IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 01:25 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
this is like comparing apples to oranges..
g35 is 2 door coupe. poor quality infiniti leather, if you ever sat in their new M35/M45 whatever else they got, the leather sucks compared to lexus leather.
car is heavy and played out. everyone and their momma got a g35 coupe.
no way you going to get mark levinson quality factory option audio in the g35 coupe.
with that being said, the g35 has less hp and is slower than the lexus.
lexus > infiniti
Not only that, but the G35 dash lights up in all orange, like the Nissans, I own a 05 Pathfinder, so it sucks with the way they light the dash up in all orange. And the LEX oooo pretty.
Old 05-31-06, 01:32 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

My opinion is that the G35 looks pretty darn nice in coupe form. The sedan is blah and would never consider one. Comparing the G35 to the IS I'd say the G35 is a very handsome beast and the IS is sexy. Hmmm I guess to me that makes the Infinity a male and my IS a female. Oh well I'd much rather be driving a female then a male.

Oh and the interiors of the cars..... Hands down IS all the way. Perfect!
Old 05-31-06, 03:16 PM
ISMaximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dfw350
this is like comparing apples to oranges..
g35 is 2 door coupe. poor quality infiniti leather, if you ever sat in their new M35/M45 whatever else they got, the leather sucks compared to lexus leather.
car is heavy and played out. everyone and their momma got a g35 coupe.
no way you going to get mark levinson quality factory option audio in the g35 coupe.
with that being said, the g35 has less hp and is slower than the lexus.
lexus > infiniti
True, the G35 has the crappy Blose radio and that's it.
Old 05-31-06, 04:52 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
My opinion is that the G35 looks pretty darn nice in coupe form. The sedan is blah and would never consider one. Comparing the G35 to the IS I'd say the G35 is a very handsome beast and the IS is sexy. Hmmm I guess to me that makes the Infinity a male and my IS a female. Oh well I'd much rather be driving a female then a male.

Oh and the interiors of the cars..... Hands down IS all the way. Perfect!
I always thought of the G35 coupe as more feminine and sexy due to the classic swooping curves and the IS350 as more handsome due to the chiseled good looks and angles.
Old 06-01-06, 08:44 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Default MythBusters...

As a Lexus and Infiniti owner -- I can't just sit on the side-lines! Let's throw some facts out to confirm or bust myths being tossed around...

PhilipMSPT says "Quality for quality, the IS350 beats the G35 hands down!"

Funny -- according to MSN.COM and Kelly Blue-Book, the G35 has perfect scores across the board.
G35 Reliability Rating
(and for the record, so does the IS300, so quality-wise, they are the same according to KBB)

As a total brand, Lexus is the top-dog: (Note: G35 didn't come out until 2003, so it wasn't part of this survey) 2005 Most Reliable Vehicles

But according to the same article -- Infiniti beats many other brands that are perceived to be of high quality: Toyota, Honda, Acura, BMW in particular...
Chart Ranking Reliability by Name-Plates

Time will tell how reliable the IS350 will be. But I'm a 3-year Lexus owner with a 2004 Lexus RX330, and that car was extremely buggy. And I wasn't alone. Search my past history if you want to hear all my woes. The only lesson it taught me was the Lexus is just as prone to first-year problems as any other maker.

I also own a 2005 G35 Coupe, it has 9K miles on it, and has only been in the shop for oil changes. So from personal experience, Infiniti has been nothing but reliable. Lexus was the brand the let me down. I'm planning to swap again in 2008, and I'm anxious to see how the re-designed G35 compares to the IS350. Maybe I'll swap the G for an IS350...comments on this board will help me decide in a year or two!

cmusic says "The G35 is slightly faster than my IS250"

....the IS250 clocks 0-60 at 7.9 seconds. A 4500 pound Honda Pilot SUV can even beat the IS250! Just about every sedan over $25K beats the IS250. Now on the other hand -- the IS350 is a screamer...and definately trumps a stock G35 in 0-60.

dfw350 says "only thing g35 coupe is good for is not having to drive coworkers to lunch"

Absolutely True! And that's a plus!

bagwell - "also keep in mind that Lexus' are going to retain their value a lot better than infiniti regardless of the year/model."

According to Kelly Blue-Book - G35 is a Top resale value leader...
Top re-sale value -- Pictures...
(top sedan was Mitubishi Lancer EVO, top convertible was the 350Z).
2005 Top re-sale article...

