IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Red-out taillights and spoiler PICS...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 11:41 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diablo1
It is definitely legal to have a car that has either red or amber lights in OEM condition. However, what may be illegal is modding the lights from their original condition. I did a quick search and found this in the Vehicle Equipment Regulations for the state of Virginia:

Covers, including those with emblems, names or designs cannot be installed over any required or approved lamp, light or lens unless equipped as standard factory equipment.

So this would seem to indicate that this mod is actually illegal in Virginia. As for other states, I guess you will have to do the research for your specific state.

This is one of those that won't be enforced. Cops aren't going to know the difference, to be completely honest. Yes, it's technically illegal, but too many other cars have stock red signal lamps anyway, so it's not harming anything. If you were to install white bulbs or something of the sort, then yeah I could understand that, but you aren't changing the color or even the function of it, just slightly modifying the housing
Old 01-10-06, 11:49 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
This is one of those that won't be enforced. Cops aren't going to know the difference, to be completely honest. Yes, it's technically illegal, but too many other cars have stock red signal lamps anyway, so it's not harming anything. If you were to install white bulbs or something of the sort, then yeah I could understand that, but you aren't changing the color or even the function of it, just slightly modifying the housing
Well, you are changing the color, since it goes from a visible orange light to a visible red light.

I agree with you that no one will ever get pulled over for this, and it is probably not much of a safety issue. I just wanted people to know that if they are extremely concerned about breaking the law, they shouldn't do this mod, since by the books, it may be illegal.
Old 01-10-06, 12:48 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you are changing the color, since it goes from a visible orange light to a visible red light.

I agree with you that no one will ever get pulled over for this, and it is probably not much of a safety issue. I just wanted people to know that if they are extremely concerned about breaking the law, they shouldn't do this mod, since by the books, it may be illegal.
If someone extremely concern about breaking the law so much. Then i don't think they should even buy the IS350. With that much power you will likely to break the law by speeding even sometime you don't even realize that because the car are so smooth and fast. They should buy a Honda Insight Hybrid instead.
It's just a very simple mod. Like I said there're a lot of car out there that have red signal, if it so dangerous and illegal the car makers had thought about it already
Old 01-10-06, 01:39 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tim817
If someone extremely concern about breaking the law so much. Then i don't think they should even buy the IS350. With that much power you will likely to break the law by speeding even sometime you don't even realize that because the car are so smooth and fast. They should buy a Honda Insight Hybrid instead.
It's just a very simple mod. Like I said there're a lot of car out there that have red signal, if it so dangerous and illegal the car makers had thought about it already
It's not the red lights themselves that are dangerous. The reason it is illegal is because of what can happen when you do mods. For example, if you open up your light enclosure and you don't know what you are doing, you could probably mess things up. Or what if you use a kind of tape/wrap that is not transparent enough, and makes the the turn light hard to see. I'm sure everyone here knows what they are doing and only performs safe mods. Unfortunately, you can't write a law that says, "You can only do XYZ if you are not a dumba$$." This is why it is illegal.

Also, you are certainly able to enjoy the capabilities of your IS350 without breaking the law. What's fun about the car isn't its top speed - it's the acceleration and handling. These can both be enjoyed at speeds that are within the limits of the law (or just a little above )
Old 01-24-06, 10:23 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I used the Universal Red-Out Tail Light Wrap Kits bought from Ebay. I really like this mod. If you do it right, no one will be able to tell the taillights have vinyl in them. Make sure after you put the vinyl , trim it right at the line around the amber part.
Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tail-...0765QQtcZphoto
I just got this red tail light wrap today in the mail and before I go installing it I wanna make sure I'm doing it right. You say that you trimmed right at the line around the amber part, but when I look at the photos it looks like you guys are just using a square that is slightly bigger then the amber part and sticking the vinyl to it.
Old 01-24-06, 12:01 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

I'd be more worried about getting a tinted windows ticket, then getting bothered
by cops about the all red tailights.. I think you guys give cops too much credit, I don't
think they'd even notice.. (That's if most of them even knew it was illegal)..lol

Last edited by Tony1; 01-27-06 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 09:04 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
I just got this red tail light wrap today in the mail and before I go installing it I wanna make sure I'm doing it right. You say that you trimmed right at the line around the amber part, but when I look at the photos it looks like you guys are just using a square that is slightly bigger then the amber part and sticking the vinyl to it.
Let us know how it goes and how you end up cutting it!
Old 01-25-06, 09:14 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jherb350
Looking good, this is the first thing I did when I got home. Not a big fan of the amber.
Looks good, same question, how much did you overlap the orange plastic? Or did you just cut right on the edge of the orange?
Old 01-25-06, 09:25 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Looks good, same question, how much did you overlap the orange plastic? Or did you just cut right on the edge of the orange?
I overlaped the amber for placement and waited till it set before I trimmed. I cut close the the amber edges, haven't had a chance to take a pic of it yet. I'll try to get one this week.

DIY
Old 01-25-06, 09:27 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with you...

beside, how many people out there blink anyway pissed me off

which size did you get for your tail light paper???
Old 01-25-06, 09:30 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jherb350
I overlaped the amber for placement and waited till it set before I trimmed. I cut close the the amber edges, haven't had a chance to take a pic of it yet. I'll try to get one this week.

DIY
Were you worried about cutting into the tail light, when you trimmed the edges? What tools are all needed for the application?

Thanks!

BTW, for anyone thinking of this mod, you can buy direct and save a few bucks on shipping here:
http://www.rvinyl.com/cart/store.php...on=show_detail
Old 01-25-06, 09:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm assuming these install just like window tint. I'm kind worried about installing mine and making the cuts as well and making sure there are not air bubbles. The other thing that worries me is car washes. How embarrasing would that be to come out of a car wash and all the people seeing red vinyl hanging off the rear tail light.
Old 01-25-06, 10:24 AM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

Part of why I like orange turn signals is that they help to differentiate between the brake and the turn signal. If you are in a position where you can only see one tail light of a car in front of you (such as, the car is one lane over from you in heavy traffic), then it is much easier to tell the difference between braking and turning signals when you have orange for turning. Another thing is that the front turn signals are stil orange, so I like the consistency - orange lights mean turning, on the front and on the back.
I agree 100%. I like to see the yellow so I know that some one is turning. The all red color only reminds me of old american cars while the yellow color reminds me of european cars. In fact, I would even look into what mod to do from cars that are all red to change them to have a yellow light for turns.

I also like the turn signals behind the front wheels or on the side mirrors that lots of new cars have.

To each their own...
Old 01-25-06, 02:59 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm assuming these install just like window tint. I'm kind worried about installing mine and making the cuts as well and making sure there are not air bubbles. The other thing that worries me is car washes. How embarrasing would that be to come out of a car wash and all the people seeing red vinyl hanging off the rear tail light.
I used light pressure with an exacto knife and a straight edge, then folded the vinyl over the straight edge and peeled back.

As for air bubbles I used a hair dryer, than waited a couple of days for them to completely dry out. Haven't had them come yet using the high pressure water at the do it yourself car wash.

See my DIY
Old 01-25-06, 03:17 PM
AntLexus
Rookie

if i wanted the amber lights back for some reason would i be able to reverse the process by simply peeling off the vinyl? would there be any residue left over or would it be clean like nothing has been done at all?

Quick Reply: Red-out taillights and spoiler PICS...