Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 10:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i beg to differ - both trc and vsc off switches before used to work up to certain level - they would simply move the treshold to much, much higher level, but they were not turned off completly.

Even today, can you do an real burnout with trc off, or does it re-activate due to simply too much wheelspin? (and below 30-35 mph).

Keep in mind that main reason for trc off switch is to be able to move car in snow when trc would simply make it impossible...
You can do a partial burnout, but it will cut off once enough wheel spin is detected to 30-35mph (TRAC OFF). Full wheelspin with engine bouncing off rev limiter wont happen on just TRAC OFF obviously.

Have you ever driven the new IS350 or 250 for that matter and tried these functions with and without the VSC defeat? I have.

Again the point here is, the VSC defeat has been found and works on the New IS...not a 100% VDIM defeat.

Edit: Checked with my sources, because of legality, they cannot disclose how to fully defeat VDIM and confirm or deny the VSC defeat feature found in the Avalon owners manual.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-29-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-29-05, 10:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
You can do a partial burnout, but it will cut off once enough wheel spin is detected to 30-35mph (TRAC OFF). Full wheelspin with engine bouncing off rev limiter wont happen on just TRAC OFF obviously.

Have you ever driven the new IS350 or 250 for that matter and tried these functions with and without the VSC defeat? I have.

Again the point here is, the VSC defeat has been found and works on the New IS...not a 100% VDIM defeat.

Edit: Checked with my sources, because of legality, they cannot disclose how to fully defeat VDIM and confirm or deny the VSC defeat feature found in the Avalon owners manual.
nope, not yet. Hopefully, when it comes here in 2 months, I shall (IS220d). Nevertheless, as I said, previous VSC and TRC could never be turned off completly. I have driven enough of Toyota's and been to enough of new car trainings that after hearing it some 50 times of , it tends to get hammerd in :-).
Old 12-02-05, 03:56 PM
pita2go
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeez i don't even have the car yet and i want to do it..
Old 02-07-06, 11:31 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

does anyone know if turning off VSC/Traction Control works for AWD???
Old 02-08-06, 12:59 AM
krookid
Driver

Yeah it works for awd but it doesn't really kick in all that often amyways so its kinda pointless imo
Old 02-08-06, 06:30 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

The VDIM seems to have a dedicated fuse (see manual).

Has anyone tried pulling that fuse to see if the VDIM control is removed (since pulling fuse is a fairly safe method to inactivate circuitry)?
Old 02-08-06, 11:31 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krookid
Yeah it works for awd but it doesn't really kick in all that often amyways so its kinda pointless imo
I just did it today and it did turn off the VSC/TRAC on my AWD coz i saw the symbol light up on the dash, but i didnt notice anything different when i was driving it. I thought i read somewhere that it was suppose to change like the throttle response, the steering, and other things ALSO, but seemed the same to me.
Old 02-09-06, 02:48 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rljones
The VDIM seems to have a dedicated fuse (see manual).

Has anyone tried pulling that fuse to see if the VDIM control is removed (since pulling fuse is a fairly safe method to inactivate circuitry)?
That's interesting... if that is the case, it should be relatively straight forward to wire up a switch that would let you switch it on/off at will.
Old 02-09-06, 11:48 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
This is all I've heard for now:

"no trac....no vsc...no electric countersteering.....and the gas pedal responce is quicker......"
So is that quote above true when u do the "code/cheat" ????
Old 03-03-06, 12:10 AM
JamRWS6
Driver

Originally Posted by 4DOORFUN
Anybody recall the GM "skip shift" crap on the Corvettes? The aftermarket took care of that.
True but that is easy to disable without any combination of parking brake and foot brake Just stomp on the go pedal.
Old 03-03-06, 09:47 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

I don't beleive it's been answered yet but is there a 'paper trail' regarding the frequencey (or even if it was used just once) that is stored for the dealers to see.
Old 03-03-06, 10:04 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr.BeboT
I don't beleive it's been answered yet but is there a 'paper trail' regarding the frequencey (or even if it was used just once) that is stored for the dealers to see.
Interesting. So will a frequent use of the code affect the warranty somehow?
Old 04-26-06, 06:05 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

In order to smog the vehicle in CA they'd have to use this feature as the car gets run on a tread mill dyno. Unfortunately they only need the TRAC OFF button since the emissions test only uses low speed. That button isn't for our benefit, but more for the smog test. The OBDII codes don't have a provision to readout the number of times it's been switched off but I could plug a code reader in while it's off and see what code is tossed.

I'm not sure if the VDIM/VSC/TRAC makes the car understeer as bad as it does but I do know the throttle goes pretty dead when I try to accelerate from the apex to exit on a corner. I'm going to try some more experiments at 9/10's and see if the car really does handle differently without the VSC off and whether the VSC is cutting out the throttle. If so I will build a black box to modify the Trac off button to perform the same function as the brake tap dance.

For foul weather or driver's who have never driven a race car the VDIM (etc) system is the way to go. For those of us who bought a $40K high performance car, we've been duped a bit were it not for the hidden defeat.
Old 04-26-06, 11:58 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phillip31
So is that quote above true when u do the "code/cheat" ????
I can verify everything but the throttle response, I haven't noticed much of a difference there...
Old 05-13-06, 11:56 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Can someone clearify all this for me?

What does the traction control button on the dash really disable?

What does doing the pedal dance do?

From reading this thread it sounds like

The Trac button allows for wheel spin below 30mph only? It will not allow the car to slide?

and the pedal dance allows you to slid the car around? Say drift the car?

If anyone is familiar with BMWs is it like DTC and DSC? Pushing the DTC button allows for some wheel spin to get you out of snow and holding the DTC button for more than 3 seconds disables Dynamic Stability Control and lets you slide the car around all you want?

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)