IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...

Old 12-16-05, 10:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...

Many of you have been asking the question...is the ML worth it? How does it sound?

Arlington Lexus in Palatine had a Blue Onyx Pearl loaded with NAV and the ML system. Spoke with the head honcho there and he said "drop on by - take a listen" They had already moved the car into the showroom prior to my arrival so I wouldn't have to spend time in a cold car. Nice of them! Since there were customers in the showroom, they asked me to keep it at a civil level of loudness. No problem.

The ML/NAV system controls are quite similar to the ones found in the GS as well as the LS and other models. Once when you get used to one of them, you're pretty much set for all of them. DSP/SOUND menus, L/R balance, F/R balance as well as the usual Bass, Mid and Treble adjustments. Took all of 30 seconds to get familiar with the system again.

Taking a quick glance around, I saw the center channel as well as the other drivers, especially the titanium tweeters located in each A pillar.

Powering on the system, I half expected the ML system to perform like the GS (poorly) and not at all like the LS430. I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED... read on...

NOTICE!!!! For those that know me and my "rep" on the board, I have very critical ears. What I may pick out will usuallly not be picked out by the UNTRAINED ear, that is, if you're not really familiar with how music SHOULD sound, or have not been active in an orchestra or choir, then you may not notice the differences that I can. I'm gearing this review to a more "advanced listener". Many "average" ears will say that a BOSE system will sound outstanding, as well as a Kraco equipped system. I will get kinda technical in terms such as soundstage, height and width as well as a bunch of descriptions. It doesn't take much to train the ear on WHAT to listen for, much like an infant doesn't know what the color "blue" is, only to be taught later that the sky (in good conditions and daylight) is usually "blue".

My reference will be compared to two standards. ONE...LEXUS LS430 ML system. TWO...Sony SCD-1 modified home CD/SACD player with modified Dynaudio Audience 50 speakers. Settings for the ML are Bass +2, Mid FLAT, Treble +3. They were adjusted to what sounded closest to my home system and were readjusted with different tracks, but they stayed at the settings listed above.

CD LOADING....whirrrr....

"Breathe .. 2am" Anna Nalick's voice is a bit on the deeper side with my home Dyns. The ML system potrays most of her voice nicely, though there seems to be a wide ranging peak around 400hz, that is, it makes her sound like she has a cold. DSP SURROUND ON. The width and height of the staging is nowhere near the home setup. The way that the ML has their DSP setup is to focus almost all of the energy to the front center channel. The width of the stage is no more than 2 feet...VERY VERY narrow. Height of the staging is good, just a touch below eye level. I tried different mid settings, but it was either worse, or even more worse, so the best sounding setting was left at FLAT. This also brings up another concern...the ML 2.5 inch center seemed to have the 400hz "hollow" sound built in. SO, It may NOT be the DSPs fault at all, but it may POSSIBLY be that of a less than ideal speaker.

DSP SURROUND OFF. Width of stage has improved slightly, but the dynamics and "speed" have dropped significantly. Treble was not as good as with the DSP SURROUND ON.

"Avril Lavigne", "I'm with you." The violin intro on my home Dyns...you can almost pick off how much rosin they're using on the violin bow. Lots of harmonics from the strings/bow/rosin. A good thing. The ML seems much "simpler" by comparison, not nearly as many harmonics, nor as much resolution. Once again, the soundstage is hugely different. With the home Dyns, the staging was at least 15, possibly 20 feet wide, and these are from speakers about 5 feet apart. Guess what...the IS350 has the advantage of speaker width...they're closer to 6 feet apart, but they only relay a soundstage of about two feet in width. Once again, the DSP is a factor. There are parts to Avril's song that has some high hats, very delicately done. With the home system, they're rendered very very well. With the ML/IS350, they rendered ok, but not with all the decay. A "flatter" rendition.

