IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250/350 - Owners' Problems/Bugs/Gripes/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 07:25 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default IS 250/350 - Owners' Problems/Bugs/Gripes/Issues

since the cars are now officially on the streets, it would be interesting to hear from owners about any real-life problems or gripes you've had with the cars

this is an all new model after all

Last edited by Lexus3oi; 10-24-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 09:05 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Ask this question again in about 3-6 months, then we'll be able to tell
Old 10-21-05, 09:45 AM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear first impressions. The problem is that many new owners are going to be in the honeymoon period, and will also be resluctant to come out of denial about something they just spent a lot of money on. I think we would all be guilty of that.

Then you have those of us who are waiting, and are in a frenzy to take delivery. Everything on the car seems to be made of gold, despite how hard we try to be objective.

So far, I have found the best feedback to be from those who have a lot of complaints about the car. They tend to over-emphasize the negatives, but they seem to hit the issues right on the head, despite a potential for over-exaggeration.
Old 10-21-05, 12:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Other than an empty bank account, I have no complaints yet...
Old 10-21-05, 01:26 PM
GonzoBuggs
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Other than an empty bank account, I have no complaints yet...

Did you get yours????
Old 10-22-05, 07:47 PM
IluvIS350
Driver School Candidate

Default Can't Play DVD without ML

I am not sure if it is me or the car I cannot play DVD (yes, in park). I do have NV and of course no ML...can someone help me?
Old 10-22-05, 08:02 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IluvIS350
I am not sure if it is me or the car I cannot play DVD (yes, in park). I do have NV and of course no ML...can someone help me?
From what I understand, you need to have the nav/ML combo option in order to play DVD's.
Old 10-22-05, 08:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by IluvIS350
DVD Video & Audio playback is reserved for the Mark Levinson/Nav packaged vehicles only.
Old 10-22-05, 09:49 PM
pinoychris
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the empty bank account. Also, the breaking in period is so tough. It's sooo easy to go fast. I ended up getting to 80 effortlessly and I have to watch the odometer all the time. Maybe I should change that odometer indicator to something before 80.
Old 10-23-05, 04:12 AM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

This is a minor gripe but it would have been nice to have the ability to view the "actual" tire pressure in each of the 4 tires rather than just a notification when they are "significantly" low on pressure

Lex
Old 10-23-05, 05:25 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GonzoBuggs
I'd love to hear first impressions. The problem is that many new owners are going to be in the honeymoon period, and will also be resluctant to come out of denial about something they just spent a lot of money on. I think we would all be guilty of that.

Then you have those of us who are waiting, and are in a frenzy to take delivery. Everything on the car seems to be made of gold, despite how hard we try to be objective.

So far, I have found the best feedback to be from those who have a lot of complaints about the car. They tend to over-emphasize the negatives, but they seem to hit the issues right on the head, despite a potential for over-exaggeration.
Sometimes that honeymoon denial phase lasts long into the ownership period. I laugh when ask a bmw or benz owner about reliability. Most of the time they say, no problems at all. Then I say, that's unusual, those cars have a history of electrical and other issues. You must have gotten a good one. They say, yeah it's great. Except the radio goes out sometimes. Sometimes the battery dies mysteriously. Oh, and one day the car shut off in traffic. The dealer can't seem to fix it...but it's been great.
Old 10-23-05, 06:53 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MR LEX
This is a minor gripe but it would have been nice to have the ability to view the "actual" tire pressure in each of the 4 tires rather than just a notification when they are "significantly" low on pressure

Lex
Tire gauge...
Old 10-23-05, 11:09 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

What problems are 06 GS owners having? We haven't had any problems with either one so far. 6000 & 9000 miles, 0 problems

Reason I ask is because the IS is using a lot of the same technology that the GS uses, so maybe we'd be able to get an educated guess on it.
Old 10-24-05, 12:57 AM
roadrocket
Driver School Candidate

I picked up my IS350 this evening and was quite pleased with how it looked waiting for me to take delivery
drove it off the lot and noticed a rattling sound in the headliner/moonroof area, then noticed that the rear package tray (the part that covers the rear window shade) was warped or not installed correctly, and I pointed it out to the salesman who promptly made an appoinment for me with the service personel to have them take a look, and I have noticed a smell of burning oil, not sure if its the normal burn off of assembly lube, brakes or something worse? I hope the are just minor issues and not a prelude of things to come?
Old 10-24-05, 12:35 PM
roadrocket
Driver School Candidate

I went to the dealer this morning and my sales guys met me and introduced me to "My" service rep and made sure I was taken care of, the service rep checked the rear package tray and agreed with me that it was warped and that they would order me a new one, from the factory in Japan, so it will be a couple of weeks before it arrives, I'm ok with that lenght of time as long as I know they are going to takecare of it,

Quick Reply: IS 250/350 - Owners' Problems/Bugs/Gripes/Issues