IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Fob Not Detected - Please help!

Old 12-21-05, 12:09 AM
Vjammin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's not working either. At the dealer ship we reprogrammed it to open all doors. I took off and when I got home it wasn't working. I need to unlock the car with the remote...but the car does start. I'll look into the autosensing thing and see if it helps. Kinda weird though.
Old 12-24-05, 11:14 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Still Unsolved ...

Given the holidays, the soon to be 4 week old IS350 will have been in the shop 1 week come tuesday. They THINK it has to do with the 'control center', but are not positive.

If anyone else has had this problem, or has any ideas, please join in,
Old 12-25-05, 04:22 PM
Vjammin
Driver School Candidate

Hey jdmba I think I know what your problem might be. My car was working fine at the dealership and when I drove it home it stopped working. I hope this works: Make sure you don't have your spare key in the car. If both keys are close by the car it won't work. As soon as I took my spare out of the car, it started working again. Goodluck. There is also a page on the manual that will tell you some reasons of it not working. Found this information from there.
Old 12-26-05, 11:48 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks ... but ...

Thanks for the tip ... I am glad your car is working!

I don't think, if it has been to 2 dealers, and the 2nd dealer (who was also the seller) has had it for a week (tomorrow), that it is such a simple fix.

Hopefully we will get an update tomorrow.
Old 12-28-05, 07:54 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default It will be at least another week

Got an update yesterday.

So far, they have replaced the master computer and the key fobs. However, because they didn't also replace the immobilizer, the immobilizer kicked in on seeing the new parts.

They have ordered an immobilizer, but since the car is so new to market, it has to come from Japan. Lexus corporate will be dispatching one of their mechanics to oversee the installation, and integration of the three items.

They predict at least a week before they get the part. At that point, the car will have spent 50% of our ownership of it, in the shop.

Ugh
Old 12-28-05, 09:00 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdmba
Got an update yesterday.

They predict at least a week before they get the part. At that point, the car will have spent 50% of our ownership of it, in the shop.

Ugh
I assume you got a loaner?
Old 12-28-05, 09:35 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Of Course

Yup. All Lexus dealers are required to provide a loaner Lexus vehicle for any service.
Old 01-06-06, 06:13 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i went to use my second keyfob for the first time the other day and it didnt work..so i figured it just needed to be reprogrammed..and then i took the key out and went to lock my glove box and the key doesnt work either! isnt that weird?? im thinking either its not the key for my car or it wasnt programmed or cut! anyone else have a problem like this?
Old 01-07-06, 09:12 PM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default Got it back

We got the car back from the second repair attempt today. We have owned the car since 12/1/05, and it has spent 19 days in the shop.

Anyway, they wound up having to replace the key fobs, the main computer, and the security sensors. You cannot replace one without all 3 or the car will lock out. You cannot take parts from an existing car to replace any of them because the car will lock out.

Anyway, they got a new computer from Japan last week, and realized they needed a new security sensor (there are 2) which they couldn't cannibalize. They had to order the new sensor (they already had the key fobs), and once they put all three in, with the help of Lexus, the car worked.

At least it worked today. Let's see what happens.

The report showed 18.5 hours of work and $1700 in parts. Of course it was free, but it was almost $3,000 in repairs.
Old 01-08-06, 02:27 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems really odd how it worked since the car was made in the factory and in the dealership but not after it's sold.

I'm thinking the probem is the immobilizer. The signals for the keys on the fob are not likely to be encrypted so they should work. The fob probably works fine and the problem is with the RF sensors in the car. Im taking a shot in the dark but the car could have had its immobilizer triggered. How I'm not sure.
Old 01-08-06, 11:12 AM
jdmba
Driver School Candidate

Default The tech notes read as follows ...

Inspected vehicles for keys inside vehicle. Found 2 original keys on center console.

Inspected operation of Smart Key: Not working propertly.

Inspected ECU for Codes: None Found.

Reprogram Both keys and system cound't register gkeys.

Called TAS for further Info.

Traced problem to certification ECY for smart access.

Removed Cert. Box ECU and and swapped with known good vehicle.

Attempted to reprogram othercert ECU to VEH. ICLE and Program Failed.

Reset System on vehicle's immobilizer and smart ECU and tried to reprogram keys to vehicle: Failed.

Reinstalled original ECO and resert system on known good vehicle and then transfer engine cert ecu, pcuy box, and keys and tried to program in guest vehicle: Failed.

Contacted Lexus.

Attempted to reset: Failed.

Ordered new box and keys. Removed Dak to replace ID box for immobilizer. Replaced cert box. Inspected data list on monitor and compterd to known good vehicle: All readings OK.

Registered 2 new keys to vehicle: Vehicle accepted keys.

Attempted to start: Vehicle would not start.

Programmed steering ECU ato keys then jumped TC to CG for ECUS to communicate and waited 30 minutes.

Attempted to start vehicle after 30 minutes and vehicle started and smart key system working.

All reported conditions related to this resolution.
Old 01-09-06, 01:27 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vjammin
Hey jdmba I think I know what your problem might be. My car was working fine at the dealership and when I drove it home it stopped working. I hope this works: Make sure you don't have your spare key in the car. If both keys are close by the car it won't work. As soon as I took my spare out of the car, it started working again. Goodluck. There is also a page on the manual that will tell you some reasons of it not working. Found this information from there.
I just had this problem and when I left my spare key at home it worked...