"Standing Still, Jewel". Now here's a VERY well recorded song. One that will reward you even on the Dynaudio Confidence 4's that I auditioned a few weeks ago. (they're 18,000 dollar speakers...and one of the few "high buck" speakers that got it right). Jewel's vocals were compressed, or quite a bit flatter if you will when compared to my home system. That 400hz nasal quality (or lack of if you will) was still there.

"Break away, Kelly Clarkson". Pretty much the same result as above...vocals were a bit compressed sounding.

I played quite a few more tracks, then I realized something...
FOR A STOCK CAR SYSTEM, THIS WASN"T AT ALL BAD!!!! In fact, it would rate as 2nd when compared to the LS430 for the Lexus/sedan lineup. I was in the car for about 1/2 an hour and STILL listening. With the GS/ML, I wanted to get out of there to prevent any further insult to my ears and hearing damage. Even got a chance to listen to Volvo/Dynaudio system, though they had the DSP tuned BRIGHT. No nasal qualities though and I've read that the Volvo system needs a head unit changeout to sound better. (from one volvo hu to another volvo hu).

There are a couple of things that can be improved though. One is to use a better center channel driver. No matter what settings I had on there, it would always render a nasal quality to the music. It may have been tuned by a person with some hearing damage as that region may also be affected. My guess though, is the driver/speaker. There was some sibilance, underdamping going on with it too, and it got annoying. That's IF you knew what to listen for.

The other improvement...change out the staging rendition for the DSP. A two foot wide stage with the DSP SURROUND ON is barely acceptable. The LS430 kicked some major butt on this as it's the closest thing to a decent home system.

BUT, even with all my nitpicks and complaints, the ML/IS350 system is a STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. Is it worth the money? Bang for the buck, I would have to say "yes", but I haven't listened to a stock IS 2nd gen system for a fair comparison. Is it the system that ML touted in their fancy brochures and ads? I would have to say NO. There need to be lots of improvements done.

And for those reviewers that say the ML is an "outstanding" system, sound quality wise, they're probably the same ones that think that Bose is the king of high end. Newsflash to "average" listener...they're not.

Bottom line to Lexus...Not bad. Keep improving. For the average ear, I would highly recommend it. For the person that's experienced in high end, ultra resolving systems, I would also say "yes" but improve upon it with better drivers/speakers. Worth the wait? YEP. Good bang for the buck. And thankfully, MUCH better than the GS/ML that I listened to. Not quite up to LS430/ML, but getting better.

Percy
Old 12-16-05, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

very nice review there percy! so let me get this straight. you think the ML system on the IS is better than that on the GS?

and also, you still think the ML system on the ls430 (01+) is better than these? coz' i thought the 06 GS and IS they have "better" more updated systems already?

good to read all these man
Old 12-17-05, 03:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

eh, should delete all those posts about IS ML system that you wrote before you listened it :-).
For 1,000, you cant even start to do things in aftermarket, it is great bang for the buck.
Old 12-17-05, 05:37 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if Lexus put a better-sounding system in their "entry" car vs the flagship--they've got their head screwed on backward. I wouldn't say I've got golden ears (I agree Bose is crap), and I wouldn't say there's a night-and-day difference between IS's ML and the stock in my RX330 (I've never heard the ML in a GS, so can't comment on that), but it is loud and clear, and in general quite good. One thing I didn't like is that ASL only has on/off setting. When the car picks up speed, the volume gets appreciatably louder (too loud) compared to rest. The bass is a bit shy at 0, but treble is plenty bright. Overall I think it's a worthwhile upgrade, esp for those of us who rather not mess with aftermarket components and its associated complexities.
Old 12-17-05, 07:10 AM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried the ML system with true DVD-Audio discs? In my home system, I have both SACD and DVD-A capabilities. I have 2 all-time great albums in DVD-Audio (Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery) which sound like nothing else on my home system. I would be curious if the ML system in the IS 250 would have as accurate front to rear separation and resolution.
Old 12-17-05, 08:34 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh, should delete all those posts about IS ML system that you wrote before you listened it :-).
For 1,000, you cant even start to do things in aftermarket, it is great bang for the buck.
eh, all my posts about the IS/GS ML system still hold true. A few will tend to twist them out of context.