And for 2006, Infiniti has 2 cars that rank tops for "2006 Best Resale Value". Lexus only has 1: 2006 Top Resale Vehicles

I just test-drove an IS350 this week, and loved it. I hate the fact that you can't disable the traction controls for real fun...but overall it's a very sweet ride. I can't wait to test-drive the redesigned G35 and compare when its released.

Last edited by blue_rx330; 06-01-06 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by blue_rx330
As a Lexus and Infiniti owner -- I can't just sit on the side-lines! Let's throw some facts out to confirm or bust myths being tossed around...

PhilipMSPT says "Quality for quality, the IS350 beats the G35 hands down!"

Funny -- according to MSN.COM and Kelly Blue-Book, the G35 has perfect scores across the board.
G35 Reliability Rating
(and for the record, so does the IS300, so quality-wise, they are the same according to KBB)

As a total brand, Lexus is the top-dog: (Note: G35 didn't come out until 2003, so it wasn't part of this survey) 2005 Most Reliable Vehicles

But according to the same article -- Infiniti beats many other brands that are perceived to be of high quality: Toyota, Honda, Acura, BMW in particular...
Chart Ranking Reliability by Name-Plates

Time will tell how reliable the IS350 will be. But I'm a 3-year Lexus owner with a 2004 Lexus RX330, and that car was extremely buggy. And I wasn't alone. Search my past history if you want to hear all my woes. The only lesson it taught me was the Lexus is just as prone to first-year problems as any other maker.

I also own a 2005 G35 Coupe, it has 9K miles on it, and has only been in the shop for oil changes. So from personal experience, Infiniti has been nothing but reliable. Lexus was the brand the let me down. I'm planning to swap again in 2008, and I'm anxious to see how the re-designed G35 compares to the IS350. Maybe I'll swap the G for an IS350...comments on this board will help me decide in a year or two!

cmusic says "The G35 is slightly faster than my IS250"

Oh please -- and it's been said many times earlier. ....the IS250 clocks 0-60 at 7.9 seconds. A Honda Pilot SUV beats the IS250! That car is SLOW by today's standards. Just about every sedan over $25K beats the IS250. Now on the other hand -- the IS350 is a screamer...and definately trumps the G35 in 0-60.

dfw350 says "only thing g35 coupe is good for is not having to drive coworkers to lunch"

Absolutely True! And that's a plus!

bagwell - "also keep in mind that Lexus' are going to retain their value a lot better than infiniti regardless of the year/model."

According to Kelly Blue-Book - G35 is a Top resale value leader...
Top re-sale value -- Pictures...
(top sedan was Mitubishi Lancer EVO, top convertible was the 350Z).
2005 Top re-sale article...

And for 2006, Infiniti has 2 cars that rank tops for "2006 Best Resale Value". Lexus only has 1: 2006 Top Resale Vehicles

I just test-drove an IS350 this week, and loved it. I hate the fact that you can't disable the traction controls for real fun...but overall it's a very sweet ride. I can't wait to test-drive the redesigned G35 and compare when its released.
I can appreciated you posting your links. Now
1. Infinti having finally two cars with decent resale value, doesn't>Lexus which has done it for 16 years now. Most Infiniti's are discontinued, even the name sharing G20. The coupe has great resale, the Sedan's is average.
2. A IS 250 has nowhere near the performance of a G35 acceleration wise and to argue that is crazy.
3. Your personal experience doesn't mean a brands. Lexus is world reknown for quality and reliability. Infiniti is not, even though its good.

Nissan Blames Jewelry
Puzzled Nissan Motor Co. engineers inspecting the company's $1.4-billion Mississippi plant traced paint flaws and scratches to the watches, wedding rings, belt buckles and bracelets that assembly workers wore on the job.

In June, Nissan dispatched 200 mechanical, structural, electrical, chemical and materials engineers from Tokyo headquarters after a J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study published consumer complaints about Nissan vehicles built in the United States. The study questioned 51,000 consumers who bought or leased 2004-model trucks and cars.

Consumer gripes about vehicles made at the Canton, Miss., factory included wind noise, vibrating brake pedals and paint blemishes.

The plant, which opened in May 2003, produces the Altima sedan, the Quest minivan, the Armada sport-utility vehicle and the Titan truck for Nissan and the QX56 SUV for Infiniti. Nissan also makes Altimas at a Smyrna, Tenn., plant.

"The engineers walked the Canton assembly line, watched workers getting in and out of cars, studied their movements," Nissan spokesman Tom Groom said. "Wet paint can be mutilated very easily so the engineers walked the whole assembly line then focused on the area where the paint is still wet."

