IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smokey Granite Mica owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 02:12 PM
skynite
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
It's my understanding that SGM was called Black Pearl before it was called SGM, hence the confusion. They probably changed it because of the obvious confusion between Black Onyx and Black Pearl. There are people who have ordered SGM IS's and on their paperwork it says Black Pearl. I think that's what's leading to the confusion in this thread. Black Onyx is metallic black. SGM/Black Pearl is the charcoal grey metallic color we've seen on the '06's. Please note that Flint Mica and GGP are different colors entirely.

thank you.....
Old 11-15-05, 07:20 PM
chieway
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skynite
Any comments from you guys about your color? Do you have any complaints, likes, dislikes? Are you happy with you color choice? I'm interested in seeing what people think about the smokey granite.

or ?

or ?

or ?

: or ?

any comments would be nice. hehe
I got the IS250 with SGM color last week
Old 11-15-05, 10:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by skynite
I don't see the code for black pearl. Could it be possible that it is the same color but a different name, as my saleman has stated. Maybe the 06 models will now have SGM. My sales guys also stated that they use the same touch up paint. So, if what you saying is true, that both colors are so different, wouldn't they have different touch up paints for them. My sales guy showed me the code on the door jam for the IS350 and the SC430 and they both matched.

Who cares what they call it, the color sucks, everyone buy the black onyx instead, less confusion. You don't want your car to be confused with a black pearl, do you?
To tell you the truth, your salesman may not be as knowledgeable or informed as some of us here. The info they get are from their sales meetings with management and the factory reps. And yes it's true SGM was called black pearl because the official name wasnt released at the time and a generic name was given for it. SGM is a gray/charcoal color...it's not even close to a black pearl in my opinion.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-15-05 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 12:54 AM
Eiso
Driver

Saw that in person too, looks pretty good to me. I still prefer Crystal White!
Old 01-25-06, 06:29 AM
charlesmsn
Driver

When I went to my dealer, they said that only ONE SMG was shipped to the entire SE region for the month of January!

Talk about creating a demand! Of course it wasn't fit with the options I wanted so I had re-evaluate whether I wanted to wait until April to stop sitting in showroom IS's and just pick another color.

Unfortunately, (at least in my area) unless you're in the market for tungsten, black, white or red, you're pretty much SOL. Happy waiting!
Old 01-25-06, 06:32 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SMG color make the car look outdated too fast...
Old 01-25-06, 06:34 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tim817
SMG color make the car look outdated too fast...
To each his own. Personally, I can't stand white, I think the red is too maroon, the green is just hideous, and black is, well, black. SGM is killer
Old 01-25-06, 07:16 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

I saw the color (SGM) inside the showroom under artificial light and had to have it. It does look different in sun, verse shade, verse darkness. I was also thinking this color might just be trendy and I will more than likely hate it in 3 years and that was one of the reasons that pushed me to lease. For now, I think the color is sweet. I live in a small town (population of 13K) so I doubt I will have to worry about 100's of SGM IS's running around.
Old 01-25-06, 07:19 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wakesetter
I saw the color (SGM) inside the showroom under artificial light and had to have it. It does look different in sun, verse shade, verse darkness. I was also thinking this color might just be trendy and I will more than likely hate it in 3 years and that was one of the reasons that pushed me to lease. For now, I think the color is sweet. I live in a small town (population of 13K) so I doubt I will have to worry about 100's of SGM IS's running around.
It is a trendy color. Lots of manufactureres (Subaru, VW, Audi) all have their versions of it now, and I'm hard pressed to recall seeing it in years past.

But who cares! If it looks good, it looks good. I certainly wouldn't base a lease/buy decision on a color. Things like miles travelled per year, tax writeoff applicability, etc. seem to apply a bit more
Old 01-25-06, 07:29 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

No, I planned to lease it anyway I just figured I would throw that in because I typically get tired of trendy colors. I will get back to you in 3 years and let you know
Old 01-25-06, 08:29 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heffergm
It is a trendy color. Lots of manufactureres (Subaru, VW, Audi) all have their versions of it now, and I'm hard pressed to recall seeing it in years past.

But who cares! If it looks good, it looks good. I certainly wouldn't base a lease/buy decision on a color. Things like miles travelled per year, tax writeoff applicability, etc. seem to apply a bit more

You don't have to convince me, I could have gone either way on the SGM vs. Black Onyx. SGM is an amazing color, it's to me, the darkest dark-gray out there, and the metallic flake is tremendous in light! I ended up with black, because to me there's nothing better when it's clean.... WHEN it's clean. The SGM will be MUCH less maintenance of course and I think it looks at least 90 percent as good when both are sqeaky clean!
Old 01-25-06, 08:32 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

100% agree to all that. black is always sweet but I have to drive the SUV to pull the boat in the summer which means my wife will be driving the IS and the TLC a black car needs would not be received by her if you know what I mean.
Old 01-25-06, 08:35 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
You don't have to convince me, I could have gone either way on the SGM vs. Black Onyx. SGM is an amazing color, it's to me, the darkest dark-gray out there, and the metallic flake is tremendous in light! I ended up with black, because to me there's nothing better when it's clean.... WHEN it's clean. The SGM will be MUCH less maintenance of course and I think it looks at least 90 percent as good when both are sqeaky clean!
Here are pics from my whole debate ordeal:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&goto=newpost

Old 01-25-06, 08:39 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

They both look sweet to me (when they are clean).
Old 01-25-06, 08:39 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

I love the color. I've come from a Silver BMW, and before that I've had cars in green, black, red, etc. It is harder to keep clean over the silver but I think it looks way better when it is clean.

Quick Reply: Smokey Granite Mica owners!!!!