Print Wikipost

Fast Install of Illuminated Scuff Plates

Old 03-20-08, 09:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^
Yeah its just a typo on the website... I am not sure what the 08' IS Brochure says...

But all 2008 Sport Packages will just have Aluminum Scuff Plates..

Now if you get a 2008 X-Pkg or Lux Pkg you will get the White Illuminated Scuff Plates.

If you have a Premium or Base Pkg you get the lovely black plastic.

So here is a side question..
How would you wire these up if your IS has NO CONNECTOR under the plain scuff plates... ???
Old 03-20-08, 09:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^
Yeah its just a typo on the website... I am not sure what the 08' IS Brochure says...

But all 2008 Sport Packages will just have Aluminum Scuff Plates..

Now if you get a 2008 X-Pkg or Lux Pkg you will get the White Illuminated Scuff Plates.

If you have a Premium or Base Pkg you get the lovely black plastic.

So here is a side question..
How would you wire these up if your IS has NO CONNECTOR under the plain scuff plates... ???
Lexus appears unaware it's a typo.

I called them a while back asking why my 08 Sports Package doesn't have what the website says it should.

They sent a lexus tech out to where I work to install illuminated plates on my car. Free.

Didn't get to keep the old ones to sell, which would've been a nice bonus, but still, free illuminated scuff plates.

I assumed it was a mid-model change like the carpet they changed for tan on 08s and mine was just made before the change.
Old 03-20-08, 09:38 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Just to clean up a few unanswered questions since someone brought the thread back to life-

06 sports only is plug n play
07-08 they're all plug n play

For 08 at least the sports models should come with illuminated plates standard as well, I believe 06-07 was the metal ones. At least some 08 sports came with the metal ones too, but Lexus'll give you free illumnated ones if you point out their error.

There are no rear illuminated sills, front only.

Pics of the white ones are in a couple of threads, including the fairly recent one by Joe Z on his install... a search should turn these up

For the ES350- I kind of doubt they'd fit as it's an entirely different vehicle platform... but if you could make the plate physically fit I imagine you could wire it in a similar way to how the 06 non-sports folks wire their assuming you get a wiring diagram to see what the comparable wire(s) would be.
Thanks for your input on it. i've always wanted illuminated door sills after seeing them on my buddy's IS. i guess my only way to get them is a retro fit then... if it works...
Old 03-20-08, 09:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus appears unaware it's a typo.

I called them a while back asking why my 08 Sports Package doesn't have what the website says it should.

They sent a lexus tech out to where I work to install illuminated plates on my car. Free.

Didn't get to keep the old ones to sell, which would've been a nice bonus, but still, free illuminated scuff plates.

I assumed it was a mid-model change like the carpet they changed for tan on 08s and mine was just made before the change.
Wish I new sooner...

I bought my Illuminated ones and sold my brand new 08' Aluminum ones.. ...
Old 03-20-08, 09:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I'm just guessing it's a mid-model change... we'd need to hear from a sports package owner whose car was built in the last month or two I guess...

My dealership had never -seen- a sports package car other than mine, so they just did what Lexus corp. told them to do... and it's possible whoever I got at Lexus corp had no idea what's correct and just saw my build sheet didn't match the website and told the dealership to bill them for fixing it.

It certainly wouldn't be the first website mistake- see also the couple of years they claimed the ML without Nav option had a DVD changer until I forced them to fix it after getting my car and finding the DVD changer missing... (though they appear to have fixed the web site by simply removing the option entirely rather than correcting the text)
Old 03-20-08, 10:10 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

No.. its just a typo...
I just saw a Sport Pkg last month.. it had the Aluminum Plates... No mid year model change...

You didn't force them to add the ML DVD head unit to your IS??

Well, I'm just guessing it's a mid-model change... we'd need to hear from a sports package owner whose car was built in the last month or two I guess...

My dealership had never -seen- a sports package car other than mine, so they just did what Lexus corp. told them to do... and it's possible whoever I got at Lexus corp had no idea what's correct and just saw my build sheet didn't match the website and told the dealership to bill them for fixing it.

It certainly wouldn't be the first website mistake- see also the couple of years they claimed the ML without Nav option had a DVD changer until I forced them to fix it after getting my car and finding the DVD changer missing... (though they appear to have fixed the web site by simply removing the option entirely rather than correcting the text)
Old 03-20-08, 10:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
No.. its just a typo...
I just saw a Sport Pkg last month.. it had the Aluminum Plates... No mid year model change...

You didn't force them to add the ML DVD head unit to your IS??
They said it was impossible to add the DVD changer without nav. Instead they sent a check for the $940 the option cost and pulled the option entirely from the website.

So far between the free scuff plates and the stereo refund Lexus poor website maintenance has saved me over $1200!
Old 03-20-08, 11:58 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

So, I was looking at Sewell's parts page and it has 6 different part numbers for each side "left and right", but it doesn’t say anywhere weather or not they are illuminated, or what color they are. So, which part number is for the blue, white, and the aluminum non illuminated? I would call, but I don’t have easy access to a phone out here in the middle of nowhere. If someone could brake down the part numbers I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-20-08, 12:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
So, I was looking at Sewell's parts page and it has 6 different part numbers for each side "left and right", but it doesn’t say anywhere weather or not they are illuminated, or what color they are. So, which part number is for the blue, white, and the aluminum non illuminated? I would call, but I don’t have easy access to a phone out here in the middle of nowhere. If someone could brake down the part numbers I would really appreciate it.
I can only confirm the 2008 White Illuminated part numbers for you..

See here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=330141

The part numbers on their website are sometimes altered / different from the actual real part number.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-20-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 01:27 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Thanks Mr Z
Old 03-20-08, 04:29 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Good thing to know that the new models are plug and play. I wouldn't feel good about messing with my wiring. I like the white one...gonna get me some with my tax return money along with the aluminum sport pedals.
Old 03-20-08, 04:35 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

On the '07+ it is literally a 10 min job (5 min if you don't stop to admire your own work).

And, of course, you remember to have your interior door light "ON"...yeah, I'm stupid that way
Old 03-20-08, 05:35 PM
timucla
Driver

I have an 06' and had to do the wiring and let me tell you that with the DIY from this thread, it was a piece of cake and literally took me less than 30 mins. If anyone needs help in Socal hit me up.
Old 04-03-08, 03:11 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timucla
I have an 06' and had to do the wiring and let me tell you that with the DIY from this thread, it was a piece of cake and literally took me less than 30 mins. If anyone needs help in Socal hit me up.
Did you get the new white scuff plates? Mine have a Red and a Brown wire. Which one is the one to cut? Seeing if I can save measuring which one is (+).
Old 04-03-08, 04:51 PM
timucla
Driver

Originally Posted by AznJason
Did you get the new white scuff plates? Mine have a Red and a Brown wire. Which one is the one to cut? Seeing if I can save measuring which one is (+).
Sorry. I have the older Blue ISPs and my wires were the Blue and grey like in the instructions on this DIY.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast Install of Illuminated Scuff Plates