That's when the engineers spotted jewelry inflicting scratches and paint smears. He said workers have been ordered to remove their jewelry and metal accessories before taking their places on the assembly line.

Problems at the plant have had no apparent impact on Nissan's U.S. sales. In July, Nissan reported its best-ever month in the United States, building on the launch of the many light-truck models out of the Mississippi plant.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Lexus keeps J.D. Power long term dependability crown 11th time in a row #1

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
J.D. Power and Associates Reports: The Automotive Industry Records Substantial Long-Term Vehicle Quality Improvements

Lexus Ranks Highest in Vehicle Dependability for the 11th Consecutive Year; General Motors and Ford Motor Company Earn Record Number of Model Awards

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 29 June 2005 - The automotive industry records an impressive 12 percent improvement in long-term vehicle quality, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2005 Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today.

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of 3-year-old (2002 model-year) vehicles, provides useful information to both consumers and the automotive industry on long-term vehicle quality. For consumers, the VDS offers insight into the reliability and dependability of brands and specific models as they approach the end of a typical warranty period. Manufacturers use this information to track the quality performance of their models over time to implement product improvement plans.

At the industry level, manufacturers have made a considerable leap in quality, with improvements across all categories. The industry average improves 32 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) compared to 2004. In addition, nearly all nameplates and 84 percent of vehicle models included in the 2005 VDS also record year-over-year improvements. The categories showing the most significant improvements in 2005 include ride, handling and braking; engine; and interior.

"While the Initial Quality Study [IQS], which measures problems experienced in the first 90 days of ownership, can be an indicator of how models will perform over time, our studies consistently show that long-term durability is a tremendously important factor to consumers," said Chance Parker, executive director of product and research analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. "As the number of problems owners experience with their vehicles increases, repurchase intent and the number of recommendations owners will make to others decreases. The study also finds that long-term durability can have a significant impact on a vehicle's retained value."

According to actual retail transaction data from the Power Information Network, a division of J.D. Power and Associates, 3-year-old vehicles of brands that perform above the industry average in VDS typically retain $1,000 more of their value than those of brands performing below the industry average.

Lexus, which ranks highest in vehicle dependability for the 11th consecutive year, improves 14 percent (23 PP100) compared to 2004.

Porsche makes the largest percentage improvement in its VDS score, while Hyundai experiences the largest reduction in problems reported by owners. Porsche, which ranks second among nameplates, improves 38 percent compared to 2004-a 91 PP100 improvement. Although still hovering below the industry average, Hyundai records a dramatic 115 PP100 improvement (31%).

"Hyundai experienced similar levels of improvement in the 2002 IQS, when these vehicles were new, which shows a successful effort by Hyundai in translating short-term quality improvements into higher long-term quality," said Parker. "Even though there is still room for improvement, Hyundai is a great example of an automaker that is making strides toward improving vehicle quality by paying close attention to owner feedback and designing products with both short- and long-term quality in mind."

General Motors models earn eight segment awards and Ford Motor Company models receive five segments awards -a record for both GM and Ford in VDS. Toyota Motor Corporation models receive four awards.

The Lexus LS 430, which earns a score of 90 PP100, is the first model in VDS history to receive fewer than 100 PP100. The LS 430 receives the premium luxury car segment award, and Lexus also receives awards for its RX 300 (entry luxury SUV) and LX 470 (premium luxury SUV) models.

Chevrolet captures the most segment awards, with the Prizm (compact car), Malibu (entry midsize car), S-10 Pickup (midsize pickup) and Silverado HD (heavy-duty full-size pickup) each earning an award in their respective segments. Ford receives three segment awards, for the Thunderbird (entry luxury car), Windstar (midsize van) and E-Series (full-size van).

The VDS is one of three J.D. Power and Associates quality metrics, along with IQS and the Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study, which measures customer perceptions on the design, content, layout and performance of their new vehicles. The results of the 2005 IQS were released in May and the 2005 APEAL Study is scheduled for release in late September.

The 2005 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 50,635 original owners of 2002 model-year cars and light trucks. For more information on vehicle ratings, visit the J.D. Power Consumer Center at http://www.jdpower.com.

Old 06-01-06, 08:58 PM
LexFather

BTW, bub, not saying Infinti is unreliable, they are very reliable, clearly a top 10 reliable brand.

