IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smoked Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 10:49 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked Taillights

Does anyone know if they make smoked taillights on the New IS yet? Can you just go to a local tint shop and tell them to just tint the taillights? I know some tint shops use a special kind of tint different from the normal tint they use on windows and use those on the taillights. They are like a little bit thicker. Do you guys know if they have them or can cut them out for the new IS?

What do you think they used on this IS in SEMA. Thanks

Old 12-14-05, 12:41 AM
pita2go
Driver

hum.. i know you can make your own.. basically you get translucent tint spray paint.. and you give it 3 coats.. and put a clear coat over it.. and it shall be done.. make sure you let it dry in between coats though..
Old 12-14-05, 01:13 AM
maz
Lead Lap

When I first saw pics of the IS, I new smoked taillights would fit this car well. Too bad they're illegal in cali.
Old 12-14-05, 07:43 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
When I first saw pics of the IS, I new smoked taillights would fit this car well. Too bad they're illegal in cali.
So are tinted side windows, but everyone does it.
Old 12-14-05, 07:54 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
So are tinted side windows, but everyone does it.
You guys can at least have SOME

We're one of five states that can't have ANY
Old 12-14-05, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
I thought they are legal, just as long as you don't tint the center brake light (at the window for the IS)? Anyone can confirm?
Old 12-14-05, 11:01 AM
business1s
Driver School Candidate

i'm not familiar with the law here in cali, but i will say this my black vette had blacked out taillights and i never had a problem in 5 years of ownership
Old 12-14-05, 01:17 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pita2go
hum.. i know you can make your own.. basically you get translucent tint spray paint.. and you give it 3 coats.. and put a clear coat over it.. and it shall be done.. make sure you let it dry in between coats though..
Ya, but i dont wanna paint it coz just in case i get pulled over or something and i would have to remove it. Then i would have to buy new taillights. So does anyone know where i can get this thicker film material and get it installed? Can i get it at a local tint shop?
Old 12-14-05, 02:03 PM
Vjammin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phillip31
Ya, but i dont wanna paint it coz just in case i get pulled over or something and i would have to remove it. Then i would have to buy new taillights. So does anyone know where i can get this thicker film material and get it installed? Can i get it at a local tint shop?
I got mine done at my body shop. He said all they did is use the regular tint and put a clear coat on top. I have it on a Black GTI and haven't been pulled over for it yet. I've been pulled over for my window tints but they never mentioned anything about my tail lights. I think if you can see your tail lights clearly at night you're ok. Your brake lights should be pretty bright too. I would assume the only reason they could give you a ticket is if its dangerous to the people behind you, not being able to see you because of the lack of light.

How do you guys think it'll look on a tungsten pearl IS? I want to tint the windows and the tail lights but been getting mixed reviews from friends.
Old 12-14-05, 02:44 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
You guys can at least have SOME

We're one of five states that can't have ANY
From the California Vehicle Code...

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.
Old 12-14-05, 03:33 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vjammin
I got mine done at my body shop. He said all they did is use the regular tint and put a clear coat on top. I have it on a Black GTI and haven't been pulled over for it yet. I've been pulled over for my window tints but they never mentioned anything about my tail lights. I think if you can see your tail lights clearly at night you're ok. Your brake lights should be pretty bright too. I would assume the only reason they could give you a ticket is if its dangerous to the people behind you, not being able to see you because of the lack of light.

How do you guys think it'll look on a tungsten pearl IS? I want to tint the windows and the tail lights but been getting mixed reviews from friends.
I have a tungston 350 and I just had limo tint put on all the windows. It really gives the car a good look. Definately recomend it.
Old 12-14-05, 06:33 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vjammin

I've called around several body shops and tint shops most of them say they don't do it. I've only gotten two places where they said they could paint it, but not put that film on it. Is painting it the real way to smoke the taillights? Or do most people just put that tint film on it?
Old 12-14-05, 09:02 PM
pita2go
Driver

except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.[/i]
what are those?
Old 12-15-05, 09:53 AM
Vjammin
Driver School Candidate

I think the proper way is to put that vinyl film on it. I'm not sure if my body shop used that or just used regular tint film. Whatever he used it looks decent. I will ask him and get back to you. I can post a pic so you can see what it looks like too.
Old 12-15-05, 11:21 AM
Cypren
Driver

From the California Vehicle Code...

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.
That last section is the relevant part, because it describes the exceptions to the rule.

26708. (d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Quick Reply: Smoked Taillights