IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 12:48 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

The e-break light won't be on. All you need to do is cut off the red wire (pin 23 on J51) connector and connect it to the frame (bracket on the side, 8mm bolt) of you navigation.
It works great in my case!!!
Old 12-26-15, 05:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's me, post #2, almost 10 years ago thanking the OP for posting the most exciting hack for the IS back in the day when our cars were new. Recently I've had some major work done to my 06 IS350 and the main wiring harness had to be replaced. Obviously Lexus didn't reconnect the hack for me so I'll have to do this all over again. It would be perfect if I were selling the car but I'm keeping it for a long long time and I miss watching videos on the Nav screen from my iPod using Vaistech. So my question is....Is this still the preferred method or has something newer and easier come along? If there are other more viable options (that aren't too expensive), I'd rather just research into those rather than hack the system again (which IIRC wasn't too difficult). Personally I think this was the best mod ever.

Last edited by kensteele; 12-26-15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 01:19 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
That's me, post #2, almost 10 years ago thanking the OP for posting the most exciting hack for the IS back in the day when our cars were new. Recently I've had some major work done to my 06 IS350 and the main wiring harness had to be replaced. Obviously Lexus didn't reconnect the hack for me so I'll have to do this all over again. It would be perfect if I were selling the car but I'm keeping it for a long long time and I miss watching videos on the Nav screen from my iPod using Vaistech. So my question is....Is this still the preferred method or has something newer and easier come along? If there are other more viable options (that aren't too expensive), I'd rather just research into those rather than hack the system again (which IIRC wasn't too difficult). Personally I think this was the best mod ever.
BeatSonic harness, plug and play no cutting or splicing needed. Around $150-200.
Old 10-24-16, 10:49 AM
vinz8
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Read many pages of this, I'm needing this done for the DVD while driving hack
Can anyone please post a photo of the red wire + GROUNDING on where to ground?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-16, 11:36 AM
vinz8
Rookie

Can anyone please post a photo of the red wire + GROUNDING on where to ground?
Old 11-07-16, 05:58 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You can ground to the metal bracket that's all around the stereo.
Old 11-08-16, 02:07 PM
vinz8
Rookie

Can you please post a picture of the red wire? Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-16, 10:11 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I didn't do this hack as I don't have the system. All I know is that if you're looking to ground the wire, you can connect to the places where I circled them in red by connecting a wire to any of the locations. You can double check the grounding by using an ohm meter.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving-capture.png  
Old 11-23-16, 01:49 PM
cranearaba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black and White Lines!!

Originally Posted by Nikon
here's a pic of what i'm talking about.

i can't believe this happened. i've been eyeing this mod for months and finally get around to devoting an afternoon to it and feel confident in doing it, it all goes perfectly smooth, and then put it all back together and turn it on... DOESN'T WORK. no map or destination or anything will even show at all.

maybe i should have disconnected the battery or something before doing anything? i thought about it but of course didn't. *****.
Did you manage to resolve this issue, I know it's a while back. just bought a replacement for my car and I am getting this lines.
Exact problem as you
Old 11-23-16, 10:39 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cranearaba
Did you manage to resolve this issue, I know it's a while back. just bought a replacement for my car and I am getting this lines.
Exact problem as you
Oh man! I was really thinking of doing this mod till i saw this.. damn.
Old 02-27-17, 04:07 PM
UpstateSC
Driver School Candidate

Alright gang. I know I'm bumping a really old thread but I have a couple of questions I just can't seem to find the complete answers to. I have a 2010 IS250C that has factory navigation and no Mark Levinson. I was able to pick up a ML radio from a 2010. They are identical in terms of connectors, three total to be exact. These tutorials all seem to show the pre 2010 units that have different connectors. All the step by step threads reference a video cable being necessary between the ML units and the screen assembly. The 2010-2012 don't seem to have place for that connector on the radio. So, do you have to have a video cable for the 2010-2012 non ML to ML swap in order to see video?
Second question is if I can swap in the ML radio and have video where is the red wire on the 2010-2012 wire harnesses that is found at J50 on the pre-2010 cars that gets grounded? I see a couple of red wires in the factory harnesses in my car. Only one connector seems to have a pink and red wire in it. I'm guessing it's the connector that I'm looking for?
Anyone who's done this and used a ML radio able to give any input? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-04-17, 02:58 PM
UpstateSC
Driver School Candidate

Alright, answering some of my own questions in case someone else tries to figure this out. If you have a 2010 (and I presume a 2011 or 2012) you can just swap in a Mark Levinson radio and everything will work: DVD, USB, AUX, BT, everything. No extra wires needed, everything plugs right up just the same.
Still didn't get the ground wire correct for video in motion. I cut and grounded the red wire in the J100 harness because it looked like it was the parking brake wire according to the 2010 wiring diagram someone posted. Tried grounding both sides, body side and plug side, neither way worked. It still blocked out the video unless the brake was on. Wound up just putting that wire back together.
Old 05-12-19, 02:36 AM
racer761
Driver School Candidate

hello folks,
i just performed the navi hack, did connect the pink wire to the white/silver one (see pic).
guess what?! it does NOT work!
instead of input adresses during driving, i can access the folder list of my music cd's while driving now?!?

i did not ground the red wire since i am not interested in watching dvd's while driving.
i have a 2007 IS250, ML System, european model.

whats wrong?
Old 10-04-20, 09:29 AM
Hafiz
Driver School Candidate

Default UK lexus is250

Originally Posted by tim817
Thanks to Muzzman1 and Lexus_x_2 for the info to bypass the Nav system. I just have it done this morning and it's working great. Now i can Dial the phone number, change MP3 folder and access to a lot of functions on the Navigation when the car is moving. I didn't have ML so no DVD player in my car, shoulda had it. But if you have the ML this hack will enable the DVD screen to play when your car is moving.

Here's the DYI step by step:

Duration: 30 minutes
1.)Remove the sliver pieces to the right and left of the wood trim on either side ot the shifter....they are simply held in with clips, they come out up/back diagonally

2.) Re move the shift **** by turning it counterclockwise.

3.)Remove the shifter plate assembly by opening the ashtray door and pull up with your fingers (i slid the armrest back) it is also held in with simple clips.

4.)Remove ashtray assy (two phillips screws)

5.)If you look in the top of the air vents you will see four 1/4" holes in the two vents. If you gently insert a flat head scewdriver at about a 45 degree angle up into the holes and gently pry down you will see that a plastic clip will come down with the driver and clip into a down position....do this to all four...then with a "plastic" pry tool, pry the vents out ...the dash is very forgiving....it will not dent...(at least mine did not) and pull the vents out again they are held in with astandard clips....This was the hard part

6.)Remove the Nav unit . There are 4 10mm bols holding in the complete NAV assy....remove them and you are set

7.)Cut the PINK wire located on connector J50 and the WHITE (with silver paint) wire on connector P1.
After cutting the Pink and White wires, you put a cap on the wires comming from the Navigation unit. You then connect the Pink (wireloom side) and White (wireloom side) wires together.

*** Note if you have ML and want it to play DVD when moving. You will need to GROUND the parking break wire also. It's the RED wire on the J50 connector.
Have a Happy New Year everyone

MOD NOTE: This hack will NOT enable destination entry while moving. If you wish to have destination entry while moving, you will also need to do a hybrid 5.1 Override DVD, or use a switch as shown in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...witch-diy.html
hi i would like to find out if the hack will work for lexus is250 in the UK 🇬🇧 .thanks hope to hear from you