Lexus is just the best in this category bar none, even when they don't finish first, its 2nd

Lexus tops quality survey again! 2005 JD Power Toyota GM dominate!
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050518/vehi...ality.html?.v=1

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Co., the world's two largest automakers, had the top vehicles in 15 of 18 categories in a closely watched survey of 2005 models released Wednesday by research firm J.D. Power and Associates.

Toyota's Lexus SC430 was the highest-ranking vehicle for the second year in a row. Owners of the luxury sedan reported 54 problems per 100 vehicles, less than half the industry average of 118 problems per 100 vehicles. Suzuki Motor Corp. had the highest rate of problems per vehicle at 151 per 100 vehicles.

Overall, Toyota had the top vehicles for initial quality in 10 categories, including the Toyota Prius compact car, Toyota Sienna minivan and Lexus sedans in all three luxury car categories. GM had five winners, including the Buick LeSabre full-size car, Chevrolet Suburban full-size sport utility vehicle and GMC Sierra heavy-duty full-size pickup.

The survey, in its 19th year, is an important one for automakers, which often use the results in their marketing campaigns. J.D. Power and Associates questioned more than 62,000 people within 90 days of buying or leasing a 2005 vehicle. The survey measures 135 attributes, including handling, braking, engine trouble and vehicle design.

Automakers showed little improvement in overall quality in 2005, moving up just one notch from 119 problems per 100 vehicles in 2004.

GM's Hummer brand showed the most improvement from the 2004 survey, J.D. Power said. Hummer was last among vehicle brands in 2004 with 173 problems per 100 vehicles. This year, it had 110 problems per 100 vehicles.

Nissan Motor Co. had the most improved vehicle model with the Nissan Quest minivan. The Kia Spectra, Hummer H2 and Toyota Scion xA also showed marked improvement.

J.D. Power and Associates: http://www.jdpa.com

Wow, JAG AND BMW up there with under 100 problems listed!! Benz ahead of Toyota by 1! Infiniti dropped and Acura is barely above avg (2 points). Nissan, Scion and Porsche below the avg.
LEXUS WINNERS
Entry Luxury Car
IS 300 and IS 300 Sportcross!

Mid Luxury Car
GS 300/430

Preminum Luxury car
LS 430
SC 430

Entry Luxury SUV
RX 330

Premium Luxury SUV
GX 470
LX 470

Only the ES didn't make the list. Amazing!!!!
Old 06-01-06, 09:00 PM
LexFather

I cannot agree, people for years have complained about the car's quality.

Totally unrelated, here is 2004's list to compare too.

Even overseas in Europe. (There is no Infiniti there)

J. D. Power Survey 2005 @ UK...and the winners are...
Forwarding this from my.is.
Lexus wins the Gold award as the IS series wins the executive/luxury category (overall 2nd only to Honda Jazz).

On the other hand, MB got beaten up pretty good. See the 2nd paragraph of the remarks in the executive/luxury category.

http://www.whatcar.com/News_Special...2&EL_ID=3121185

GOLD AWARD Lexus
For the fifth year in a row, Lexus has taken the top spot. Toyota’s luxury brand has retained its title thanks to impressive reliability – hardly anything ever goes wrong mechanically – and top-quality materials in the cabins.

Lexus owners are not just impressed with the fact that they only make scheduled visits to the dealer, they are also pleased with the service they get. Most owners rate Lexus dealerships as high-quality facilities and the dealers themselves as conscientious and helpful.

On the road, they also seem to enjoy driving their cars, with Lexus scoring consistently well for driver appeal.

http://www.whatcar.com/News_Special...2&EL_ID=3121181

JD Power Survey 2005:
Executive and luxury cars
14 April 2005

You’d be forgiven for assuming that this class would bring certain satisfaction. Yes, it is true that only three of these cars fail to make the top half of the overall results.

However, there are notable exceptions, not least the Mercedes E-Class. It finishes second bottom in this class and barely makes the top 100 overall. Worse still for Mercedes, the C-Class finishes only two places above the E in this sector.

Top of the heap again is the Lexus IS and credit must go to Lexus for its consistently high scores. However, it was pushed hard by the BMW 5 Series, which narrowed the margin of the IS’s victory compared with last year.

Sadly, the Alfa Romeo 156 finishes last again.

Lexus IS200/300 CLASS WINNER
Rating 85.5% Overall Ranking 2nd
Once again, an excellent performance from the IS. It remains a clear winner in this class, even though the gap to the next best has narrowed since last year.

