IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Turn off those damn seatbelt alarms!?!?

Old 11-16-05, 02:19 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD727
Let's stay on topic here -- which is, does anyone know how to disable this annoying feature? If someone decides not to wear their seatbelt it's their choice and more importaly this isn't the forum for that topic - so, how can we disable this annoying, nagging, pain in the butt feature!!!
How can you disable it? How about just wear your seatbelt...
Old 11-16-05, 02:27 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope it really is in the manual, because i'd like to turn it off as well. the new GS is the same. i will look in the GS manual tonight and see if there's any mention of it.
Old 11-16-05, 09:55 PM
SteveG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
. Didn't you ever read the studies that show the majority of accidents happen within 5 miles of the home...
oh man this 'statistic' annoys the hell out of me.

people, think really hard about this.. say your job is 7.5 miles from your home. that means you drive 15 miles each day, and 10 of those miles are within 5 miles of your home.

66% chance right there your accident will be within 5 miles of your home. throw in grocery runs and dry cleaners etc. and there you have it.

also, 81% of all statistics are made up.

oh and i cant find the instructions in my manual either to turn off the chime. its not gonna break my heart but i was a little curious. i tend to pop off my seat belt when i pull into the parking lot.
Old 11-17-05, 07:40 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveG
81% of all statistics are made up.
So, is this one among the 81% or the 19%?
Old 11-17-05, 11:21 AM
the lndr
Driver

is it or is it not in the manual?
Old 11-17-05, 12:33 PM
MD727
Rookie

It's Not In The Manual..end Of Story
Old 11-17-05, 01:58 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agreed

Not in manual, cant be done....without pulling a plug or something (im not so upset that im gonna start cutting wires or short circuiting things!) glad to hear that other people are interested in turning it off too. i actually like the flashing sensor so if i have to get rid of that to defeat the audible alarm, i dont know what i would do - oh, i guess i would kill both! (and just yell at someone who didnt put the belt on!)
Old 11-17-05, 03:13 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default there must be a way

I'm sure it can be done. I turned off the warning chime in the Matrix a month ago. Now the warning light just blinks and there's silence. A Lexus is a Toyota, so if I can turn it off on the Matrix I'm sure there's a sequence to change it on the new IS without taking it to the dealer.

The problem is the Matrix insructions requires turning the key in the ignition. Since new IS has a "start" button I doubt it will work the same. Some Lexus tech must know what to do. We just have to keep searching or experiment.

Here's the Matrix instructions just so you get an idea...

1. turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake
2. cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B)
3. turn the ignition to the LOCK (OFF) position
4. unbuckle the driver's seatbelt if it was buckled.
5. turn the key to the ON position. when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)
6. while still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.
7. the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.
8. the process should be completed when you unbuckle or turn the key off.
Old 11-17-05, 05:08 PM
terenshi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knox_sport
I'm sure it can be done. I turned off the warning chime in the Matrix a month ago. Now the warning light just blinks and there's silence. A Lexus is a Toyota, so if I can turn it off on the Matrix I'm sure there's a sequence to change it on the new IS without taking it to the dealer.

The problem is the Matrix insructions requires turning the key in the ignition. Since new IS has a "start" button I doubt it will work the same. Some Lexus tech must know what to do. We just have to keep searching or experiment.

Here's the Matrix instructions just so you get an idea...

1. turn the key to the ON position, foot off the brake
2. cycle the odometer with the trip reset button until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B)
5. turn the key to the ON position. when the dash lights have come on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)
6. while still holding the trip reset button, buckle the driver's side seatbelt.
7. the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.
Thanks knox_sport !!!
The damn seatbelt alarms on my IS250 has gone away now
I got the STUPID DRL turned off yesterday and today I got the DAMN seatbelt alarms off. lol
My car is much much........ better now
Old 11-17-05, 05:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by terenshi
Thanks knox_sport !!!
I got the STUPID DRL turned off yesterday and today I got the DAMN seatbelt alarms off. lol
Interesting... so the secret sequence for the Matrix does work for the IS250 too eh. Now if only we can have some of our Japanese fellows find the sequence for disabling VDIM on one of the JDM cars such as the Crown and Mark X which have been around much longer than the GS430 many IS350 owners here will be happy too.
Old 11-17-05, 05:29 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

this may sound weird, but my ZX-2 has the same annoying feature.

PUSH THE BUTTON ON THE SEATBELT BUCKLE. simple solution, ill bet it goes away. if not, you get a cookie

and dont feel stupid if ti does go away...cause it took me a few weeks to figure out how to stop it.

when it dings, push the button and then it shouldnt do it again for the rest fo the time the car is on.
Old 11-17-05, 05:38 PM
viet658
Driver

Originally Posted by terenshi
Thanks knox_sport !!!
Didn't work for me on my IS350. What did you do exactly to get it to work?
Old 11-17-05, 05:44 PM
terenshi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by viet658
Didn't work for me on my IS350. What did you do exactly to get it to work?

1. turn the key to the ON position which means pressing the start button twice on the new IS since it doesn't has the key, foot off the brake
2. Press the trip reset button couple of times until the ODO is displayed (not trip A or B)
5. turn the key to the ON position again press the start button twice. when the dash lights comes on, press and hold the trip reset button and count a slow 12 seconds. (editor's note, hold it more like 30 sec)
7.and the odometer display should read "b ON" or "b OFF". toggle the beep OFF with the trip reset.

Last edited by terenshi; 11-17-05 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IWasHungry (10-10-17)
Old 11-17-05, 06:05 PM
United #10
Pole Position

It worked. No more sound!!!
Old 11-17-05, 06:18 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default cool

that's sweet. in less than 2 hours the toyota procedure was adapted to a Lexus and works. A Toyota (whoops-Lexus) is a Toyota is a Toyota.

It only makes sense. Toyota doesn't get great reliability ratings and make enormous profits by reinventing the wheel with every new model. if something electronic works, adapt it for another car and save engineering $$.

Now let's start mining the GS boards and find out how they've turned off those other "nannies".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn off those damn seatbelt alarms!?!?