Percy
Old 12-17-05, 11:51 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice review there percy! so let me get this straight. you think the ML system on the IS is better than that on the GS?

and also, you still think the ML system on the ls430 (01+) is better than these? coz' i thought the 06 GS and IS they have "better" more updated systems already?

good to read all these man
Definitely think the ML/IS is MUCH better than the ML/GS. I wanted to get out of the car after 15 minutes with the GS...with the IS, I kept listening.

LS430 ML still takes the cake. That's the one that Lexus should use as a model for all of their systems. If ML is advanced as it thinks it is, they should be able to TRY to reproduce the same quality of sound in the IS as it did in the LS. They really need to revamp the GS.

Percy
Old 12-17-05, 01:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy

Bottom line to Lexus...Not bad. Keep improving. For the average ear, I would highly recommend it. For the person that's experienced in high end, ultra resolving systems, I would also say "yes" but improve upon it with better drivers/speakers. Worth the wait? YEP. Good bang for the buck. And thankfully, MUCH better than the GS/ML that I listened to. Not quite up to LS430/ML, but getting better.

Percy
Finally, a convincing review from a definitive audio guru. Thank you.
Old 12-18-05, 12:58 AM
hashs99
Driver

i saw that car today!!! Is it yours??? The blue looked really nice, my salesman said it was already sold.
Old 12-18-05, 02:20 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the writeup Percy
Can't wait to have a listen myself.
Old 12-18-05, 06:26 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Very impressive write up Percy.....

as I am a dealer and still haven't gotten my hands on an IS with Mark Levinson. Percy, you should seriously consider designing sound systems for manufacturers. It is sorely needed as you know. When the LS430 ML system was designed it was Mark Levinson himself that took on the challenge. The SC430 was next. This was the first Digital Sound Processing experience for Lexus owners after Nakamichi was dropped for not allowing its circuits to be merged with the Denso Nav system. The result was a 90% drop in Total Harmonic Distortion!

The RX series Mark Levinson does not have a dramatic difference in fidelity as compared to the stock Pioneer. It adds a center channel driver and that helps somewhat....

The GS ML system that assails your sensitive ear drums was the first of the 2nd generation ML systems and the first to offer 5.1 DTS surround sound with a 7.1 speaker layout. It increased the amplification power to over 300 Watts. My eardrums are worn from the 60's abuse yet I agree that the Titanium tweeters are scratchy bright and require some antenuation. I found your comments about the staging the most interesting because the whole purpose of the 7.1 architecture ( 7 speaker locations and one subwoofer) is to increase the sweet spot from a narrow intersection to include at least one ear of any of the driver/passengers. When listening to a conventional CD I prefer the Surround Sound turned off. When I play a DVD-A like the previously mentioned Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery in its full 5.1 glory I am transported back in time to the concerts of the 60's. While shopping for Christmas gifts I picked up Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in SACD which I will unwrap when the first IS ML system comes in. Pink Floyd was one of the first groups to perform in 4 channels live and liked to play tricks with discrete channel rotation. With all of the sound effects in the movies the Mark Levinson system is probably best displayed with a movie DVD. In Hero with Jet Li the scene when all of the arrows are launched will start behind you and then the flight passes overhead and then they all land in front of you. Lord of the Rings and even Harry Potter are full of effects. The beginning of Gladiator gets me all charged up in Dolby 5.1 too.

I like the fact that the Mark Levinson is held to the standard of your home system. If I understand you correctly there is a peak in response in the center channel at 400 Hz. Is this a crossover overlap or the natural harmonic resonance of the driver? Thanks to you I will now try to listen for the nasal quality in the vocal reproduction of the female artists. The tonal warmth of the human voice is an excellent test of any sound system. Kathleen Battle would be a good choice. Joni Mitchell from my era also.

