

Worst is the fact that it does not look like it will be easy to put an aftermarket system/headunit in to the dash. From what I gather, but I have not taken the whole thing apart is that the AC controls, Display, and Radio and Display are all integrated on one board. Once again I have not taken it apart, but I have a feel that is how it may be setup. The only easy location to put an aftermarket would be in the location of the CD changer.

Well here are the Pics:

I followed the instructions from the NAV hack thread and took apart everything very carefully:

The only interesting thing I did discover is that the CD changer looks like it uses RCA's may be something that comes in handy when having the aftermarket as you can connect the CD changer as a Aux connections.

My question for the GURU's If a Stock nav for IS happen to pop-up in ebay can i put one on my car and all the wriring will be the same?

Forget it i just read the post LOL
Old 04-12-06, 09:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see why the NAV wouldn't fit...as you said IS nav units will be on ebay soon . I retrofitted NAV in a Mercedes...damn near plug and play...I had a buddy that knew what he was doing help me - we were done in about 45 mins.

(this is an older GS system)
Old 04-12-06, 09:07 AM
dainese954
Driver

if the connectors are all the same then it should fit right?
Old 04-12-06, 09:33 AM
^saint
Rookie

That is what I am trying to say, the connectors do not look the same at all. Take a look at my pics, then look at the NAV hack thread and look at the connectors in there. There are several over connectors, this may be for the ML, but I am not sure.

My Bro-In-Law works at a dealership and spoke with the head parts guy and it pretty much was sumed up that you would not be able to put the NAV in. Now I have not see all of the wiring diagrams to make that final determination. Does anyone have access to the Lexus service manual and can email me a pic of the wiring diagram between the NAV and non-Nav units?

You are right that it is only a matter of time before NAV's do start to show on ebay. To be honest, I am tossed on the stock NAV. Has a lot of nice features, but also a lot of restrictions. A nice Eclipse single Din or Pioneer Single din flip-up would look beautiful in place of the stock radio/LCD. Also if the CD changer is RCA, nothing is stopping you from adding that to your aftermarket radio.

I have already found a wrecked IS and waiting to here back from the seller on if he is willing to strip out the NAV system for some testing.

Just my .02
Old 04-12-06, 09:36 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Nice thanks for the hard work. Did you get any pictures of the actual connections to the HVAC?
Old 04-12-06, 09:45 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ^saint
That is what I am trying to say, the connectors do not look the same at all. Take a look at my pics, then look at the NAV hack thread and look at the connectors in there. There are several over connectors, this may be for the ML, but I am not sure.

My Bro-In-Law works at a dealership and spoke with the head parts guy and it pretty much was sumed up that you would not be able to put the NAV in. Now I have not see all of the wiring diagrams to make that final determination. Does anyone have access to the Lexus service manual and can email me a pic of the wiring diagram between the NAV and non-Nav units?

You are right that it is only a matter of time before NAV's do start to show on ebay. To be honest, I am tossed on the stock NAV. Has a lot of nice features, but also a lot of restrictions. A nice Eclipse single Din or Pioneer Single din flip-up would look beautiful in place of the stock radio/LCD. Also if the CD changer is RCA, nothing is stopping you from adding that to your aftermarket radio.

I have already found a wrecked IS and waiting to here back from the seller on if he is willing to strip out the NAV system for some testing.

Just my .02
We need to get the Nav Hack guy to take a look at this picture to confirm it.

Please some one take a look at it.
Old 04-12-06, 09:47 AM
^saint
Rookie

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Nice thanks for the hard work. Did you get any pictures of the actual connections to the HVAC?

Actually I forgot to get the connector. It is the connector on the right-hand side of the whole unit. in the first picture.
Old 04-12-06, 09:52 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Well here is the pic from the NAV hack thread

I just dont see why the connections are different. The Non Nav unit is still digital autoclimate. Easily it could use all the same sensors and controllers. The only real differences there should be are

1) Antenna connections for GPS
2) Video input for Back up camera.
3) Mic connection
4) steering wheel button

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-12-06 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 09:57 AM
rys
Pole Position

Actually, I did the NAV hack in mine. (No, I am not the original NAV hack guy).

Anywaays, I just did this a few days ago, so this is still fresh in my mind. Basically, there were several connectors that jumped between the units, I think there was a strip of 3 connectors on one wire. The two ends were plugged in on the bottom, and the middle was plugged in on the top (P1)

There was also another independant jumper that jumped between the multi display and the NAV unit.

The factory wiring manual shows part numbers for each of the connectors, so if one were so inclined, they could totally install a NAV unit if they really wanted.

Also, in the pics above, I could not actually see the connectors directly. There's a lot of side shots, and a shot of where the NAV _should_ be.

The factory radio connections on the NAV/ML unit are at the very bottom, same as what I can see in the above pictures.

Keep in mind that on a NAV/ML equipped vehicle there are several more wiring harnesses and components to worry about. There's a rear "Stereo Component Amplifier", Steering Pad Controls, there's a Microphone in the Overhead J/B (Inside the Sunroof Control), there's the backup camera, etc.

I'd guess that it is cost prohibitive to do a NAV conversion in this particular vehicle.

-Brian
Old 04-12-06, 10:00 AM
^saint
Rookie

I will take it apart in the morning again and try to get better pictures of the connections. Sorry I was being lazy
Old 04-12-06, 10:20 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

I have already offered anyone in nor-cal with a non nav unit to swap my nav/ml in there to see if it works.
Old 04-12-06, 05:04 PM
pr0vakativ
Driver School Candidate

where in nor cal are u located i have a non navi non ml system i just want to see if swapping the navi would work . so i can decide to go aftermarket or wait on ebay for one to show up?
Old 04-12-06, 07:29 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Im in Vallejo, off of 780.

I'll be out of town this weekend but next week will be fine.
Old 04-12-06, 09:05 PM
lexus27
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tonyxcom
I have already offered anyone in nor-cal with a non nav unit to swap my nav/ml in there to see if it works.
dang, i wish you were in socal so i can try out to see if your nav/ml is compatible with just the nav.

Quick Reply: **PICS- Rear of NON-Nav/ NON-ML Head Unit***