IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need a 2006 IS250 and IS350 for R&D

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 09:14 AM
Swift Racing
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need a 2006 IS250 and IS350 for R&D

We need a 2006 IS250 and a 2006 IS350 to make an intake system with ECU.

Anyone in the MD/DC/VA area that is willing to donate their car for a couple of day and receive a deeply discounted (almost free) intake should please contact Mo at SRT.

By e-mail sales@swiftracing.com

By Phone @ 301-982-4600
Old 03-22-06, 10:24 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A true cold air intake + ECU?
Sounds interesting.
Old 03-22-06, 12:34 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that every other R&D project gives the guy the free product that was designed. What exactly is "almost free"
Old 03-22-06, 12:53 PM
RAPEDAPE
Driver School Candidate

I would think it would be "free" as well, especially if you want someone's brand new car to tinker with and ricky race around testing the equip. Wear and tear on the car, tires, etc....
Old 03-22-06, 01:57 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mtnduc
A true cold air intake + ECU?
Sounds interesting.
um he genius where do you see CAI anywhere in the original post?

Originally Posted by RAPEDAPE
I would think it would be "free" as well, especially if you want someone's brand new car to tinker with and ricky race around testing the equip. Wear and tear on the car, tires, etc....
its an intake. i doubt they will be racing the car to its extremities to test an freaking intake. they'll cad up a couple pipe designs test them put the car on a dyno and see if anything happens. the only wear and tear would be NORMAL wear and tear while accelerating which they would do slowly to get a decent dyno graph.

they are 'almost free' because using a R&D vehical only helps them find a design they like to use. after you test a car on a series of mods the dyno results can become inaccurate due to ECU learning, this and since all you're doing is providing the application, someone has to pay for materials. ala you the end R&D user.

oh let us not forget its planned to coincide with a ecu change, and that isn't cheep to engineer either.

if i didn't live in SC i'd jump to the chance to offer up my car. i'm offering up my headlight fixtures to AAC for an R&D project and paying shipping and materials some labor and still saving $100s

Last edited by uschardcor; 03-22-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 02:31 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Well.......if that's the case, then they can go to the local dealership and buy one for $45k. Should be completely free in my book........after all, your the one who has what they need.

But, if someone wants to give their car up for a few days and have it run to red line a few times and then pay for it as well, more power to em..........
Old 03-22-06, 06:00 PM
Leechiro
Driver

no kidding, they use our car to run through to redline and they expect US, to compensate them in any way? hahaha suuuure buddy. give the intake or whatever it is you are testing for free.

youre right, they are doing R&D. but we as consumers dont need to pay for that in any form. most companies have budgets for the R&D. you say we need to pay for materials and pay for the engineering of the ecu....thats rediculous. the R&D company pays for that crap cause its them that the testing is benefiting.

BTW this is not to the thread starter, just to any and all posters who are arguing we need to pay for part of the research.
Old 03-22-06, 10:37 PM
RAPEDAPE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uschardcor
um he genius where do you see CAI anywhere in the original post?

its an intake. i doubt they will be racing the car to its extremities to test an freaking intake. they'll cad up a couple pipe designs test them put the car on a dyno and see if anything happens. the only wear and tear would be NORMAL wear and tear while accelerating which they would do slowly to get a decent dyno graph.
Oh, ok. One dyno, maybe two...not to redline but nice and gentle and voila...an intake we have with confirmed HP gains. Sign me up...NOT. But thanks for playing.

No offense to the thread starter.
Old 03-23-06, 02:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

OK, all the late 2005, 2006 "newbs" that are posting in this thread need to take a look at the join date of the thread starter. Mo has been here since day one, and is one hell of a trusted tuner, one of the best. It is a PRIVILEGE to have him do anything to your car.

You want something for free, go call APC.
Old 03-23-06, 03:01 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

What does that have to do with anything?

He wants your car and wants you to pay for it......................I don't think so.

But, I guess that's just my west coast mentality. Maybe back east guys don't mind ............
Old 03-23-06, 03:11 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

I dont see why everyone is going all nuts over "free" vs "almost free".... The guy is just asking if anyone is interested thats all. Not like hes going to come at night, take your car, dyno it, and leave an "almost free" invoice for an intake.... If I was on the East Coast I would be down, but Cali is a bit of a drive.
Old 03-23-06, 07:09 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

He can use my car all he wants as long as he gives me 10% of the PROFIT from every intake and ecu sale.
Old 03-23-06, 07:31 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I would think any R&D company of repute, would have the means to (1) get a car from Lexus directly, or (2) buy/lease one themselves. I also suspect they would need a vehicle for ongoing research or enhancements, and not just a one-time thing.
Old 03-23-06, 07:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

If I had a 2IS I would do this without question. Even driving from NC up to MD (which I have done several times for SRT / Mo to work on my GS).

The SRT intake + ECU (equivalent of a SAFC but a black box variety you can't tweak yourself) for the 1IS is $400 (on sale) normal MSRP is $595. It's widely recognized as one of the best NA mods you can do both on the 1IS and on the 2GS.

Yes, as part of the R&D Mo is going to put your car on the dyno and redline it just like you say. Many times so he gets it tuned right. That costs me at least $75 when he does that to tune my car (either when I had the SRT intake and when he put on the supercharger).

Bottom line you're getting $475 - $670 worth of stuff at what I'd assume to be a bargain price.

The cons to this modification that everyone should be aware of is that to put in the air/fuel ECU Mo will have to splice and tap into some wires in your OEM ECU box. If you have engine problems down the road, Lexus could choose not to honor the claim.... just depends on the dealer. Same with any mod you make (suspension, exhaust, etc). Many members with Lexus under warranty (including myself) have done this with no warranty support problems but in theory you could have an issue with an **** service manager.

If you don't think this is an attractive offer, don't do it This stuff is not for everyone or the faint at heart.
Old 03-23-06, 07:41 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

man, i'd be there in a heartbeat if i was near.

Quick Reply: Need a 2006 IS250 and IS350 for R&D