Again, the IS secures second place overall, too, and for the same reason: consistently good scores across the board. It’s rated as excellent in three categories, and above average in every other category except for one. The only real criticism – and it was surprisingly heavy criticism – was for its fuel consumption; diesel power is unavailable.

Otherwise, it’s good news all the way. Owners love the looks, the dealers and the interior, and they like driving it. Last, but not least, it has above-average build quality and mechanical reliability.

BMW 5 Series Second in class
Rating 84.3% Overall Ranking 6th
The Five keeps rising up the overall charts: eighth overall last year and sixth this year.

The interior was its real strength and every aspect scored extremely well, from the seat comfort, practicality and layout to the stereo and ventilation systems. On top of that, owners rated the running costs and dealers highly, and had plenty of favourable words about the quality, reliability and handling.

BMW 3 Series Third in class
Rating 82.9% Overall Ranking 14th
A fine showing from the 3 Series, which secures third in this class. It scored well for handling and owners found running costs very affordable. They also rated service from dealers as above average.
It isn’t quite so impressive in the other categories but, even so, there are no horror stories about reliability, quality or comfort – it’s rated average in each one.
Old 06-01-06, 09:02 PM
LexFather

And again blue_rx330, your post is greatly appreciated. its rare people post some FACT and LINKS to support their data.
Old 06-01-06, 09:03 PM
LexFather

Consumer Reports Least Reliable
OK, so there's already a thread with the 2006 most reliable results. But here's the least reliable results, I guess CNN doesn't like to put this in their stories so it doesn't cost them any advertising money - you have to love the media's notion of reporting the whole story.

Least reliable

Vehicles listed in scoring order, starting with the worst score.

SMALL CARS: Chevrolet Cobalt*.

SPORTY CARS/
CONVERTIBLES/COUPES:
Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible, Mercedes-Benz SL, Mercedes-Benz CLK, Ford Mustang (V6)*, Chevrolet Corvette*, Audi S4.

SEDANS: Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Saab 9-3, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 5 Series (V8), Audi A8, Chrysler 300 (V8)*, BMW 7 Series.

WAGONS: Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Volkswagen Passat (V6) (2005), Volvo V50*.

MINIVANS: Nissan Quest, Buick Terraza*, Chevrolet Uplander*, Pontiac Montana SV6*, Saturn Relay*.

SMALL SUVS: Saturn Vue (AWD), Hyundai Tucson*, Kia Sportage*.

MIDSIZED SUVS: Volkswagen Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, Land Rover LR3*, Land Rover Range Rover*, Ford Explorer (2005), Mercury Mountaineer (2005), Jeep Grand Cherokee*, Ford Freestyle (AWD)*, Cadillac SRX, Volvo XC90, Chevrolet TrailBlazer (V8), GMC Envoy (V8), BMW X5 (V8).

LARGE SUVS: Infiniti QX56, Nissan Armada, Hummer H2, Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition.

PICKUP TRUCKS: Nissan Titan, Chevrolet Colorado (4WD), GMC Canyon (4WD).

No Toyota, No Lexus
Old 06-01-06, 09:05 PM
LexFather

SWEEEEP!!! Consumer Reports most reliable brands! Lexus, Toyota, Scion!!(Lexus Awards
I don't have the link but just read elsewhere

The 2005 Auto Issue of Consumer Reports just came out and the best reliability manufacturers are as follows:

1. Scion
2. Lexus
3. Toyota

4. Subaru
5. Honda
, 6. Acura, 7 Mitsubishi, 8 Infiniti, 9 Hyundai, 10. Suzuki.

Send a message via AIM to 1SICKLEX Send a message via Yahoo to 1SICKLEX

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/04/pf/....reut/index.htm

(Summary: Japanese big-3 are tops, followed by Domestics, then the Germans in terms of quality)

Consumer Reports picks 'Best Cars'
Ford Focus removed as 'best small car' due to poor crash test result.
March 7, 2005: 12:59 PM EST

DETROIT, March 4 (Reuters) - Japanese automobiles are the true kings of the road, judging by the latest annual "Best Cars" issue of Consumer Reports magazine, which hits newsstands next week.

All of the vehicles in the magazine's list of "top picks" in 10 different categories for 2005 are Japanese. The exception had been Ford's small-sized Focus sedan, but the magazine announced Sunday night that it was dropping the Focus because of a poor crash test result in an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety side impact crash test. (For more on the results of those tests, announced Sunday, click here.)

