IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 04:54 AM
acl15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems a little expensive for something someone could easily jack.....
Old 10-06-06, 05:32 AM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default My Cover

Lots of good points that everyone made about unwanted attention,the cost, and , the logo,and protecting it.
I agree the logo is kinda big but its the only one on the cover so it is barrible to some degree. I really dont have much worrys about it attracting people as I live in a gatted condo complex with about 10 police officers as permanant residents. Also when I leave it there unattended for a couple days I had boughtn the security cable so you cant just rip it off.(Knock on wood)
And as far as the price goes I would have to say the quality of this cover far exceeds oem's car cover in both materials used and price .
Thanks for the opinions
Jon
Old 10-06-06, 06:39 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Who would want to steal your car cover? Its custom made to fit only the IS and there are probably 1 maybe 2 tops in your complex. Plus, typical IS owners are not thieves (at least I would hope).
Old 10-06-06, 06:42 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

If I didnt have a garage to put my new IS in it. I wouldnt even get a expensive car like the IS in the first place.

Thats just me.
Old 10-06-06, 07:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
If I didnt have a garage to put my new IS in it. I wouldnt even get a expensive car like the IS in the first place.

Thats just me.
I suppose these things are relative, but in don't consider the IS an expensive car. The IS and the ES are the two lowest priced entry level vehicles in the Lexus lineup. According to NADA, the average price of a new car in 2005 was $28,400. They haven't released the figure for this year, but I'll bet it isn't far off from the $30,970 starting price of the IS. Even fully loaded, the IS350 sells in the mid to upper 40s, about a tenth the price of a truly expensive car like the Mercedes SLR McLaren.

There is no reason that someone who lives in a home without a garage should forgo the comfort, style, reliability and driving pleasure of an IS. When it inevitably gets dirty from being parked outside, they have a wonderful invention called a hose that the owner can use to wash it off.

Last edited by Bichon; 10-06-06 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 08:33 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Great reply Bichon!

At work we do not have covered parking and the are constructing a new office tower on our corporate campus, so dust and crap get EVERYWHERE.

As a result, I put the car under a cover every day. Hey it makes a BIG difference and it takes less than 5 minutes to apply and remove.
Old 10-07-06, 08:10 PM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default Any One ???

Does any one else have a picture of there cover for there 2IS. Wanted to see if were any other decent covers out there. Thanks for any responses all
Jon
Old 10-07-06, 09:14 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol..i dont have a garage at my full time residence...uhhh maybe i should return my IS and GL ..lmao..anyway here is a pic of my car cover..only have a pic from the back that i took quick with my sidekick, i thought it was cute with just my sparkly plate showing i dont use it on a daily basis..only when i know i'm going to a meet and cant get my car washed on the day of
it cost $150 and came with a free cable lock kit...its supposed to be the same as the oem one with the exception of not having the lexus logo
Attached Thumbnails The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)-stuff-4-paul.jpg  

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 10-07-06 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 12:06 PM
flyfl1pguy

Default Car cover during winter time

For those people who parks their car outside during winter time do you still cover your car? In the morning before going to work I've been noticing that the car cover is a lot more wet during this time rather than summer time. So, I've been trying to decide not to cover my car during winter time. Is that ok? Or should I still cover it during this time.
Old 03-08-07, 01:28 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Default Car Cover

I live in a place where it can get 80+ every day in the summer time and want something to help protect my lovely leather interior and also help keep her clean longer.

I ordered a custom fit from carcoversdirect.com the other day. The only thing which sucks is it will take 2-3 weeks to be made.

Anyone purchase from them before? They were the cheapest I could find on the net. $300.

I got the Weather Shield cover in gray.

Weather Shield
Old 03-08-07, 03:03 PM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

I bought a "custom" car cover from ebay about 1 month ago. Here is a recent listing for the same product:

{EBAY LINK}

It fits alright - there are a couple of problems - it may be indicative of car covers in general (I never used a car cover before, and I don't think I will in the future):

1. It is heavier than I thought it would be. This makes putting it on the car a very cumbersome process.

2. There is a buckle latch strap system that is not removable from the cover. This means you have to always secure it to the buckle on the other side (thread it under the car) or some how tie it up with a rubber band if you don't want to use it or you leave a super long strap just hanging on the ground. Also, the strap buckle sits inside of the cover, so putting the cover on, you have to be extra careful not to make it scratch your car. UGH.

3. Folding it and storing it is a big PITA. It's worth repeating. PITA. And one more time just to be sure. PITA. The 5-layer cover is so bulky. Folding it down to the proper size to fit in its small storage bag is a pain. I can't even make it fit in the small storage bag. It's like a sleeping bag, but 3 times heavier and 5+ times larger. Where do you guys fold it, on the dirty ground of the parking lot or driveway?

4. The inside has a flannel like fabric that leaves "fur" on your car when you take off the cover. I have SGM, so the white fur really stands out. UGH.

Because it is such a PITA to use, I only used the cover once. I may only use it during the summer if I have to leave the car out for days in a heat wave or something. Even though it is supposedly "waterproof" I wouldn't want it to put it on during the rain because I'd imagine the cleanup would be again, a PITA.

In short, car covers are a pain in the butt. Right now my car cover sits idle in a box in my living room.

Last edited by misterbear; 03-08-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 08:39 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

Default Car cover from CarCoversDirect.com

After looking around different websites, I found carscoversdirect.com and placed an order for a Weather Shield car cover for my IS350. They said all covers are custom made for each car and fit perfectly. I finally got it and boy was I upset.

It's not very custom fitting. One side is longer than the other side, leaving a bit of the car exposed. The part for the side view mirrors looks like they just stuck huge oversized sacks to fit them. Not form fitting. It's suppose to repel water, but even with light condensation, my car still gets wet and when I take the cover off, I smear the water and get my car dirty.

The order process was painless, but now that I have the car cover, I don't want it.

Don't order from them. I'll post pictures tomorrow when its daylight. Should have bought one from the dealer.
Old 06-11-07, 08:42 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did it cost? Tell them its a piece of crap and you would like to return it.
Old 06-11-07, 08:54 PM
DeviousOne
Lead Lap

I'm in process of trying to return it now, it was around $300.
Old 06-11-07, 08:57 PM
chaos6458
Pole Position

Reeeeeeeeeeturn that crap!!!
Get a factory car cover made just for isx50.
I had the car-cover since day one and boy i love that thing!!
you want car cover that fits perfectly? get the factory one.
sure, it's way more expensive but i think it's worth every penny.

Quick Reply: The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)