Lastly since the interior space is smaller in the IS there shoud be more of a headphone effect. The Pioneer DVD head unit hands off to the Mark Levinson discrete amps and drivers and this marriage should be harmonious if Percy gives it his blessing....

Thanks for the critical ear and explanations, Percy. You are the best.

Rock
Old 12-18-05, 08:09 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Percy
And for those reviewers that say the ML is an "outstanding" system, sound quality wise, they're probably the same ones that think that Bose is the king of high end. Newsflash to "average" listener...they're not.

Percy
Percy, everything is relative. ML system is OUTSTANDING compared to other stock stereo systems elsewhere. You should not generalized that everyone who has ever said that the ML is excellent is an "average" listener...and not worthy of your "audio guru" status.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE. You're comparing the ML system to your HOME system. Granted, the LS430 ML system is great...and i doubt that any ML system will match it...until the next LS comes out. Bottom line, the LS430 ML is excellent because it is in Lexus top executive model costing twice that of IS. IT SHOULD BEAT ALL OTHER ML SYSTEM! I would bet my left nut that the next LS460 ML system will beat the current system. You get what you pay for.

Name me 2 other OEM systems (besides Lexus) that beat the IS350 system...you cannot. And you get it for $1000.

You are being extremely bias in your review, Percy. In the past, you have slammed Lexus ML systems because they cannot match your home system or your $10K system in your car. WTF?! Who the hell can?! No one is crazy enough to spend over $10K on a car system...except you. Are you trying to justify your system by slamming Lexus ML's system, costing barely $1K?!! Totally ridiculous.

Lexus ML system is top-notch for OEM industry. It is relatively cheap...the performance of the ML system canNOT be matched by aftermarket parts IF you stay within the price range of the ML system. Period. End of discussion.
Old 12-18-05, 08:33 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by hashs99
i saw that car today!!! Is it yours??? The blue looked really nice, my salesman said it was already sold.
WOW! It was only a couple of days ago that I was in that car! Not surprising it sold so quickly. It's not mine though...if it was I would already be tearing apart the sound system trying to improve it.

Agreed...it's a beautiful car!

Percy
Old 12-18-05, 08:50 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Percy, everything is relative. ML system is OUTSTANDING compared to other stock stereo systems elsewhere. You should not generalized that everyone who has ever said that the ML is excellent is an "average" listener...and not worthy of your "audio guru" status.

IT'S ALL RELATIVE. You're comparing the ML system to your HOME system. Granted, the LS430 ML system is great...and i doubt that any ML system will match it...until the next LS comes out. Bottom line, the LS430 ML is excellent because it is in Lexus top executive model costing twice that of IS. IT SHOULD BEAT ALL OTHER ML SYSTEM! I would bet my left nut that the next LS460 ML system will beat the current system. You get what you pay for.

Name me 2 other OEM systems (besides Lexus) that beat the IS350 system...you cannot. And you get it for $1000.

You are being extremely bias in your review, Percy. In the past, you have slammed Lexus ML systems because they cannot match your home system or your $10K system in your car. WTF?! Who the hell can?! No one is crazy enough to spend over $10K on a car system...except you. Are you trying to justify your system by slamming Lexus ML's system, costing barely $1K?!! Totally ridiculous.

Lexus ML system is top-notch for OEM industry. It is relatively cheap...the performance of the ML system canNOT be matched by aftermarket parts IF you stay within the price range of the ML system. Period. End of discussion.

Percy
Old 12-18-05, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99

well, if we want to talk about the true performance of the ML system, iw ould rather hear it from someone super professional, and maybe even compared it with some championship systems rather than just some normal people out there. i rathe hear something very critical and something so detail that i can't even hear. again, that's IF we are talking about true performance.

if we talk about normal use, we all know that ML system is better than a lot of other stock systems in the market.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson IS350 THE AUDITION...