IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Chalk another one up for cheap Lexus paint (bird bomb)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 05:27 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for that thread Mcfly. That was interesting.
Old 03-09-06, 08:18 AM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by pwndzzled
LOL Don't you realize that the need to start your comments by asking for trust is more reason to be skeptical of you? Silly.

I had an '02 BMW 325xi blk/blk for three years until I bought the IS 350, blk/blk. I could tell from the beginning that the paint was crap compared to the BMW. I also looked close at a friends 11-month old 5 series, and it's paint is still pristene with no special attention. Now, after several months my original assessment is only validated further. It is crap, and it's dissappointing. A lux car should have higher standards.
Maybe you should look at how you are washing your car vs how he is washing his car. Blaming Lexus for poor upkeep is just lame.

Just incase everyone didn't know...the manufacturers DON'T make their own paint. There are only a handful of suppliers that EVERY manufacturer uses.

It is quite possible the paint on your Lexus came from the same manufacturer as the paint on your BMW.
Old 03-09-06, 09:50 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pwndzzled
LOL Don't you realize that the need to start your comments by asking for trust is more reason to be skeptical of you? Silly.

I had an '02 BMW 325xi blk/blk for three years until I bought the IS 350, blk/blk. I could tell from the beginning that the paint was crap compared to the BMW. I also looked close at a friends 11-month old 5 series, and it's paint is still pristene with no special attention. Now, after several months my original assessment is only validated further. It is crap, and it's dissappointing. A lux car should have higher standards.
First of all, my brother has an M3 and he had lots of paint chips on his bumper before he recently got it repainted. Im not saying that the M3 has a better paint job/ paint than a 325xi or anything just because its a more expensive model, but I sure as hell do know it doesn't have a worse one.
How did you know from the beginning that the lexus paint was crap? Do you have special senses or something? No matter how crappy a paint is getting tons of paint chips in just a few months of purchasing a new car is not because the paint sucks but because of how you drove.
I have a black 2IS which I had for 3 months now and I have barely any paint chips probably since I dont drive right behind cars on the highway.
Old 03-09-06, 12:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcfly
Trust me, it's nothing specific to Lexus. Everyone with a new car, regardless of the manufacturer, *****es about the paint. Go look on ANY forum. My WRX is only 3 years old, and the front end is a mess. My wife's 5 year old S2000 looks like it served as a target for every 8 year old with a BB gun on the east coast.

It also depends a lot on how you drive. If you spend all your time on the highway wedged underneath someone's rear bumper, you're going to get a lot more chips than if you spend all your time alone on back roads. But again, this isn't a Lexus specific problem.
I understand what you are trying to say. I agree that all manufacturers paints are not as durable as in the past. What I did say is that of my current cars of late, my Lexus has the most paint damange in a quicker rate of time. The way I dirve has nothing to do with it because I drive my other cars along the same route the same way. In fact, I drive some of my other cars more aggressively. Yes, my other cars have paints chips as well, but nowhere near as much and it took a much longer time.

Now, if it can be prooved that the Lexus paint is the exact same contruction as other manufacturers paint ****ruction, then perhaps the aero design of the Lexus cars, or the frontal area of the Lexus cars make them more prone to getting rock chips. Of course, I don't really believe that. All I know is that my 04 front end is going to need a repaint real soon, or I'll just have to live with a car that looks like it has 5 years worth of paint chips up front.
Old 03-09-06, 03:36 PM
haniiip
Driver School Candidate

i just got my 2006 IS250 last monday and didn't buy the option of the "paint protection layer" the dealer was offering...do you think it's not too late to have it added? from what i've been reading so far, maybe i should take the car back for the extra body paint protection.
Old 03-09-06, 07:39 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by haniiip
i just got my 2006 IS250 last monday and didn't buy the option of the "paint protection layer" the dealer was offering...do you think it's not too late to have it added? from what i've been reading so far, maybe i should take the car back for the extra body paint protection.
It's only too late after you have a rock blow the paint off the front of your car. I'd get it on there ASAP
Old 03-09-06, 11:16 PM
pwndzzled
Rookie

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
How did you know from the beginning that the lexus paint was crap? Do you have special senses or something?
For one, it's not as shiny. Secondly, the first or second time I washed it, there were more water spots and blemishes than my 325 had after a year (guesstimate). I actually didn' t upkeep it as well as I am the IS so far. And yes, I do have special senses. To sense my special senses, you must have special senses too. :P

In all fairness, I shouldn't call the Lexus paint "crap". It's just not as good as other cars I've had and it's a little dissappointing. In the same week we purchased the IS, we got an '06 Pathfinder. Yes, it's black too, and it's paint is holding up better with no difference in treatment. Furthermore, the 325 actually seemed like it was sealed... which would explain the differences I've noticed.
Old 03-09-06, 11:26 PM
LexAppeal
Rookie

Getting my IS soon, what is the paint protection layer exactly and how much was it? I was set on getting a clear bra but was hoping dealer would do it so I could put it with the monthly payment.
Old 03-10-06, 12:36 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexAppeal
Getting my IS soon, what is the paint protection layer exactly and how much was it? I was set on getting a clear bra but was hoping dealer would do it so I could put it with the monthly payment.
I'm assuming that is the clear bra..? Or is it the dealers ripoff "paint sealant and interior stain protectant" package?

Last edited by Kamikaze2b; 03-10-06 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 01:56 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I'm assuming that is the clear bra..? Or is it the dealers ripoff "paint sealant and interior stain protectant" package?

If it is not an actual bra or clear bra film I'd say it is a rip off. Long ago when I used to work for a car dealership those paint protection applications where a total rip off.
Old 03-10-06, 03:10 AM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

If the bird pie was that large it sounds like a seagull or surewater was the culprit. Their diet is extremely acidic so their droppings are as well. The same thing happened on my brother’s car only to top it off the bird was actually walking on the trunk so it left these huge gauge marks. The ish can be removed try Maguire’s cleaner wax. But in the future if you have a dried dropping try soaking it first for several minutes and then allowing the water to spray it off the car that helps prevent the hardened dropping from ripping paint off and also becoming an abrasive and leaving swirl marks.
Old 03-10-06, 03:40 AM
lcarr
Rookie

Does anyone have a preference for detailing kits to carry in your car? Or where and what kind of microfiber towels are you using? I have a couple from Harley, but they are expensive and small. Is the a good cheap source for microfiber towels???
Old 03-10-06, 04:01 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a clear bra installed and that will solve any further problems.
Old 03-10-06, 05:13 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

When I picked up my car and the guy doing the paperwork trying to sell you extra things gave me the brochure on the paint protection. He said the car already had it on it as they do all the cars that come in to their dealership, but I could pay a certain amount of money and then it would be warrantied for a certain amount of time. Didn't get the warranty but glad it is on it.
Old 03-10-06, 08:16 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by is4me2
When I picked up my car and the guy doing the paperwork trying to sell you extra things gave me the brochure on the paint protection. He said the car already had it on it as they do all the cars that come in to their dealership, but I could pay a certain amount of money and then it would be warrantied for a certain amount of time. Didn't get the warranty but glad it is on it.
I am wondering what this "paint protection warranty" thing is. The paint/finish is warranted already. Therefore, does this additional warranty for "paint protection" cover things like chipping caused by rocks and road debris, or is it just an extension of the existing paint/finish warranty? If it's the former, it would be very interesting to know how the warranty is addressed when those conditions occur. If just an extension of the existing warranty, then it strikes me as pretty much worthless.

Quick Reply: Chalk another one up for cheap Lexus paint (bird bomb)