Consumer Reports said Sunday night that those considering the Focus might want to look at the Toyota Corolla with optional side airbags instead.

Japanese vehicles also score a clean sweep on a list of 21 vehicles that Consumer Reports says it can recommend because they earned "very good" or "excellent" scores in all five major ratings areas it tested.

The recommendations are important since the spring auto issue from Consumer Reports, which accepts no paid advertising or free samples of the products its reviews, has long been seen as a trusted shopping guide by many U.S. car buyers.

Anything that could accelerate the rate of defection away from Detroit's mass market automakers is clearly bad news for the likes of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. as they continue to lose market share to fast-growing foreign rivals.

The Big Three can take solace, however, from a Consumer Reports survey showing for the second consecutive year that the average domestic car is more reliable than its average European counterpart.

That trend, which gives Detroit at least some bragging rights, was reported by Consumer Reports for the first time in 24 years in its previous auto issue, in 2004.

Reliability results this year were based on responses from Consumer Report subscribers about a record 810,000 privately owned or leased cars and trucks.

Japanese and Korean automakers once again produced the most trouble-free models, with an overall problem rate of 12 per 100 for the 2004 model year, the same rate they have had for the last three years, Consumer Reports said.

It said GM, Ford and the Chrysler side of DaimlerChrysler AG inched closer to the Asians with an overall problem rate of 17 per 100, however. That matched the industry average and was down from a combined rate of 18 per 100 last year.

By contrast, the problem rate for European automakers rose slightly to 21 per 100 from 20 last year.

"Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, and Volvo had more than their fair share of problems. Only Audi came out better than average," the magazine said.

"The most reliable brand overall is now Subaru, which averages eight problems per 100," Consumer Reports said. It noted that Honda Motor Co. Ltd., long a reliability leader, now averaged nine problems per 100.

The single most reliable vehicle in the 2004 model year was Hyundai Motor Co, Ltd's low-cost Sonata sedan, with a problem rate of just two per 100.

The showing "further establishes Hyundai's remarkable turnaround from one of the least reliable brands to one of the best," Consumer Reports said of the Korean automaker.

Ford's Lincoln Navigator sport utility vehicle and Nissan's Quest minivan tied for most unreliable vehicle, it said, with problem rates of 49 per 100. Close behind was the pricey Touareg SUV from Volkswagen AG, which had 48 problems for every 100 vehicles.
Old 06-01-06, 09:09 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, reading all of these survey's, and response's about the G35 vs Lexus has gave me a headache I'm satisfied with both of my cars, and may look into buying a IS350 coupe if they make it.
Old 06-01-06, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Bottom line from a quality stanpoint, IMO, Inifniti is clearly where I place faith in, they have always made good quality cars overall, not as good as Lexus. Lexus would not be Lexus and the company they are today if they were number 4 or number 9 in quality.

They are number 1, year after year, and the general public knows, a Lexus is the best built car you can buy.

Something to think about.

The IS is based on more expensive tech, based on its big brother the GS. The G35 is a Nissan Skyline based on the 350Z, FM platorm (which is clearly an outstanding platform).
Old 06-01-06, 09:39 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

blue_rx and I have a lot in common. I have a '04 rx330, had a very early '03 G sedan and then a '04 G coupe, and now have an '06 IS.

I also had a few issues with the RX but they were all taken care of unlike my experience with the two Infiniti's I've owned.

The Infiniti's were very reliable in that I was never stranded anywhere and they started up every time. Interior materials, are OK but fitment/rattles were atrocious. Think chinese water torture.

Styling is subjective but the coupe trumps anything that Lexus has put out, ever.

Power was very good in both Infiniti's but MPG was very bad. I averaged about 17-18 mpg when new and 21 in both the sedan and coupe after they were fully broken in at 15K miles +. My IS with just over 1000 miles is averaging close to 26 now with the same exact commute.

My biggest gripe with Infiniti and the reason I am one of those that will not buy another is the inability to get warranty work done on the car. Without going into detail, Infiniti works against you in getting work done on your car. When you do get them to fix something, the fix is usually temporary/stop gap measures if they work at all. For instance, many owners have rocking/shifting/creaking seats. Both my sedan and coupe had this. They issued a TSB on this about 3.5 years ago and AFAIK, its still a temporary fix and '06 owners are still complaining about this.
Old 06-01-06, 09:48 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

One thing that should be said I think, at least here, a G35 is a dime a dozen. An IS is still something special and unique

Quick Reply: IS 350 vs G35 Coupe