IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation and so much more...

Old 10-25-05, 06:33 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation and so much more...

I attended the local Lexus dealer's open house for the new IS and was amazed on how awesome the navigation system is.

Both my wife and I drove the IS250 and IS350 during the Taste of Lexus last month, but never had enough time to really explore the navigation system until tonight.

I loved how the voice activation worked. I asked it to find all the Italian restaurants in the area, and sure enough they appeared on the map. I then touched the screen where the Italian flags appeared and got the name of the restaurant. You can then press the Info icon with your finger and get more information.

The screen also makes selecting radio stations much easier. The stations appear on the screen and you can simply press the station you want to listen to with your finger.

I know many new cars offer these features, I just never saw an entire system come together so well.

P.S. It looks like I will be taking delivery of my new IS350 this Friday (Oct 28) with Nav + ML.
Old 10-25-05, 07:48 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

If you get the is350 with nav and ml you will be one lucky, and happy person. GOOD LUCK with the new car..
Old 10-25-05, 09:16 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aka pablo
why does that stupid voice have to tell me what to do every time I push the speak button? annoying, imo.
This is really driving me nuts!! I hope somebody developes a workaround for this.

Lex
Old 10-25-05, 11:25 PM
roadrocket
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MR LEX
This is really driving me nuts!! I hope somebody developes a workaround for this.

Lex
I agree the NAV (nag) voice is annoying after the 2nd time and now it's so annoying that I dont like using it now, and I've had my IS350 less than a week! Along with the end user agreement that pops up EVERY time you start the car these things get old very fast, If you are buying the car can't they have you just answer the agreement once and you're good to go? it's like having your mother telling you to "be careful driving because it's a dangerous world out there" nag, nag, nag. lawyers I tell ya....... Please, somebody come up with a fix / workaround for this flaw in a otherwise wonderful car.
Old 10-26-05, 07:21 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Acura Navi you must confirm the agreement everytime you power it up. After a month or two, you get use to it. I've been pressing the OK button for over 5 years now.

I also turn the voice part of the Navi OFF completely. I never use it. The one or two times I do, it's actually pleasant to hear the female voice.
Old 10-26-05, 07:42 AM
skynite
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus_x_2
P.S. It looks like I will be taking delivery of my new IS350 this Friday (Oct 28) with Nav + ML.
Did you get the VN or the NV+ML? Do you knnow the difference? The VN is much more advanced... ie. more features.
Old 10-26-05, 08:17 AM
fz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadrocket
Along with the end user agreement that pops up EVERY time you start the car these things get old very fast, If you are buying the car can't they have you just answer the agreement once and you're good to go? it's like having your mother telling you to "be careful driving because it's a dangerous world out there" nag, nag, nag. lawyers I tell ya....... Please, somebody come up with a fix / workaround for this flaw in a otherwise wonderful car.
I agree with you on that one...once is enough! I guess it's in case someone borrows the car or something so Lexus doesn't get sued when some idiot wrecks when they are messing with the NAV and not watching where they are going. This is dumb as well becuase most of the NAV functions are unavailble when the car is moving. Makes sense but I wish they were available when a passenger is present because the passenger (aka co-pilot) could work the NAV while driving.
Old 10-26-05, 09:03 AM
jiggyman
Driver School Candidate

Try the Nav override from the 2006 GS. It works! Now your passenger can use the Nav while you are driving.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167666
Old 10-26-05, 12:25 PM
Runt888
Driver School Candidate

What is the difference between VN and Nav+ML?
Old 10-26-05, 12:40 PM
skynite
Rookie

Originally Posted by Runt888
What is the difference between VN and Nav+ML?
I believe the VN package, which has ML integrated, has DVD audio and DTS, etc. The NV + the ML package will not. The ML is added on instead of being integrated. There was a great thread that explained everything. Can someone find it? I try to look for it. Try to search for it. There more to it then just that, but the DVD audio and DTS were deciding factors for me to chose the VN package instead.
Old 10-26-05, 04:09 PM
jp82729
Rookie

Originally Posted by MR LEX

Lex
Go to MENU => SETUP and look for "Voice Recognition Guidance" and turn it off. This should help.
Old 10-26-05, 06:22 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by skynite
Did you get the VN or the NV+ML? Do you knnow the difference? The VN is much more advanced... ie. more features.
I have not picked-up my car yet, but I do have the VIN and all the paperwork completed. The waiting is the hardest part. Friday can't get here soon enough.

Navigation System/Mark Levinson Package - $3,990

- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System with backup camera and Bluetooth® technology
- Mark Levinson® 14-speaker, 300-watt Premium Surround Sound Audio System with 7.1 architecture and in-dash, single feed, six-disc CD/DVD auto-changer
Old 10-26-05, 07:09 PM
R1C3boiGTS
Driver School Candidate

i think the reason why they have that warning in there is not only for legal purposes, but it also takes time for the GPS to get a connection with the satellites when you 1st turn your car on. So whiles its displaying that message, its also looking for satellites to connect to.
Old 10-26-05, 07:28 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jp82729
Go to MENU => SETUP and look for "Voice Recognition Guidance" and turn it off. This should help.
MANY THANKS!! I had no idea it was that simple

Lex
Old 10-27-05, 04:46 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New setup menu in Gen 5 Nav.....

You can also change the keyboard to the QWERTY type if you like. Graphics very crisp on the new VGA monitor and it now speaks Spanish. I have a request in for Brazilian Portuguese.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation and so much more...