IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 08:26 PM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexManDC
The new IS has the second most leg room for front passengers of any Lex in the line (excluding SUV's). It is also much more comfortable then the IS300. Then again am only 5'4
Thanks, but the problem is rear leg room for the other joy seekers in the the IS
Old 11-01-05, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexManDC
The new IS has the second most leg room for front passengers of any Lex in the line (excluding SUV's). It is also much more comfortable then the IS300. Then again am only 5'4
haha yeah, we are talking about the rear seats here

even the is300 i had a lot of front leg room
Old 11-01-05, 09:56 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i was going to hold my judgement until i really see the car, but i am not surprised. the IS is kinda on the small side after all, just like 3 and c.

imho this is definitely not a car to get if you have rear passengers
You hit the nail on the head! If you have kids older than 8, don't buy this car 'cause you'll be dissapointed. Last weekend my wife, my daughter and I test drove the E90 and IS350 back to back here in Dallas.
The E90 narrowly wins in backseat room since it has a more expansive area for both legroom and seating(all 3 of us sat in the back of both). BTW, IS350 blows it away in straight line accel(and I love the dash better than the E90's).
Old 11-03-05, 08:04 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

How tall would you say this guy is? Is looks to me there is decent leg room on this pic.
Wasn't this the guy that said he adjusted the front seat to his liking and then sat in the back?

Old 11-03-05, 08:08 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

The one also looks like ample knee room.

Old 11-03-05, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

maybe he likes to sit up very straight?

seriously, i have sat and driven the new gs quite a few times. with my normal driving position, when i sit in the back i get around those space. that's why i can imagine what the is350 is like
Old 11-03-05, 01:21 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe he likes to sit up very straight?

seriously, i have sat and driven the new gs quite a few times. with my normal driving position, when i sit in the back i get around those space. that's why i can imagine what the is350 is like

I don't understand what you mean, get around those space???
Old 11-03-05, 02:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Good find. This guy looks no shorter than 5'10 - 5'11" and look at the legroom. It proves my point.

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
How tall would you say this guy is? Is looks to me there is decent leg room on this pic.
Wasn't this the guy that said he adjusted the front seat to his liking and then sat in the back?

Old 11-03-05, 02:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The one also looks like ample knee room.

Top picture is the New IS. Bottom is an E46 3 Series.
Old 11-03-05, 09:01 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Top picture is the New IS. Bottom is an E46 3 Series.
I thought the rear leg room was too small at first glance but after actually seatting on the rear, It was fine. I think it is one of those visually not right but actually feels good after trying it... just like an IS!
Old 11-03-05, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I don't understand what you mean, get around those space???
damn, sorry, i put it in a very bad way. i mean when i was in the back of the gs (with the front adjusted to my liking), i get about the same kind of space shown in the pics above
Old 11-04-05, 04:14 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheelbase determines legroom.....

Then it's up to the designer to portion out the amount of front space vs. rear space. I wonder sometimes about the NBA players and their problems with legroom and headroom...I have a very good customer who has chronic leg pain if he cannot stretch his gas pedal leg enough. The aftermarket interior guys won't touch it due to the liability of a seat track failure.

Since I spend a lot of time in the back seat during test drives I am qualified to give an opinion..
I'm 5'9" and the IS250 has enough room for me provided that the person in front is under 6'2". I prefer to sit in the passenger side in the back as I can observe the driver and communicate better from there. Any rear wheel drive Lexus will have a drivetrain hump in the middle and the center seat is only useful for small children. This car is a compact so it is expected to be small. Believe it or not many customers consider the current ES330 to be too big. It will probably get bigger when the ES350 comes out toting a new 6 speed auto. That would make a good family sedan choice. BTW, We sold our demo and were out of any IS250's/350's for a couple of days and we have taken more special orders than any other car in the last 10 years. The IS appeals to a wide segment of buyers.
Old 11-04-05, 06:10 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seat room

Originally Posted by OUMalibu
When I took my test drive, I set the driver's seat to make myself comfortable and then climbed into the backseat directly behind.

I'm only 5'9" and I felt quite cramped in the back. The main problem was that you can't get your feet under the front seats, which made the tight quarters feel even worse.

It's not horrible, but I'm also not going to be volunteering to drive when I'm with a group of friends, and that stinks.
Here's a pic of my brother in the back of the IS, and I'm pretty sure those are his feet under the front seat. He is 5'9" and the front seat driving position was set up for me also at 5'9". Could they have used an extra 2 inches like the 3 series - YES, is it unbearable for a couple hour ride? No. For an all day cross country trip? Yeah.

Old 11-05-05, 12:01 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know what you're looking for in this sedan...it's designed to be in the same class as the C class and 3 series and the A4 none of these have "ample" leg room; which is really relative. if you wanted to be able to sit comfortably in the rear seat, you might want to look at the GS
Old 11-05-05, 09:38 AM
IS350spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foofighter
I dont know what you're looking for in this sedan...it's designed to be in the same class as the C class and 3 series and the A4 none of these have "ample" leg room; which is really relative. if you wanted to be able to sit comfortably in the rear seat, you might want to look at the GS
Foofighter, one thing, the IS has the least amount of rear legroom of the three you sighted, that is why the disappointment.

The A4 feels bigger due to the foot well made under the rear of the seat than it actually is, but still provides more legroom than the IS.

All Lexus had to do was allow for the passengers feet to fit under the front seats and they would have made the car that much more comfortable in the IS.

Try the back seat of the A4, you will see what I mean.

As for the C class and E90, they both have more rear legroom than the IS with the E90 on paper and in my test, having the most.

It does vary based on seating positions, but I for one put my seat all the way down as I like to sit as low as possible, and have been doing this for years and I am not about to change my seating position to be higher so the rear seat passengers can get their feet beneath the seat, IMO Lexus blew it on this detail.

Even the rags point out this deficiency.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Dissapointment rear leg room